Photo Background/Lightbox

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

Doctor What

Photo Background/Lightbox

Postby Doctor What » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Not a custom figure but something i've made recently that you might be interested in:

A while ago I saw this brilliant article (https://brickset.com/article/20303/how- ... hotography) on the Brickset website, which gives a guide on how to make a simple lightbox for photographing Lego. I made one of these initially out of spare cardboard (this is the white background that i've used for a number of my pictures for the past year or so). It used tissue paper on the top and sides to diffuse light that enters it which softens the shadows in your images.

Since cardboard isn't the most durable material my lightbox had started falling apart recently, so I decided to make a new one out of wood. I haven't put the tissue paper/crepe paper on the sides and top yet, or sorted out any proper lighting, but for the moment it pretty much works. The white is simply a piece of A2 card, so if it gets scuffed it can be easily replaced. I realise that this isn't the most professional setup, but it works well enough for me, and will work even better once I sort out the tissue and lighting.

Here are some test pictures I took, just using the camera flash, and apart from the obvious shadows (and my lack of real photography skills) I think this works well.

As I said before none of this was my idea, full credit goes to the Brickset article which you should definitely check out if you're interested in this sort of thing.

CaptainJimiPie

Re: Photo Background/Lightbox

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:44 pm

This simplest solutions are often the best!

For my backdrop I use an ordinary roller blind
IMG_9534.JPG
IMG_9534.JPG (59.85 KiB) Viewed 871 times

Nothing elaborate or worth much, got it from Argos I think but easy to store, fits onto my desk and easy to keep clean too!

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:37 pm

That's a really nice idea Cap, sadly I don't have a desk or else I probably would have gone for something similar.

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Doctor What wrote:That's a really nice idea Cap, sadly I don't have a desk or else I probably would have gone for something similar.

That is the downside is having somewhere to put it however if you found one the same width as the wood frame you could fit one inside/across it.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Got the crepe paper today and stuck it to the frame (i've only blu-tacked it in case I need to remove it). Still need to sort out lights but based on just these natural lights i'd say the crepe does a good job of getting rid of shadows.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Wow, that makes a huge difference, doesn't it? Those shadows are just softened right out, where did you put the crepe paper? The top and the sides? It's kind of hard to see from the picture, that or I'm just not very smart - it could go either way tbh.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:58 pm

Deborah J wrote:Wow, that makes a huge difference, doesn't it? Those shadows are just softened right out, where did you put the crepe paper? The top and the sides? It's kind of hard to see from the picture, that or I'm just not very smart - it could go either way tbh.

Yep, top and sides (the top one also goes over the gap at the top of the back).

Return to “Customs”