Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

Rob w

Re: Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Postby Rob w » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 pm

It's certainly available on EBay, if not Amazon. It's quite pricey for what it is, but a little goes a long way. A pea sized blob of each part should give you enough gum to make a decent stamp.

The Outcast

Postby The Outcast » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:38 pm

Not as much a customisation question but a repair question, but is it possible to unbend Dalek solar slats? I've recently obtained a Dalek which has its slats bent weirdly and would like to know if it's possible to fix it.

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 pm

The Outcast wrote:Not as much a customisation question but a repair question, but is it possible to unbend Dalek solar slats? I've recently obtained a Dalek which has its slats bent weirdly and would like to know if it's possible to fix it.

If you can take them off the figure then you might be able to soak them in hot water for a few minutes and bend them back into shape...you COULD soak the whole dalek however that does run the risk of damaging the other parts on the Dalek.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Is there an easy way to remove slats besides cutting them off?

fincon16

Postby fincon16 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:37 pm

The Outcast wrote:Not as much a customisation question but a repair question, but is it possible to unbend Dalek solar slats? I've recently obtained a Dalek which has its slats bent weirdly and would like to know if it's possible to fix it.

Sorry I'm late to the party here! What size is your Dalek? If it's a 12" one I may have a spare set of slats I could let you have.
Collector and occasional customiser of 12" Daleks

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:22 am

I'm getting a 9th/10th Doctor TARDIS to customize into a 8th/War Doctor TARDIS, but I don't know how I could paint the windows so they still let light through when turned on. Is there a special kind of paint I could use that is mostly transparent when painted on? All I need to do it tint the windows slightly yellow.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:24 pm

SomeCleverReference wrote:I'm getting a 9th/10th Doctor TARDIS to customize into a 8th/War Doctor TARDIS, but I don't know how I could paint the windows so they still let light through when turned on. Is there a special kind of paint I could use that is mostly transparent when painted on? All I need to do it tint the windows slightly yellow.

When I made one the first time around, I think I used model paint that I thinned out some and only painted it very thinly, but for my second attempt I just replaced the LEDs with warm white ones for the same effect, but I wouldn't recommend that if you're inexperienced with electronics (and also if you value your sanity, I found it very frustrating).

EmeraldThorn

Postby EmeraldThorn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:20 pm

I watered down some yellow paint and then added it in thin layers, front windows on the inside and the rest on the outside as I had already reassembled it. I think it turned out well, though I need to resolder the wires to see if the lighting works still.

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:26 pm

How do you thin out the paint? Wouldn't that just make it more watery, and make it easier to see the brush strokes when it's finished?

The Outcast

Postby The Outcast » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:16 am

fincon16 wrote:

Sorry I'm late to the party here! What size is your Dalek? If it's a 12" one I may have a spare set of slats I could let you have.

A 5.5 scale Necros Dalek. I have spare slats, but I'd have to repaint them which would mean finding both the white and gold shades used. Also, the last time I tried to paint a Dalek... Well... Lets just say it didn't end well.

Return to “Customs”