Series 12 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

Racks42

Series 12 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Postby Racks42 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:33 pm

Production on Series 12 Started today, so i thought with that we should have a new thread?

and on that note here is the picture they posted out about start of production!!

49664820_2580859505261026_8093283884063522816_n.jpg
49664820_2580859505261026_8093283884063522816_n.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 855 times

this may just be me, but that TARDIS in the background looks different to the S11 police box

The colour looks lighter, the window frames are white and the windows are black
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!
Co-Founder at https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

Doctor What

Re: Series 12 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Postby Doctor What » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:36 pm

Isn't that just from Resolution? The main cast are all wearing their costumes from it and everyone else is wearing short sleeves (they filmed it in summer).

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:53 pm

That does look like a summery day

Racks42

Postby Racks42 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:26 pm

It might be i can’t tell tbh but that tardis does look different
HUU Doctor Who Society President 4 years running, Avid cosplayer, All round Who boffin!

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Racks42 wrote:It might be i can’t tell tbh but that tardis does look different

Maybe that's just the lighting? it is indoors, afterall, while all the foreground is in harsh sunlight, could play some tricks there.

Racks42

Postby Racks42 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Racks42 wrote:It might be i can’t tell tbh but that tardis does look different

Maybe that's just the lighting? it is indoors, afterall, while all the foreground is in harsh sunlight, could play some tricks there.

Yeah that is true, then again that doesn’t explain why the windows and window frame look completely different

Than again could just be me

TheSparrow

Postby TheSparrow » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Wondered when this was gonna get made. Hell yeah dude.
My new signature - as made by the wonderful 'Deborah J'

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:19 pm

So series 12 being delayed, apparently there is an interesting reason.

As series 10 did so badly commercially (lowest viewing figures in Who history) the beeb put a lot of restrictions on Chibnall. Cut the episode count, the budget, places he could take the show. Of course they got new cameras and cast, but you can easily tell by watching the show they didn’t have the budget to even get great actors for guest characters.

Anywho, contrary to idiotic and blind belief (read, people saying viewing figures are low because they’re just counting overnights), series 11 did amazingly, with the best viewing figures since the RTD era. And the beep were taken off guard by this, hence why promotion failed back when the series began, they expected a huge drop off in viewership, but alas that did not happen. So the delay for series 12 has happened because they have given Chibnall more creative freedom to do what he likes with the series. This caused the preproduction to be reset a little, allowing for changes and other things. Also apparently there were a lot of production issue with series 11, mostly due to the bbc restrictions, which are hopefully not going to affect the new series.

All this basically means that series 12 could be quite different, and more experimental. Personally I hope it means more episodes, but who knows. Honestly I’m surprised they’re in production this early, unless that doesn’t actually mean filming, usually production means filming, but maybe they’re still doing preproduction.

TW.
Been on here 8 years...blimey

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:25 pm

Whovastron wrote:So series 12 being delayed, apparently there is an interesting reason.

As series 10 did so badly commercially (lowest viewing figures in Who history) the beeb put a lot of restrictions on Chibnall. Cut the episode count, the budget, places he could take the show. Of course they got new cameras and cast, but you can easily tell by watching the show they didn’t have the budget to even get great actors for guest characters.

Anywho, contrary to idiotic and blind belief (read, people saying viewing figures are low because they’re just counting overnights), series 11 did amazingly, with the best viewing figures since the RTD era. And the beep were taken off guard by this, hence why promotion failed back when the series began, they expected a huge drop off in viewership, but alas that did not happen. So the delay for series 12 has happened because they have given Chibnall more creative freedom to do what he likes with the series. This caused the preproduction to be reset a little, allowing for changes and other things. Also apparently there were a lot of production issue with series 11, mostly due to the bbc restrictions, which are hopefully not going to affect the new series.

All this basically means that series 12 could be quite different, and more experimental. Personally I hope it means more episodes, but who knows. Honestly I’m surprised they’re in production this early, unless that doesn’t actually mean filming, usually production means filming, but maybe they’re still doing preproduction.

TW.

This is the only bit of this I doubt, since they filmed quite a lot in South Africa (and Spain I think) and "great actors" is entirely subjective, and they did get some fairly "popular" actors like Mark Addy and Alan Cumming.

Racks42

Postby Racks42 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Whovastron wrote:As series 10 did so badly commercially (lowest viewing figures in Who history) the beeb put a lot of restrictions on Chibnall. Cut the episode count, the budget, places he could take the show. Of course they got new cameras and cast, but you can easily tell by watching the show they didn’t have the budget to even get great actors for guest characters.

Well isn’t that both interesting and very much unsurprising, now I personally wasn’t happy with series 11 but I can genuinely see why people liked it, I thought it was very dull but I thought Jodie and Bradley were excellent all the way through even when they were acting off terrible scripts, Mandip I’m waiting for her to get her moment but I’m not impressed with Tosins acting personally, I Also was not impressed with the writing in s11 I only really liked arachnids, kerblam and the finale notable mention for the witch finders but the end was rushed, now with them restrictions taken off I’m willing to give chibnall a second go because he has written some crackers I absolutely loved resolution!

Plus with that I hope we get more merch, as well as more returning foes, as I’m willing to bet that was one restriction!

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”