Doctor What's Brachacki TARDIS Exterior Custom Build

Doctor What

Doctor What's Brachacki TARDIS Exterior Custom Build

Post by Doctor What » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Finally finished this after starting it in January and working on it sporadically since. After seeing videos on TARDIS builds from Batmanmarch and PB Props, I felt like giving it a go.

The original TARDIS is probably my favourite design. I based my model on how the prop looked around the time of The Chase, when it's a bit more battered.

The whole thing is built from plasticard/styrene, with the windows made from acrylic and the lamp made from a piece of a PC cooling tube. I also used brass rods for the lamp housing. The doors are held in place by magnets and are hinged on brass rods.

I primed the TARDIS with grey primer first, then used grey acrylic paint to texture it (based on the technique PB Props used in one of his videos). I then used Tamiya acrylics for the final coats, first a darker blue, then a lighter blue wash over the top. The colour isn't perfect but I think it's pretty close. It's also quite hard to capture on camera (especially with the rubbish lighting I have), it looks much better in real life.

Since there was no interior insert in the series, I just painted the inside white. I also dirtied up the box with Tamiya weathering powder, since it does look really dirty around Season 2/3. I used the powder on the front signbox to try and replicate the chipped off paint. I also used some of the powder on the door sign so that it wasn't completely white.

d01-1d-172.jpg
d01-1d-172.jpg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 1823 times

I wasn't sure whether to add lighting or not, but luckily all the wiring fits in the top of the box and can be accessed by removing the roof. I got a flashing led circuit from Amazon for the roof lamp and also wired in a static LED to light the windows (not present on the original prop but it looks really cool). Each LED can be turned off with a switch.

Finally, a slightly unfair comparison with the mass-produced toy and the original prop.

I know it's a little rough in places but it's the first time i've really scratch built anything like this. If I did make any other TARIDSes i'd definitely invest in a 3D printer, it ended up being quite expensive to buy all the plasticard and it took quite a while to cut out.

Deborah J

Re: Doctor What's Brachacki TARDIS Exterior Custom Build

Post by Deborah J » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:03 pm

Very impressive indeed, the lights add a lot I think.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:07 pm

I mean I don't think there are enough words to describe how good this is, it's amazing. Really well done.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:16 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:03 pm
Very impressive indeed, the lights add a lot I think.
Danoftardis wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:07 pm
I mean I don't think there are enough words to describe how good this is, it's amazing. Really well done.
Thanks guys :D

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:37 pm

:O amazing! But I fear that a 3D printer would cost rather more than any amount of plasticard...
I am a:
⚪Man ⚪Woman 🔘Scat

Looking for:
⚪Sex ⚪Love 🔘Ba bop ba dop bop bop

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:05 pm

DalekCheese wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:37 pm
:O amazing! But I fear that a 3D printer would cost rather more than any amount of plasticard...

Potentially bad phrasing on my part there, it cost a fair bit for the materials but not that much :lol:

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:19 pm

😂
I am a:
⚪Man ⚪Woman 🔘Scat

Looking for:
⚪Sex ⚪Love 🔘Ba bop ba dop bop bop

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:25 pm

This is art!

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:19 pm

ANewWatchBegins wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:25 pm
This is art!
Thank you :D

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:37 pm

God, that’s gorgeous! I want one.

How much to commission?? ;) :P
No forum, no matter how great, can know it’s destiny. It cannot glimpse his part in the great story that is about to unfold. As it will be for the member arriving at the gates of DWT.net. A lad that will, in time, father the legend. His name: Merlin.