Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

bluehinter

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:34 am

021 - Wirrn
Status: Test printing now. May need additional fine tuning.
3-D Printer template: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/iAayJB1Fb6G

I've got the Wirrn body printing now. It's going to take about 20 hours for each section (I'm printing the butt at 100% fill so it'll have as much weight as possible, and hopefully keep the rest of the torso upright.)

I've gone ahead and made the TinkerCAD version live if anybody desperately wants to jump in, though probably best to wait until end of the week when I've had a chance to verify everything slots together as intended.

This figure took waaaaaay longer than expected, considering that I had an excellent model designed by Hastran to use as my template. Unfortunately, the spindly legs and low polygon count on the body took forever to clean up and smooth out. I'm still not wild about the leg joints, but I've messed with them enough for the time being.

Next up...

022 - Kroton
Last edited by bluehinter on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

skifflebits

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Congrats on finishing the Wirrn! Can't wait to see how it turns out,
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:54 am

Hot off the printer! We have our first Wirrn prototype! (minus the base and half the legs).

Good news: the arm sockets work fine and it can stand up on it's own without the butt section (for those who are original costume purists). It also works great as a finger puppet.

Bad news... I broke the head socket trying to get it into the hole, so that's going to have to be redesigned. (I thought it might.) Also, the body seems weirdly small to me. I'll see what it looks like height-wise when the base is finished printed, but it definitely looks way too skinny to me. (proportionally, it should be about as wide across as any of my other 5" figures, since it was built to have a guy inside of it, but it's at least a good cm narrower) I think the head is fine, but the body probably needs to grow by at least another 20%. While it means reprinting everything, this may be a bit of a blessing in disguise, since it means I can increase the size of the limbs as well. Right now, the pointed tips of the legs are sort of sliding and shearing off because of the angle they have to be printed at, so more surface area means more stability and a better looking print all around. It also means the plugs for the arms might have a bit more friction and won't flop around quite as much.
Still... not bad as far as first printings go. Aside from the Ogri (which had no moving parts) I don't think I've ever had a figure come out perfect on the first try, and this one's problems should be comparatively easy to sort out. I anticipate I'll probably have a final version ready to go sometime next week.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Wow! It's really coming along. Yeah, now that I see it, I think you're right about the size of the body. Curious to see it finished.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:53 am

Here's the finished first printing prototype, and yeah... I definitely need to increase the size by at least 20%. The mandibles should be at least at eye level with Tom, based off what references I can piece together from the episode and other photographic sources.

I also have to hold the butt in place in the photo below because it's far to top-heavy on the top plug end. I'm going to carve it out as much as possible on that side of the figure to try to shift the weight to the back of the base, it may not have enough junk in the trunk to sit upright the way I want it to.
Still, it looks pretty awesome, even if it does have a few flaws that need to be worked out on the next printing.

HubertBonisseur

Postby HubertBonisseur » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm

ImageTardis 5th doctor console by Bruno Billion, on Flickr

This is the finished 3D printed console, expertly painted for me by Agents of Chaos

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Impressive!

Racks42

Postby Racks42 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:58 pm

HubertBonisseur wrote:ImageTardis 5th doctor console by Bruno Billion, on Flickr

This is the finished 3D printed console, expertly painted for me by Agents of Chaos

That is absolutely stunning
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!
Co-Founder at https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:18 pm

that tardis console is really nice, the paintwork could maybe be a little less lumpy, that would be my only critique, but I could never do anything even one tenth as good myself, so I think they've done a great job on it.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:45 am

Deborah J wrote:that tardis console is really nice, the paintwork could maybe be a little less lumpy, that would be my only critique, but I could never do anything even one tenth as good myself, so I think they've done a great job on it.

It's not the paintwork that's lumpy, it was the printing service that printed it at the lowest possible quality setting to crank it out faster.

It only looks as good as it does because Tony sanded and primered the hell out of it, but there's only so much you can do about the buttons.
Here's what that console should look like with no sanding at all. (as you can see, I'm just starting to paint mine)

Admittedly, this is me printing it on a 20 micron printer which is a little better than most standard 100 micron (0.1mm resolution) home printers, but this thing was clearly printed at 1mm... literally the worst resolution it's physically possible to print at on most machines. You can tell because it gets those super noticeable horizontal ziggurat lines anytime you have a sloped surface, and the console is nothing but sloped surfaces. I feel really bad for the folks that paid a lot to have these models printed, and then got screwed over on the quality.

Anyways... back to business. I've got V2 of the Wirrn printing now. I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll have it finished by the middle of next week, and I can move on to the reprint of the War Machine, which takes forever, and I want to leave printing while I'm in Oregon for a week.

Once I get back, I intended to work on the Kroton, but I may take a slight detour and work on the TARDIS console room walls instead. I've got an idea for how to make the whole set modular, with backlit roundels, working doors, and a view screen. The view screen will come with slots where you can print out and slot in your own scanner images, or just build a little room back there so the Ainley Master can cackle menacingly at your 5th Doctor figure.

Depending on how fancy you want to get, you would be able to print extra walls to make the console room a full oval and/or extend the hallway behind it indefinitely. Also, just print the same set in black, and you've immediately got the Master's TARDIS.

Return to “Customs”