How would you save the 5" line?

Spannerintheworks

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Spannerintheworks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:56 pm

SJF wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 pm
Yeah but we’re talking big retailers here.
Well, I'm not. Like who, Toys R Us? Woolworths? ;)

I think the problem here is some of us are trying/hoping to get the line back to what it WAS, but it's not that world anymore.

Happily, Character seem to know that. Most Genre toy releases are through Collectors markets, and Character seem to realize that's where the future is. Again, they're a business with a property license; It's in their interest to find how to make that profitable, not measure success like it's 2006. If they succeed and we keep getting more and more, everybody wins. :)

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm

The success of the 5" line can only be downstream of the shows popularity and marketability itself.

There's a reason we're getting mostly classic sets aimed towards classic fans.

There's a reason we only got a Doctor figure from the last series.

There's a reason we've seen this line dry up to nothing but repaints... there's just not enough demand.

It's not that the figures can't sell (look at Marvel Legends) it's just that the show itself has lost touch with the fans and the general audience in the past few years and it's not just the action figure line that's been pulled down by this. Big Chief had the 13th Doctor figure listed as a 'launch pad' item which has to garner a certain amount of pre-orders before it gets put into production, the figure only passed the threshold on the final day and even then it was close.

Wholords2 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm
Tbh the show needs saving before they can save the figure line :lol:
What he said :lol: .

Geeker_Things

Post by Geeker_Things » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:21 pm

I'll be posting a series of Action Figure Collector Sets that I think CO should make. Of course we all know CO is content with rereleases, so I believe we should work with their current business model and that they should rerelease Classic DW figures that the Market has a strong desire for. Then the plan would be over time that CO could earn income, and then be able to reinvest into the DW line once again and give us new figures that we fans desire. Here is the first draft that I have:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth Collector Set:
- The 1st Doctor
- Roboman
- Saucer Commander Dalek
- Drone Dalek

(I also thought about replacing the Roboman with the Saucer Pilot Dalek, but thought it would be better to maybe get another Roboman repainted in a different suit color)
Attachments
The Dalek Invasion of Earth Collector Set DWF.png
The Dalek Invasion of Earth Collector Set DWF.png (153.66 KiB) Viewed 1865 times

TheSpaceStudent1

Post by TheSpaceStudent1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:09 pm

I think next year once the companion set is out and ready to the retailers we could get an interesting B&M pack from S11. As for the other sets if we're going on a line similar to what we got this year then I'd probably do this;

Sonic Screwdriver Sets
1x Third Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver
1x Fourth Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver
1x Twelfth Doctor's Second Sonic Screwdriver

Doctor and Alien Twin Pack
1x Second Doctor with Tomb of the Cybermen Cyberman
1x Sixth Doctor with Attack of the Cybermen Cyberman
1x Twelfth Doctor with World Enough and Time Mondasian Cyberman

TARDIS and Doctor Set
1x Ninth Doctor with his retrospective TARDIS (with added Bad Wolf graffiti)

Collector Set - Three Packs (Repaints)
1x Series One Pack - Rose Tyler (Exclusive version with modern articulation), Captain Jack (with cap accessory) and Empty Child
1x Series Nine Pack - Clara (Under the Lake version with accurate yellow arms), Gallifreyan Man and Zygon (updated paint applications)
1x Series Eleven Pack - Thiteenth Doctor (with pink shirt), Graham (different colour coat) and Spider

Geeker_Things

Post by Geeker_Things » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Here is another Collector's Set idea. I believe this would be highly popular as the Supreme Council Dalek is one of the most expensive Daleks in the current Market.

The Planet of the Daleks Collector Set:
- The 3rd Doctor
- Jo Grant
- Supreme Council Dalek
- Drone Dalek (Gunmental Gray)
Attachments
Planet of the Daleks Collector Set 400x268.png
Planet of the Daleks Collector Set 400x268.png (211.14 KiB) Viewed 1830 times

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Neon Wolf wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm
It's not that the figures can't sell (look at Marvel Legends) it's just that the show itself has lost touch with the fans and the general audience in the past few years and it's not just the action figure line that's been pulled down by this.
Er-- Gotta disagree with that. That David Tennant hey-day was a once-in-a-series high point. Most shows don't last anywhere close to 12 seasons, and the general expectation of experienced people in the TV business is that even a popular show will decline in viewership each consecutive season, leaving only hard core fans by the end. Under that phenomenon, most shows never make it to year five, or are gone by year seven.

And "Lost touch?" Why? Because a bunch of fanboys and fangirls who started watching in 2005 when they were ten years old now whine that "It's not my show anymore?" I was a classic series fan in 2005 when a lot of my cohorts were also screaming "It's not my show anymore!" Hell, I was nearly one of them, but I hung in there, took the bad with the good, and still count myself a fan to this day.

So in 2019 when some fans say "The show has lost touch!!" I feel a huge rush of schadenfreude. A LOT of people said that the first time around, and here we are today with Series 12 bearing down on us. It fills me with shameful glee that the plucky young upstarts are now the crusty old guard complaining that things just ain't as good as they used to be. Get used to it, old man.

Could the show be better? Friends, the show could ALWAYS be better.

But it will NEVER be as good as it was when you were ten years old.

:)
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Koth2

Post by Koth2 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:27 pm

We couldnt go back to season 6 where 3 complete waves were exactly the same figures with minor changes.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:22 pm
Neon Wolf wrote:
It's not that the figures can't sell (look at Marvel Legends) it's just that the show itself has lost touch with the fans and the general audience in the past few years and it's not just the action figure line that's been pulled down by this.
Er-- Gotta disagree with that. That David Tennant hey-day was a once-in-a-series high point. Most shows don't last anywhere close to 12 seasons, and the general expectation of experienced people in the TV business is that even a popular show will decline in viewership each consecutive season, leaving only hard core fans by the end. Under that phenomenon, most shows never make it to year five, or are gone by year seven.

And "Lost touch?" Why? Because a bunch of fanboys and fangirls who started watching in 2005 when they were ten years old now whine that "It's not my show anymore?" I was a classic series fan in 2005 when a lot of my cohorts were also screaming "It's not my show anymore!" Hell, I was nearly one of them, but I hung in there, took the bad with the good, and still count myself a fan to this day.
I totally identify with this. The Davies era, for better and worse, ran the show like a mass-marketed event. Personally I hated this at the time but I thought it'd be the only way I'd get Doctor Who then, some stories were bang-on great, and the leads felt right, so....I stuck around. I'm glad I did.

But Skif's right, a show peaks and ebbs. We're lucky because Who has had several rejuvenations that carried over into ratings over 50 years but the Tennant Era played the show in a way it simply won't recapture because it's not playing safe anymore. (I'd argue it hasn't been playing safe since Series 7, when it brought its history to the masses and made that history storyline-crucial.) That's not a criticism; I'd prefer the show evolve and go new places. But the Davies Era was often pretty bland and tried not to offend most broad audiences. Now, we've a show making frequent social statements, with a lead that split fandom, and a general audience that were less faithful as the season progressed. Also not a criticism; I'd prefer daring with occasional disappointment to bland sameness. But....That's not the kind of thing that'll set viewing records consistently. But it certainly will go new places.

Expecting risks now to translate into numbers this latest incarnation of the show saw 2006-2009 is ignoring the fact the show wasn't very risky then. Love or hate the Chibnall take, at least it's trying new things.

Back on topic, I love that "Planet of the Daleks" set. I could see, the way this line is evolving, maybe one "Deluxe set" including Daleks instead of one of the two TARDIS sets in the future. In the past, sets like that, when done right ("Genesis of The Daleks" & "Resurrection of the Daleks" come to mind) sold through pretty quick.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 am

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:00 pm
Back on topic, I love that "Planet of the Daleks" set. I could see, the way this line is evolving, maybe one "Deluxe set" including Daleks instead of one of the two TARDIS sets in the future. In the past, sets like that, when done right ("Genesis of The Daleks" & "Resurrection of the Daleks" come to mind) sold through pretty quick.
Yeah... um... sorry to hijack things with my rant. :?

But back on topic, apart from the B&M bargain market, I do think the "deluxe" route is one way to target the fan/comic store market.

But from what others have said, that market probably isn't big enough in the UK to support a release strategy like that.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:18 am

skifflebits wrote:
Neon Wolf wrote:
You can't compare Doctor Who with other TV shows on a like for like basis, the whole point of this show is that it renews itself and every new Doctor creates a new jumping on point. Yes the viewing figures are down from that 10th Doctor high but the supporting merchandise and overall presence of the show has plummeted far more than the viewing figures which suggests that although people are still watching they aren't as engaged.

With regard to the most recent series we can see this the clearest as we had a record opening however the sole figure we got from it (The Doctor no less) is on clearance.
skifflebits wrote:

So in 2019 when some fans say "The show has lost touch!!" I feel a huge rush of schadenfreude. A LOT of people said that the first time around, and here we are today with Series 12 bearing down on us. It fills me with shameful glee that the plucky young upstarts are now the crusty old guard complaining that things just ain't as good as they used to be. Get used to it, old man.
Now this part bugs me, the notion that anything other than praise is 'whining'. I thought I'd been clear in my original post that CO are leaning heavily on the classic series as that portion of the fanbase that likes the classics are far more dedicated and more willing to spend their money on this merchandise. Imagine my shock to read your reply about about fanboys and being to old to appreciate the show anymore.

Yes the show has lost touch with the fans but it' not the first time, cast you mind back to when the new paradigm Daleks were introduced. Fans didn't like them and said they were plastic looking so the made them metallic, the fans still didn't like them so they were scrapped. Last series people complained about the lack of returning monsters and low and behold the first teases we get for this series are the Judoon.

The practice is simple you listen to your fans, you give them what they want and they spend money on your product, rinse and repeat. With regard to the casual consumer it's your job to make them a fan and then they'll spend their money with your brand too. I'll make my point again, with Doctor Who pulling in good ratings albeit not as high as Tennant's why can't they sell more merchandise? Why aren't the viewers as engaged as they were?
skifflebits wrote:
Get used to it, old man.
It is however this sentiment that bugs me the most. I've been on this forum a long time and over that time members have come and gone and we've been lucky enough to have older fans who watched the classics as they were broadcast and some who were around since the very first episode was aired. This smug notion that the opinion of said fans can be written off without thought as if they're some grouchy old man yelling at you to get off their lawn is quite offensive. I'd like to think that should any of those old members consider returning then they'd be met with open arms not this.