Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

Doctor What

Re: What 12th Doctor customs can be made?

Postby Doctor What » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:41 pm

The green hoodie one is from Under the Lake/Before the Flood and the white T-Shirt one is based on The Girl Who Died, not The Magician's Apprentice.

Here's a list of all the hoodie costumes possible with these figures (this excludes anything with the black velvet frock with blue lining as that coat is longer than the crombies).

Annoyingly the 12th Doctor has a black hoodie and a very dark blue hoodie (used on the Girl Who Died figure) which both look quite similar depending on the lighting.

The first two are very simple and from various episodes - simply paint the green hoodie figure's hoodie either black or the same dark blue as the other figure.

Then you have The Magician's apprentice variant, which features a different T-Shirt design, grey checked trousers and what seems to be the dark blue hoodie (although it can be hard to tell).

Next is the costume from The Woman Who Lived, which features a different, blueish grey hoodie, different checked trousers and the black jumper, although with a dark red undershirt and not a white one (meaning the holes will appear dark red and not white). You might want to study some episode screengrabs for the trousers, as the publicity photos don't show them off very well.

The final variant of series 9 is from the start of Face the Raven, which is pretty much the Under the Lake figure but with a black hoodie and a black T-shirt with a "space shark" design.

Next hoodie variants are the velvet ones. For the red velvet, i'd advise studying the colour of the upcoming B&M red velvet figure to match it, but sadly the coats are different so I don't think you would be able to swap them (although i've never tried).

First up is The Return of Doctor Mysterio. This costume seems to be the red velvet coat with the dark blue hoodie, and a red holey jumper with a blue undershirt. There's not many well lit pictures of this costume, so you might want to do additional research if you want to make it. There's also a strange radio times variant where he wears a white shirt instead of a jumper.

Next is Extremis, which is basically the Under the Lake figure but with either the black or dark blue hoodie and the red velvet coat.

Now the black and blue velvet crombies have a couple of variants too I believe, but i'm not sure on those, so I'll leave those out for now.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:02 pm

I recently made this using the jacket and head from the "Time of the Doctor" set.

Only needed to engineer a new shirt front and waistcoat.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Ben C.

Postby Ben C. » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:11 pm

The stock 12th is 'close enough' for a Magician's Apprentice version though, I think. Not worth a repaint and repackage.

Would love a 'Lie of the Land' outfit though! How did it turn out, skifflebits?

CaptainJimiPie

Re: Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:26 pm

I decided to merge with this the Beginners Guide as it seemed more like a general question rather than a whole separate thread! Some great idea popping up here though!

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Ben C. wrote:Would love a 'Lie of the Land' outfit though! How did it turn out, skifflebits?

Surprisingly good, considering my lack of sculpting skills. :) The texture on the TotD jacket is a good match for the linen on 12's LotL / Missy Flashback coat. So I just painted it black then used a lot of white dry-brushing to get the worn look.

I also whitened up the hair on the head that came with the TotD set to match the season 10 color. I always liked the expression on that head more than on the first "official" release. Glad they got it right later, though.

I'm terrible at sculpting, so I carved up the waistcoat on the figure and laid it over the shirt from another 12 figure. I screwed up on the cut of it, though, so I'm now having to figure out how to add more material to give that sharp angle that one has from the neck to the top button. It's tough to sculpt something that thin with lines that straight. :)

But overall I'm really pleased with it. I'll post a pic of the "close-enough" state it's in so far as soon as I have a spare moment.

Ben C.

Postby Ben C. » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Sounds great! And yea - the waistcoat is a pain. I ultimately fabricated one out of black gaffer's tape - cutting an existing vest up doesn't work out well :)

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:58 pm

Ben C. wrote:
Sounds great! And yea - the waistcoat is a pain. I ultimately fabricated one out of black gaffer's tape - cutting an existing vest up doesn't work out well :)

I'll have to explore the tape angle. Probably way cleaner than sculpting one. Right now I've just got black paint on the shirt where the missing waistcoatbits should be.

skifflebits

Inexpensive console room walls?

Postby skifflebits » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Random question. Does anyone know an inexpensive source for console room walls? Like maybe a laser-etched on Etsy or the like? The last time I saw a really good set it was on eBay for over $200, so it was a non-starter.

I'm just looking for a cut above getting some jpg files color-printed.

Just curious.

ADandyAndAClown

Postby ADandyAndAClown » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:39 am

Hi, everyone. I’m thinking about creating a custom of the 11th Doctor as seen in The Angels Take Manhattan and othe stories. I’m thinking of using a Series 6 figure, since he already has the blue shirt. My question is; what is the best way to repaint the bow tie? Is it better to try and remove it, paint it separately, then reattach it, or is it better to paint it while it’s on the figure? I worry about paint slop, especially since I haven’t really done a custom figure before.

I’d also like to repaint the jacket to match the onscreen look. Would it be smart to do so? I was thinking of painting the jacket and arms tan, then using a thin brown pen and drawing the vertical stripes, and using a peachy-orange for the horizontal stripes. Would this be worth the effort? The Shetland tweed with blue shirt and red bow tie is my favorite look for the 11th Doctor after the 7B costume. I’d really love to have a more accurate version of this figure.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
F97A2CA2-BD4C-4F79-A110-BDEC22A62CD9.jpeg
F97A2CA2-BD4C-4F79-A110-BDEC22A62CD9.jpeg (200.21 KiB) Viewed 926 times
C0BB58D1-F83A-452A-BB17-C29AEDD3DD8F.jpeg
C0BB58D1-F83A-452A-BB17-C29AEDD3DD8F.jpeg (76.65 KiB) Viewed 926 times
"Ah, there you are! I seem to be stuck up here. Hmm? Oh, so you're my replacements. Hmm. A dandy and a clown. Have you done anything?"

"Uh, well we've assessed the situation-"

"Just as I thought! Hmm. Nothing."

The Outcast

Postby The Outcast » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:40 am

Are the heads of the Invasion Cybermen removable, or are the heads plugged into the body and not removable? I say this cause I want to swap the heads over on two of my invasion Cybermen, but don't want to break them.

Return to “Customs”