B&M doctor who sets.

Koth2

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by Koth2 »

'Last year' was only one episode. I'm sure you mean series 11. ;)

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:37 pm
If Series 11 numbers overall are what will encourage more merch, then we aren't getting them currently.
Have people in the business specifically said Series 11 numbers will encourage more merch?

Incidentally, I'm not sure who put this idea forward, but my understanding is the BBC doesn't co-finance the toys. It's the opposite. A company pays the BBC for the license to make toys. The toys' manufacture is then funded by preorders from the merchants.
None of Doctor Who is canon.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:26 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:37 pm
If Series 11 numbers overall are what will encourage more merch, then we aren't getting them currently.
Have people in the business specifically said Series 11 numbers will encourage more merch?

Incidentally, I'm not sure who put this idea forward, but my understanding is the BBC doesn't co-finance the toys. It's the opposite. A company pays the BBC for the license to make toys. The toys' manufacture is then funded by preorders from the merchants.
I did say I was unsure on these, & I welcome more concrete info.

If that's how the BBC works, ok. Regardless, Al seemed to correlate viewing numbers with if Wave 2 happened. If that informs merchant orders, I can see a logic there. No one is gonna order toys they think won't sell.

Look, all I said with certainty is:

*Last series' viewing figures were overall higher than they'd been prior.
*Suddenly, we're getting a wave related to the show outside of B&M. More than had happened 2 series prior. The only thing that changed in the interrim was Series 11's performance. Not counting changes like the cast/etc, but that just means they have to make more all new stuff, so more investment is still being justified somehow. (These all, yes, have no spoken correlation. Then...)
*Al states that Wave 2 may happen (not will, but may) implying that sales of Wave 1(naturally) will affect this as well as hinting that hopefully viewing figures will go up from this Series' debut.
*Maybe the 2 aren't correlated (something I've said from the start) but either way if the perception is that if the audience (ie, buyers) are shrinking or those putting money into merch feel the market isn't there....well, the outcome is obvious.

If the viewing figures had nothing to do with it (or were "fine" for the reasons we speak of, namely wave 1 & 2) it impresses me as odd Al (someone who has EVERYTHING to do with the merch we speak of) would even say "hopefully" they'll go up while addressing Wave 2.

Spannerintheworks

Koth2 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:05 pm
'Last year' was only one episode. I'm sure you mean series 11. ;)
But it was a banger! :lol:

Yeah, rephrased consequently.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Ah, I get what you're saying. I hadn't realized this all came from Al himself.
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:54 pm
*Suddenly, we're getting a wave related to the show outside of B&M. More than had happened 2 series prior. The only thing that changed in the interrim was Series 11's performance.
True... Did Al say it was due to the ratings?

I mean... back in the Great Toy Drought of 2011 -- or whenever it was -- we were told that the toy biz just wasn't as hot on action figures any more, so I'm wondering how much of this has to do with cycles in the toy business.

Or the fact that Jodie with her young face and colorful costume looks more "kid-friendly" to toy retailers' eyes?

(And by the way, I hope I'm not seeming too argumentative here. I'm not trying to say "you're wrong!!!" or anything like that. This is just the first time I've heard of a wave of figures being explicitly attached to the ratings. Maybe I simply haven't been paying attention.)

Spannerintheworks

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 pm
Ah, I get what you're saying. I hadn't realized this all came from Al

(And by the way, I hope I'm not seeming too argumentative here. I'm not trying to say "you're wrong!!!" or anything like that. This is just the first time I've heard of a wave of figures being explicitly attached to the ratings. Maybe I simply haven't been paying attention.)
No offense taken or argument assumed. Like I said, I'm worried. Al brought ratings "hopefully" going up in the same paragraph he made Wave 2 a firm "maybe". Maybe us getting a wave outside of B&M after a series doing overall better in numbers than the prior 2 is a coincidence. Maybe not.

I just worry, and there's some reasoning behind it -:which I shared. If anyone's got firm "No buddy, it's like THIS" or "Al just said x and y affect Wave 2, not z"....I'd love to read it. Facts are cool.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:49 pm
Ah, I get what you're saying. I hadn't realized this all came from Al

No offense taken or argument assumed. Like I said, I'm worried. Al brought ratings "hopefully" going up in the same paragraph he made Wave 2 a firm "maybe". Maybe us getting a wave outside of B&M after a series doing overall better in numbers than the prior 2 is a coincidence. Maybe not.

I just worry, and there's some reasoning behind it -:which I shared. If anyone's got firm "No buddy, it's like THIS" or "Al just said x and y affect Wave 2, not z"....I'd love to read it. Facts are cool.
Lurker at the Edge wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:09 am
Hi chaps ... Al here

Having already got myself into hot water on social media with the licensor I’m keen to avoid any more... so two things

First no action figure line or wave has EVER been linked to the Success or otherwise of the TV series and certainly not the ratings. CO has the license and as and when retailers ask for product or there is an opportunity to create more they will. It would be wrong to assume anything else. The product is created way ahead of transmission anyway so its a redundant theory. Its purely down to the market and demand.

The ratings comment was my ‘personal’ one that there had been a dip according to various sources and review sites and if true i hope it will reverse.

Second, in reference to the first line above can you please delete the images of my Gallifrey Base postings please ... its exactly this kind of posting on and reposting that has now made it impossible to pass you the collectors any fun tidbits or information ... By all means talk about it but posting images is an issue for me.

Thanks to you all in advance

Al
From the other thread, added here for clarification.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow »

Thanks DW.
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

So apparently Yaz and Ryan will be in a B&M set. Interesting.

Spannerintheworks

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:48 pm
So apparently Yaz and Ryan will be in a B&M set. Interesting.
So one's 13th themed set. Betting a 13 or Graham variant rounds it out.

If recent B&M patterns hold, we'll get one 70's/classic set (likely favouring 4) as our second and one 80's Classic or Tennant/Smith Era set as the third.

And a TARDIS set? Well, if a 3rd Doctor set happens with the rereleases (see prior rumours) then that really opens up speculation. Second? Sixth? Eight? (As noted on another thread, 13's does look the TVM's part....)

Either way, with the "surprises" factored in, it's a good year ahead, albeit a pricy one.