Some Clever Reference's 3D Printable TARDISes (and Occasional Customs)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

SomeCleverReference

Re: Some Clever Reference's 3D Printable TARDISes (and Occasional Customs)

Postby SomeCleverReference » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:43 am

Deborah J wrote:So you've got it set up as the spearhead version just now, is that right? Because I see the Police public call box sign on the side to thr left of the doors, and I know from the many tardis factoids Clayton Hickman churns out on twitter that the sign on that side got broken filming the time monster and just got replaced with a piece of plain board. Which would make this one before that.

It's actually the 6th version, from the Three Doctors to Planet of the Spiders. The only difference is that the left and right walls' support railing things at the bottom are taller, and varying heights. If you look at the first picture, you can see that the right wall's railing is so tall that it meets with the bottom of the panels. If I were making it a perfect replica, I'd have gone with just the blank board in place of the sign, but I decided for an idealized version of the prop that looks better as a toy sitting on my shelf.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:37 am

SomeCleverReference wrote:
Deborah J wrote:So you've got it set up as the spearhead version just now, is that right? Because I see the Police public call box sign on the side to thr left of the doors, and I know from the many tardis factoids Clayton Hickman churns out on twitter that the sign on that side got broken filming the time monster and just got replaced with a piece of plain board. Which would make this one before that.

It's actually the 6th version, from the Three Doctors to Planet of the Spiders. The only difference is that the left and right walls' support railing things at the bottom are taller, and varying heights. If you look at the first picture, you can see that the right wall's railing is so tall that it meets with the bottom of the panels. If I were making it a perfect replica, I'd have gone with just the blank board in place of the sign, but I decided for an idealized version of the prop that looks better as a toy sitting on my shelf.

Ah. I thought I'd try using the one factoid I knew to look smart, guess that backfired on me. It's very nice though, I always find it amazing how many little details people pick up on with the tardis, like for sure I'd be able to notice some of the differences between various versions, height of the roof, and colour, and the panel, and that one they had for a while that was really short and fat, and I can see the new series ones are a dfferent shape to the classic ones, but you must have such an eye for detail to spot all these little things, it's very impressive.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:50 am

Here's the link to my Season 14-17 Newbery TARDIS if you want to play around with it: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/aBtZYgYTxT3
I've designed it to support a hidden Keychain light, so you can make the lamp light up by pressing a button on the top, though there's also a solid roof option as well.

Luckily, the Newbery has a very thick roof, so there's plenty of room to hide something in there without it being visible from the inside.

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:14 pm

bluehinter wrote:Here's the link to my Season 14-17 Newbery TARDIS if you want to play around with it: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/aBtZYgYTxT3
I've designed it to support a hidden Keychain light, so you can make the lamp light up by pressing a button on the top, though there's also a solid roof option as well.

Luckily, the Newbery has a very thick roof, so there's plenty of room to hide something in there without it being visible from the inside.

Well funny you should mention that, I was just about to show off what I had done on my version :lol:

Somehow I managed to accidentally not duplicate one of the quarter rounded bits on one of the bits of trim in front, and it's not really noticeable, but it'd bug me forever if I didn't fix it. So now I'm printing a second version that I triple checked first, and I'll be painting that as the non-weathered version with a blue base like it had most of its life. This messed up one will be the S17 version with the ugly lamp and black base:

When hammering in the base, 2 of the windows came out and didn't want to fit back in. I had to superglue them back in place, but it's still noticeable:

And I finally got that handle design to work, now I can just use the same measurements on all of them and they'll work without having to test each one a billion times.

Now for a couple days of painting and then it's done. After that I would be printing the new Brachaki Console I rebuilt, but I can't even make Tinkercad export it so I can put it into Blender and join it together. I'll probably print another TARDIS next, either the TYJ (6th/7th Doctor version) or the TVM one. The TVM one still needs to have space for the handle in the base added, but now that I have a working version it shouldn't be a problem. As for next thing I'm building, I started on the S14 console room, since I had nothing else to work on until Tony Farrell's 3rd Doctor console blueprints come out. There are these sort of curved things with handrails near the door, and they're utterly impossible to make in TinkerCAD. I got the shape of them worked out, but they also have the same shape cut into them, if that makes sense. All you really need to know is that it's an absolute pain and may not be possible to make it 100% accurate unless I learn Blender overnight. The handrails will also be horrible, they have to curve up with the surface of the thing, then also curve in a 90 degree angle at the top, and then back down on the other side. I can say fairly confidently that those alone would take 2 hours if not more to make, and that's if they're even possible, which I don't believe they are. In general the console room is geometrically fairly simple, the only problem is all the million bits of trim that you can barely see because the set is so dark, and there's so little reference material.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:32 pm

Wow! That lever to open the door is perfect!!! Way better than CO's oddly thick spring-button base!
I'm totally going to swipe that idea for my version!

As for the Brachaki Console Room, yeah, I'm dreading those handrails as well.
If if you can model them in 3D, their curvature and small diameter means they're going to look horrible when printed.
I went to the hardware store the other day to look at their selection of brass and aluminum tubes (which I think I'm going to have to use for the three posts on the Newbery lamp, since anything printed would be too blobby/flimsy) and they have quite a collection, including some 5mm ones (not pictured) which look to be the right size for the Brachaki hand rails, which I may have to go back for later.

While it should be physically possible to bend/flatten them into the correct shapes and then stop up the ends with UV resin, making them all match up perfectly would be a nightmare. Then there's also the small knobs on the ones by the stairs, and I don't even know what to do about the thin oval ones by the door with the cross bars. Those I would probably have to try to 3D print, making them flat on one side at 100% fill, and then just whittle down a bit of a curvature on the underside with an Xacto blade and hope that nobody notices how ugly they look.

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:00 pm

I could have sworn I posted it here already, but I guess I must have accidentally closed the tab before posting and forgot or something. I've had my Newbury TARDIS bone for about 2 weeks now, and I've been printing a slightly improved version before putting the file up.

As you can see, the 2 windows that came out are super noticeable, so I've redone the design this time around so that it doesn't require any supports on the wall pieces, which should help. I'll be putting the file up as soon as I've tested it.

Now, you are almost certainly not wondering why I haven't done it already, since I've had 2 weeks to print it. Well, my printer self-destructed, and the whole bed was just not getting level. It took 2 weeks of releveling and hairsprays and glue sticks and every type of adhesive I could buy, but I've finally gotten it working again just now. I should have it done within a week, and then I'll be putting the files up. I know Bluehinter already beat me to it, and while his design is great (infinitely better than CO will ever release, since I doubt they'll ever do another new classic TARDIS sculpt) it's not quite perfect. The blueprints I used were from Tony Ferrell, who puts tons of effort into researching the TARDISes and measuring them pixel-by-pixel to recreate the plans for them, and I trust his plans to be 100% accurate to the original prop.

Speaking of Tony Farrell. he just put up his Sharp (aka 3rd Doctor's) console blueprints the other day, and I've dropped everything to work on that. So far it's not much, just the console and the main control elements that I've yet to put on the console itself:

I think I can make the panels under the console removable to reveal circuitry behind them, which will be a cool feature. I have no idea how properly light the Time Rotor though. It had 3 tubes, each filled with 2 large lights inside, and there's really no way I can recreate that. Especially not if I can motorize it, since they'd get tangled in the mechanism. The Time Rotor is further complicated by the fact that it's so insanely complex, with a ton of pieces of tranparent perspex in different colors, none of which would be printable, even on a resin printer. It'll have to super simplified, and it'll end up looking identical to the Tom Baker-era time rotor in the end.

Once I get the Sharp console completely finished, I'll have even more work, since it was used all the way up to season 19 and changed practically every episode. The panels had parts added on/taken away frequently, and the panels themselves moved around every single time the console was reassembled. I'm thinking I could make it so the panels are separate from the body of the console (like the prop was built) and easily swappable, but I don't think I can run the lights through then, and motorizing it would be even harder.

And speaking of motorized consoles, I finally managed to properly export the Brachaki console top. Which means the list of things I need to test print has now grown even longer:

Newbury TARDIS V2
TYJ TARDIS (1983-1989)
Brachaki TARDIS
4 different variations of the Brachaki Altered TARDIS
TVM TARDIS (needs redoing, comparing my plans to the real thing, the panels are way too far apart)

Brachaki Console
Most of the Barchaki console room, save for the 3 big walls and 1 batch of roundels
Sharp console
3 Doctors/Planet of the Daleks console room (need to split it up to print first though)

Finders crossed that my printer continues to function properly and I don't get stuck leveling it 500 times again.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Was the wooden console room designed by Brachaki? I thought it was Barry Newburry, same as the tardis outside that came the same time? My knowledge was that Brachaki did the original console room, and the sets and stuff for that first story and not an awful lot else. I could be wrong, of course.

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:55 pm

Deborah J wrote:Was the wooden console room designed by Brachaki? I thought it was Barry Newburry, same as the tardis outside that came the same time? My knowledge was that Brachaki did the original console room, and the sets and stuff for that first story and not an awful lot else. I could be wrong, of course.

No, you're correct. The wooden/season 14 console room was designed by Barry Newbury, as well as the TARDIS exterior.

Return to “Customs”