Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

Racks42

Re: Inexpensive console room walls?

Postby Racks42 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:51 pm

skifflebits wrote:Random question. Does anyone know an inexpensive source for console room walls? Like maybe a laser-etched on Etsy or the like? The last time I saw a really good set it was on eBay for over $200, so it was a non-starter.

I'm just looking for a cut above getting some jpg files color-printed.

Just curious.

i know its been a while since you posted it but there is some on ebay at the moment for around £40, the same seller also has a basic 80's console on for £20
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!
Co-Founder at https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:19 am

Racks42 wrote:
skifflebits wrote:Random question. Does anyone know an inexpensive source for console room walls? Like maybe a laser-etched on Etsy or the like? The last time I saw a really good set it was on eBay for over $200, so it was a non-starter.

Just curious.

i know its been a while since you posted it but there is some on ebay at the moment for around £40, the same seller also has a basic 80's console on for £20

Thanks for the tip! I'll go check it right now...
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Re: Beginners Guide : Tips & Tricks, Ask A Question

Postby bluehinter » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:20 am

I may be working on a full 3D printable console room set in a few weeks, but cheap is a relative term.

If you knew someone with a 3D printer who didn't mind letting you borrow it for a week or two, the filament cost to print an entire console room set would only be $15-45 (That's one to three rolls, depending on whether you want to print the roundels out of a different semi-transparent filament, and whether you're printing solid walls for LED backlighting, or going for mostly hollow for a faster print speed) If you go through an online 3D printing service, you'd be hitting that couple hundred dollar price tag real fast, even for the lowest quality print, just because it's such a massive time-consuming build.
Got a 3D printer? Print your own 5" scale Doctor Who figures today!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3DPrintingDoctorWho/

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:27 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Racks42 wrote:

Just curious.

Thanks for the tip! I'll go check it right now...

All I could find was someone selling the walls from an old Dapol set. :(

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 pm

bluehinter wrote:I may be working on a full 3D printable console room set in a few weeks, but cheap is a relative term.

If you knew someone with a 3D printer who didn't mind letting you borrow it for a week or two, the filament cost to print an entire console room set would only be $15-45 (That's one to three rolls, depending on whether you want to print the roundels out of a different semi-transparent filament, and whether you're printing solid walls for LED backlighting, or going for mostly hollow for a faster print speed) If you go through an online 3D printing service, you'd be hitting that couple hundred dollar price tag real fast, even for the lowest quality print, just because it's such a massive time-consuming build.

"Cheap" is indeed a relative term, though I wonder how the project scales up on different printers at 3dhubs.

Someone's done a modular TARDIS console room set on thingiverse, but in the wrong scale. It's not bad. Obvious joints between the walls, but that didn't bothered me, personally.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:22 pm

Anyone customized a deerstalker onto "Talons" Tom yet? :D

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:56 pm

skifflebits wrote:Anyone customized a deerstalker onto "Talons" Tom yet? :D

Does the sherlock figure they made a while back have one? If so that would be helpful, you'd just need to repaint it and stick it on.

Also Tomfan definitely has one, but that maybe doesn't count, because he made his completely before the official one existed, and also he makes his action figures by reaching into the television screen and just pulling out the tiny characters like in charlie and the chocolate factory, that's why they just look like the real people miniaturised, but if you think about it, it's kind of technically cheating.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Deborah J wrote:

Does the sherlock figure they made a while back have one? If so that would be helpful, you'd just need to repaint it and stick it on.

Sadly, it does not. But Accoutrements made a Sherlock Holmes figure that you can still find some places in the US.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:48 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Deborah J wrote:

Sadly, it does not. But Accoutrements made a Sherlock Holmes figure that you can still find some places in the US.

That's a shame, maybe if they rereleased sherlock with his hat, then they could use the hat on the B&M set for free. it would be lime money from nothing, I don't know why they didn't do that.

EmeraldThorn

Postby EmeraldThorn » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:55 am

Racks42 wrote:

Just curious.

Who is that?

Return to “Customs”