Avon's customs

Danoftardis

Re: Avon's customs

Post by Danoftardis »

Deborah J: Resident know it all. ;)

Nice idea Avon, I did something similar for my money bank rtd TARDIS after the phone sign peeled off. Worked very well actually, I was quite pleased. Liking the cheese as well.

Avon

Post by Avon »

I thought, do correct me if I'm wrong as I'm new to TARDIS spotting! :lol: That the first B&M TARDIS which I redecoed, is meant to be the bright blue season 9 and 10 one, which had one sign smashed, while the regen Tom set represents the late 10/11/12/maybe 13? which was well and truly getting the stuffing knocked out of it with a darker (or the same, but fading) colour, smashed signs, plastic tub light toward the end of 11, chipped door frame after the foam from POTD etc. I went for the earlier signs, as I was aiming for a season 9 TARDIS to match my eternal mid Pertwee set-up/the TARDIS console I used/the brighter color.

It's interesting, I have seen it hypothesized that they used parts of the white TARDIS from the mind robber, as if you measure up Pertwee's box I believe the side and one of the central pillar's is all over the place suggesting it was kitbashed with odds and ends, along with a new slightly more pointer roof after Terror. Sounds sad but I've been reading a lot of TARDIS builders lately as I genuinely find it fascinating seeing what I thought was the same box morph through these different phases.

Thanks Dan! I thought you'd approve ;) I was in the process of hunting one of those money boxes actually to make a Pert box when B&M blessed us with this one, I think it's about the same size...?

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Avon wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 pm
I thought, do correct me if I'm wrong as I'm new to TARDIS spotting! :lol: That the first B&M TARDIS which I redecoed, is meant to be the bright blue season 9 and 10 one, which had one sign smashed, while the regen Tom set represents the late 10/11/12/maybe 13? which was well and truly getting the stuffing knocked out of it with a darker (or the same, but fading) colour, smashed signs, plastic tub light toward the end of 11, chipped door frame after the foam from POTD etc. I went for the earlier signs, as I was aiming for a season 9 TARDIS to match my eternal mid Pertwee set-up/the TARDIS console I used/the brighter color.

It's interesting, I have seen it hypothesized that they used parts of the white TARDIS from the mind robber, as if you measure up Pertwee's box I believe the side and one of the central pillar's is all over the place suggesting it was kitbashed with odds and ends, along with a new slightly more pointer roof after Terror. Sounds sad but I've been reading a lot of TARDIS builders lately as I genuinely find it fascinating seeing what I thought was the same box morph through these different phases.
It might have been the mind robber that the parts came from, that could be an error on my part, but yeah the pertwee box is supposedly s9, though tbh I think it looks more like the pre-repaint colour with that turqouisey hue. The 9 repaint wasn't painted over until s13, so it's the same colour in robot as it is in the time monster. and aside from the left one being broken, and never repaired, the PPCB signs are unchanged from Seeds of Death until Seeds of Doom. But that's my point, the sides were never black text on white background, they only ever did that to the front and back. Until Seeds of Death they were all white on black, then the front and back were replaced with black on white, then the left one got broken, the right side one in Seeds of Doom, when the box makes its final appearance, is the same one that was there in an Unearthly Child. Neither of the early 70s tardises are correct, because one has all white on black, which was not the case once the white on black pull-to-open panel appeared, the other is all black on white. It should be left and right in the former, front and back in the latter.

TOMFAN

Post by TOMFAN »

All you ever wanted to know about the TARDIS:

Original TARDIS Police Box signs by Clayton Hickman
https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/stat ... 1038452737

The Brachaki Police Box Prop (The War Machines to Seeds of Doom) by Tony Farrell
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4489.0

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Recently I put together this sheet of signs from the resources on TARDIS Builders, for a guy's season 12 model. I think they were like this through the pertwee years as well.

These fit the CO TARDISes when printed on A4. I've included blank ones in either colour because I couldn't remember which matched best.

Looking at it I may not have left enough space either side of the wording so I may correct that.

https://i.imgur.com/Wwqhdpj.png

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

TOMFAN wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 pm
All you ever wanted to know about the TARDIS:

Original TARDIS Police Box signs by Clayton Hickman
https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/stat ... 1038452737

The Brachaki Police Box Prop (The War Machines to Seeds of Doom) by Tony Farrell
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4489.0
Yeah, Clayton is my primary source of information on this, he seems to have studied it all so thouroughly that I'm happy to take his information as the absolute authority on it.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Just thought of another custom that could be done.

If you’re looking for another Fifth Doctor team, then Brooke and River can be done.

[attachment=0]E9E4BBB5-1FD2-4634-8AAA-900BB24B8ABF.jpeg[/attachment]

A Primeval Claudia figure is almost a deadringer, you wouldn’t even necessarily have to make any changes to the head, except maybe lightening the hair or changing its style slightly if you wanted to.

Then just give her a new top and do what you want with the trousers.
Attachments
E9E4BBB5-1FD2-4634-8AAA-900BB24B8ABF.jpeg
E9E4BBB5-1FD2-4634-8AAA-900BB24B8ABF.jpeg (80.22 KiB) Viewed 2383 times

Avon

Post by Avon »

Thank you all! And Tomfan, superb stuff from that chap on Twitter, think I'll have to look through his stuff, see if he's done anything similar for any of the others. That TARDIS builders article was what nudged me along to do this, along with the prior reason, as I was looking for an article on the Newbury, great read over diner the other night.

Anyway - I see where I'm going wrong!

I knew for sure it was the old black signs before and after 9 and 10 as you can clearly see them in the late Troughton/early Pertwee TARDIS:

And very clearly, season 11 all the way to Doom

I was making mine as it appears, very very specifically, to these shots, minus the smashed one:

As to me, while I respect it does probably look to some like an earlier TARDIS, the box is so similar to the Three Doctors colour (except the base..) I use it for that, which is very special to me as an ep, it was the first DVD I ever owned, it was the one I wrote and done a presentation on at school, it was one of the first I can clearly recall all the way through and it's probably in my top three Pertwee's, as well as, obviously, being a brilliant episode besides! I also used the three doctors console room for the inside, which is entirely innacurate and I personally subscribe to the idea of the anteroom - but I do like having it in there.

Anyway - to my eyes, that's black lettering on perspex on both the front and the left side, as they look identical to my admittedly extremely bad eyes :lol: . But! It seems reading through the twitter feed, in fact they are not identical, and it was the same signs in the same spots all along, and it's merely the lighting and the angle, and it's perspexyness which make it seem black, when it is, in fact, white on white. Mystery solved! Its Hoth Han Solo's parka all over again :lol: I tip my hat to your superior knowledge, and now I know!

I also hadn't clocked the TARDIS was the same colour, I thought it was getting on a bit and getting darker in 11, but I guess, having examined photos the regen TARDIS is much closer to me to Tom's 12 and 13, which is really cool to have. I'd actually say, despite it being the most plain, it might be my favorite TARDIS model

Along the same lines, it does appear I perceive colors differently - I see, unless it's pitch black, the Newbury windows almost always, with a redy tinge. It seems this is like the dress from ages back, where some people see it one colour while others see it another set, depending on if the left or right brain hemisphere is dominant, in fact, over in the states, they had the same thing with a pair of trainers, which where a greyie teely colour and some people (including me) see it as a pinky magenta. I find it most amusing my brain works in favor of making my B&M TARDIS more accurate :lol: :lol:

That's a great idea SJF!! I had no idea River had an adventure with Five!

SJF

Post by SJF »

Avon wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:20 pm
That's a great idea SJF!! I had no idea River had an adventure with Five!
Ohhhhhh yeah, Four whole episodes. One of my favourite boxsets by Big Finish. It’s also a sequel to Series 6 and really develops River's backstory and makes her seem like, ya know an actual human being. Plus Five/ River/Brooke make an interesting dynamic and I wish we got to see more of the adventures they had offscreen that were referenced.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

SJF wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 am
That's cool! But when did River Song start traveling with Linda McCartney?
...and do what you want with the trousers.
That's what River Song said.
None of Doctor Who is canon.