Some Clever Reference's Customs (Current Project: 3D Printable Console Rooms)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

SomeCleverReference

Re: Some Clever Reference's Customs (Current Project: 3D Printable Console Rooms)

Postby SomeCleverReference » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:51 am

It's been a while since I've posted anything here because I've been quite busy, but I've gotten a lot done.

First I'll start by saying that my 8th Doctor Console Room has been put on hold for a while due to problems with tinkercad. It's just too large for it to handle, it loads in but starts to crash as soon as I do anything. So what I'll have to do is export all the things, import all of them again, and then fix the support columns so that they're more accurate. After that I just need to split it apart for printing and add holes to it for the dowels to keep it together.

I don't think anyone cares though, since nobody is printing them at the moment anyway. Speaking of printing, if you were thinking of printing my 1st/3rd Doctor console rooms, you should probably wait a bit. I realized the walls were inaccurate on all of them, so now I'm going to have to go back, import the fixed wall I made, and then split it up.

Now, on to the good news.

I've made a 3D printable Zero Room, since it was a pretty simple design, and I was working on doing the 5th Doctor walls anyway. It should be easy to make, just glue all the parts together on the little tabs for the zero room walls, and then stretch and tape a sheet of paper to the back so that it covers the gaps between walls. There are 2 types of roundels, one with a slightly larger circle to keep it from slipping out of the doors, and one without it that fits into the walls.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/aGFAvzuc7e0-zero-room

I also completed a TARDIS exterior, just to prove that I could. This one is specifically the one from season 18, with all the minor details of it. Sometime I plan on making a version for every single minor variation just so I can have a complete TARDIS fleet, but that's a long way off. The assembly for this one is fairly straightforward. There is one part that might be confusing though. I put a red cube in there that should fit in the hole of the 2 roof sections, so that they can be aligned correctly.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/fb2WPnRF5zi-tyj-tardis-1980-version

And here's an image taken from the bottom, so you can see the holes where the cube should go

I've also been putting a lot of time into making a 12th Doctor TARDIS, and it's been going pretty good. Here's what I have so far:

I still have the lower levels, console, and minor parts to do. It doesn't seem like that much, but I expect the console will take at least 25 hours to get right.

Ideally I hope to get a version that will have functioning lights and a spinning whirligig, but that is definitely a long way off, since I know nothing about electronics. My idea for the whirligig is to make a place for a small-ish motor in the black part above it, and then have a long axle coming down from it, attached to a large disk in the middle or each piece. For the middle part there would be another disk on a different axle, attatched to the ring of the whirligig itself. The middle disk rotating clockwise would rotate the other disk counterclockwise, and it would move around with the ring as it spins. Unfortunately I don't know if something like this would be possible, or if there's a motor that's powerful yet small enough to fit in the ceiling.

I've also complete my War Doctor TARDIS recently:

And here it is without the lights on:

The interior card is an image I stole from Doctor What's War Doctor TARDIS thread.

I painted the TARDIS windows using yellow glass paint. As you can see, it looks right when it's lit up, but very dark when it's not. Overall I'm still happy with it though. I was thinking of doing the same to the 12th Doctor TARDIS I made a while back where I painted the windows, since I think it would look perfect. The only trouble is, I don't know how to get the paint off, and I'm worried about messing up the rest of it.

I also have three projects I'm still currently working on. Here's the first one:

As you can probably tell, it's a TARDIS from the TV movie. The lamp on top only has a vaguely square shaped blob of milliput on there for the moment, until I can 3D print a better one. I think the paint is a little too dark though, since it really only looked like this in the dark in the movie.

I'm going to use the color picker in photoshop to select the color of this TARDIS, and then change the background color of the sign so it won't stand out. After that I'll scale it down, print it out, glue it on, and use some gloss finish on it so it blends in with the rest of the TARDIS. Depending on how well that works, I might also do it for the top signs too, since they're slightly different from the ones on the toy.

Have a bonus image of me lazily trying to recreate one of the promo shots:

And here's the second work in progress, TVM McCoy:

The hair is sculpted on with milliput, though I think it needs to be a little thicker on the left side since it's not symmetrical at the moment. I also unfortunately managed to paint over his right eye, and all my attempts to paint a new one on make him look like he has a thousand yard stare.

And now for the final work in progress:

My War Doctor TARDIS console has been coming together okay, and I finally got the one ring off so the rings at the bottom are the right way around. However, I'm having trouble with the soldering. I heated up the solder to I think about 350, and then held it on until the solder started to bubble, and then I put a soldering wick over it, and put the iron over that, but nothing happened. I followed all the tutorials I could, but none of them worked for some reason.

Deborah J

Re: Some Clever Reference's Customs (Current Project: 3D Printable Console Rooms)

Postby Deborah J » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:20 am

I have a question regarding the s18 tardis model, am I not right in thinking the handles on the doors don't line up like that? I feel like there's a line in an episode, pretty sure it's full circle, and adric is like "The handles don't line up"

Just looked at a picture, and the handle on the sign panel is higher up than the door handle on the other side.

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Deborah J wrote:I have a question regarding the s18 tardis model, am I not right in thinking the handles on the doors don't line up like that? I feel like there's a line in an episode, pretty sure it's full circle, and adric is like "The handles don't line up"

Just looked at a picture, and the handle on the sign panel is higher up than the door handle on the other side.

You are correct, I just rechecked my reference images, and fixed the door and lock positions now.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:37 pm

SomeCleverReference wrote:
Deborah J wrote:I have a question regarding the s18 tardis model, am I not right in thinking the handles on the doors don't line up like that? I feel like there's a line in an episode, pretty sure it's full circle, and adric is like "The handles don't line up"

You are correct, I just rechecked my reference images, and fixed the door and lock positions now.

Cool, I'm glad I was able to provide something useful, instead of it potentially just being annoying nitpicking.

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 pm

So big news: I finally got a 3D printer and I can start testing my designs!

So far I've been very impressed with what it can do, it absolutely blows me away how small it can get:

Finger for scale. The printed parts are the smallest dials for the TVM console I made. If you hold them up to the light, you can even see the numbers are on there like they should be. I don't know if they're deep enough to see once I try and paint it though. My hope is that I can paint the numbers gold and the paint will settle in the tiny gap where the number is, and then I can paint the rest of the dial black.

I've also been printing the Time Rotor parts for the 1st Doctor TARDIS I made:

The one piece broke slightly when I was getting the supports off, but it's easily fixed since it's only 30 minutes at most to reprint it.

The lighting thingy in the time rotor needed to be printed twice, since somehow I didn't select all the parts in Tinkercad before exporting. However, on the second attempt, the printer made it all fuzzy. I think I should just have to turn the print speed down a bit and it should come out fine.

I also printed some test pieces of wall, to make sure they fit together with the roundels:

And good news, the wooden dowels fit in very nicely into the holes, which keeps them together, yet still allows them to be taken apart if you need to

The original version of the half roundels didn't fit, so I had to adjust them. I also gave this one a thicker back, to see how it would look if it didn't let in so much light:

Now that I tested that all the pieces fit together, I can print the rest of the pieces. Most of them take over a day to print. Since my printer is 300x300mm, I can print almost all of the walls as single pieces, instead of having to split them up in to different parts

And then I printed one half of the walls around it. Unfortunately the filament clogged up mid-print, and I think it was running for a while not printing anything. After reloading the filament it was printing in big globs, so I had to start over and use a different filament since the one I was using was almost empty. Here's the failed print:

At least I can tell it's going to work with the door. For the hinges, I found some tiny 10x8mm hinges on Amazon. They should be coming in the next few days (along with a ton of mint green paint for the rest of the console room) so I can test them then. Though I'm not exactly sure what type of glue I should use to hold them on there. The only strong glue I have dries super fast, and I don't think I could use it without it gluing the whole hinge.

In other news, I'm close to finishing a lot of my current projects, but it seems I always hit an unexpected snag on one, move to another, and then so on. It would probably be easier to make a list:

Revising the 1st/2nd Doctor console (the hole for the time rotor is *way* too big, and I think the handles will work to be printed on the console as long as they have support, so I'm adding them back on)
Revising the TVM console (the bottom of the dials need to be attached to the console itself, but I think that's the only thing I need to fix before it's finished)
Revising the support beams around the TVM console (The current ones are much thicker than they should be, and not as accurate as I would like)
Finish up the TVM console room (I just need to finish the greek columns around it and split it apart for printing, but the file is so big Tinkercad has trouble with it and keeps crashing and not saving anything I do)
Continue with my season 14 Console room (the roundels were too complex and were making Tinkercad lag, but now that I have a simplified .stl file of them they work fine. I haven't gotten much further than making the front wall and the console yet though)

And as for things I haven't encountered problems with but still need to do:

Finish the 12th Doctor's console room (I need to do the controls on the console, the stairs to the lower level, and the handrails. Ideally I'd make it so that the console can light up with fibre optic lights and I'd have LEDs in the walls, but I know nothing about electronics, so I'd definitely need someone to help and tell me what would work. I'd also like to be able to have a motor hidden in the ceiling which can make the whirligig spin, but again, I have no idea what type of thing I'd need for that or if it's even possible)
Finish up the 5th/6th/7th Doctor console room (I just have the scanner screen and the wall leading to the rest of the TARDIS to do at the moment, which I don't think there will be any problems with, and it doesn't seem like a lot of work,since they're all squares and angles, and I have good measurements to work with. But then again I never expect the problems that come up, so who knows)
S15-19 console room (I haven't actually gotten started yet, but since it's very similar to the JNT-Era console room, I can mostly reuse everything from there)

And here's how the current print is looking at the moment. I'll be back in a few days once I've fixed the console and printed it, hopefully I don't encounter any problems, but I undoubtedly will.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:26 pm

That printing has worked out really nicely! Could I just ask (as i'm a little conflicted about my console room wall builds) what roughly is the diameter of a roundel?

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:31 pm

These are turning out amazing, you're all so talented here, it's wonderful, it really is.

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Doctor What wrote:That printing has worked out really nicely! Could I just ask (as i'm a little conflicted about my console room wall builds) what roughly is the diameter of a roundel?

The diameter comes out to about 1.9 inches. I used Tony Farrell's amazingly detailed measurements from his article over on tardisbuilders.com, and then shrunk them down to 1/13th scale. This entire console room is based on his measurements in fact. He has some measurements for other TARDISes too, like the S14 TARDIS, which helped me immensely with my other ones, since a lot of the S15 onwards console had reused some measurements from it.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:56 pm

SomeCleverReference wrote:
Doctor What wrote:That printing has worked out really nicely! Could I just ask (as i'm a little conflicted about my console room wall builds) what roughly is the diameter of a roundel?

The diameter comes out to about 1.9 inches. I used Tony Farrell's amazingly detailed measurements from his article over on tardisbuilders.com, and then shrunk them down to 1/13th scale. This entire console room is based on his measurements in fact. He has some measurements for other TARDISes too, like the S14 TARDIS, which helped me immensely with my other ones, since a lot of the S15 onwards console had reused some measurements from it.

Yep I used those measurements and have a 1.9 inch diameter too, they just seemed a little large to me so just wanted to confirm, thanks :D

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Wow! These are coming along fantastically!
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

Return to “Customs”