CaptainJimiPie's Classic Boxed Customs

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

CaptainJimiPie

CaptainJimiPie's Classic Boxed Customs

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:35 pm

One custom that people have often asked me to make is the Regenerated Seventh Doctor from Time & The Rani.

However I never really wanted to make it as because it was just a repaint and a headswqp there wasn't really anything to it, but after finding myself with all the spare parts and nothing else to do with them I decided to make the figure.

Overall I whilst I was pleased with it, I just felt kind of "unfulfilled" having made it (as I never like to make customs I'm not really interested in making)...so when I realised I had a left over classic regenerated Fifth Doctor package, I thought why not make something that will look great displayed alongside my other boxed classic figures!

IMG_5478.JPG
IMG_5478.JPG (79.55 KiB) Viewed 3261 times

IMG_5480.JPG
IMG_5480.JPG (74.17 KiB) Viewed 3261 times

IMG_5479.JPG
IMG_5479.JPG (80.19 KiB) Viewed 3261 times

So overall it is just a standard box, the back still features the regenerated Fifth Doctor blurb but as it's only ever displayed from the front you'd never know.
The front display insert has been made using a scanned version as a template and then using photoshop edited to fit the figure in the box!

Whilst I haven't no plans to make any other boxed figures I REALLY liked adding this extra little twist and would highly recommend doing it if you have boxes spare!

Live From The Workshop :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqN576dfnjQ

CaptainJimiPie

Re: CJP's Classic Boxed Customs

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:27 am

I decided to rename this thread as I am planning to also make another boxed custom, that of a double pack featuring a regenerated Third Doctor & new Auton variant from Spearhead From Space and I do have a couple of other ideas I might do as well so stay tuned!!

CaptainJimiPie

CaptainJimiPie's Classic Boxed Customs - Third Doctor & Auton

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sat May 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Here is my next boxed custom but also my first two pack, a regenerated Third Doctor & Auton
3rdBoxed.jpg
3rdBoxed.jpg (168.76 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

3rdBoxArt.jpg
3rdBoxArt.jpg (185.09 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

So let's start with the Third Doctor
3rdDoc.jpg
3rdDoc.jpg (74.65 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

Now as first glance you might think this is a Third Doctor head swapped onto a Second Doctor body but as this comparison shows, not so!
3rdDocCompare.jpg
3rdDocCompare.jpg (110.71 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

To give you a breakdown of this figure :

Head - Third Doctor (repainted)
Jacket & Arms - Second Doctor
Torso - Third Doctor (custom shirt sculpt)
Legs - Delgado Master

Originally I did think about just using a Second Doctor body and extending the legs or torso however after looking at others having done it something about it just seemed off to me, the proportions of how it would be if it were Pertwee didn't look right.
So instead I decided to use a Third Doctor figure but with a newly sculpted short front, which I also gave an untucked look to give him more of a post-regeneration dishelved look.
When it came to the legs however again they didn't look right, too long and thin, and the shoes didn't seem the right type. After looking through my spares I realised that shoes wise Delgado's legs were a good match but also they didn't look as "fitted as the Third Doctor trousers so after repainting them they looked ever close to the Second Doctors trousers.
3rdDocHair.jpg
3rdDocHair.jpg (96.13 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

Lastly I repainted the hair to give him a more blondish/grey tones that Pertwee had in his early days. I did consider resculpting the hair to make it shorter to how it was in Spearhead but I was low on Milliput and also I don't think the more curled hairstyle looks out of place when given a more darker repaint.

Next up we have the Auton
Auton.jpg
Auton.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

Figure breakdown :
Head : Spearhead/Enemies of The Third Doctor Auton Head with newly sculpted head
Body : Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart Three Doctors

The Brigs body here required alot of heavy modification, all the braiding, bagdes, pockets have been removed and then I have added on wider lapels, double breasted fitting and buttons
BrigBody.jpg
BrigBody.jpg (191.29 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

Also not in the picture I added an additional piece the belt, and then also added hair. The Auton is based on one on the episode seen in the shop window breakout and street scenes, although in the episode it has a longer coat.

They also stand next to each other about the same height which makes them look better in the box.
3rdDocAuton.jpg
3rdDocAuton.jpg (118.76 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

It's a shame the newest classic B&M set didn't feature a regenerated Third Doctor as alongside the new Brig & Auton it would have been perfect!

Custom Figure Showcase :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeiSz4ThGgU

Koth

Re: CaptainJimiPie's Classic Boxed Customs

Postby Koth » Sat May 26, 2018 4:05 pm

This set needs to be made. I love it!

I thought you had used a Raggedy Doctor there for the body.

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sat May 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Koth wrote:This set needs to be made. I love it!

I thought you had used a Raggedy Doctor there for the body.

Thanks :) I did consider it but it was easier just to sculpt an entire new front in the end

dalekkiller

Re: CaptainJimiPie's Classic Boxed Customs - Third Doctor & Auton

Postby dalekkiller » Sun May 27, 2018 9:01 pm

CaptainJimiPie wrote:Here is my next boxed custom but also my first two pack, a regenerated Third Doctor & Auton
3rdBoxed.jpg
3rdBoxArt.jpg

So let's start with the Third Doctor
3rdDoc.jpg
Now as first glance you might think this is a Third Doctor head swapped onto a Second Doctor body but as this comparison shows, not so!
3rdDocCompare.jpg
To give you a breakdown of this figure :

Head - Third Doctor (repainted)
Jacket & Arms - Second Doctor
Torso - Third Doctor (custom shirt sculpt)
Legs - Delgado Master

Originally I did think about just using a Second Doctor body and extending the legs or torso however after looking at others having done it something about it just seemed off to me, the proportions of how it would be if it were Pertwee didn't look right.
So instead I decided to use a Third Doctor figure but with a newly sculpted short front, which I also gave an untucked look to give him more of a post-regeneration dishelved look.
When it came to the legs however again they didn't look right, too long and thin, and the shoes didn't seem the right type. After looking through my spares I realised that shoes wise Delgado's legs were a good match but also they didn't look as "fitted as the Third Doctor trousers so after repainting them they looked ever close to the Second Doctors trousers.
3rdDocHair.jpg
Lastly I repainted the hair to give him a more blondish/grey tones that Pertwee had in his early days. I did consider resculpting the hair to make it shorter to how it was in Spearhead but I was low on Milliput and also I don't think the more curled hairstyle looks out of place when given a more darker repaint.

Next up we have the Auton
Auton.jpg
Figure breakdown :
Head : Spearhead/Enemies of The Third Doctor Auton Head with newly sculpted head
Body : Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart Three Doctors

The Brigs body here required alot of heavy modification, all the braiding, bagdes, pockets have been removed and then I have added on wider lapels, double breasted fitting and buttons
BrigBody.jpg
Also not in the picture I added an additional piece the belt, and then also added hair. The Auton is based on one on the episode seen in the shop window breakout and street scenes, although in the episode it has a longer coat.

They also stand next to each other about the same height which makes them look better in the box.
3rdDocAuton.jpg
It's a shame the newest classic B&M set didn't feature a regenerated Third Doctor as alongside the new Brig & Auton it would have been perfect!

Custom Figure Showcase :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeiSz4ThGgU

That is just fantastic,I would buy this set without hesitation. Never thought of making different autons from spearhead from space.

CaptainJimiPie

Re: CaptainJimiPie's Classic Boxed Customs - Third Doctor & Auton

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Sun May 27, 2018 9:14 pm

dalekkiller wrote:That is just fantastic,I would buy this set without hesitation. Never thought of making different autons from spearhead from space.

Thanks, neither did I until I realised I could have a good two pack opportunity

CaptainJimiPie

CaptainJimiPie's Classic Boxed Customs - Fourth Doctor Regenerated

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:59 am

A fairly simple box custom for this one
BoxedFourth.jpg
BoxedFourth.jpg (179.98 KiB) Viewed 1892 times

The actual custom itself in front of the box is based on the Amazon prototype for Time Capsule figure, but I always thought it was a shame to keep the actual Time Capsule figure in the box so I used another spare box with a custom front label to display it along with my others instead

CaptainJimiPie

Regenerated War Doctor (Work In Progress)

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 am

Got some new boxed customs on the way soon, a regenerated Second Doctor, regenerated Ninth Doctor and also a regenerated War Doctor & Dalek Double pack!

Here's a little work in progress teaser of my "young" War Doctor for anything thinking of attempting them same

To start I completely cut away the jaw completely and replaced it with a new one, I used a Series 3 Captain Jack as it measured up nicely in terms of a fit

And after painting the head I sculpted on new hair, this is actually my second sculpt as my original looked a bit flat so I've added some more to give him a few more "curls" as the young John Hurt did have in his day

Koth

Postby Koth » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 pm

That's coming on nicely.

Return to “Customs”