Paint match for Character 5' bronze daleks

Hoverbout

Paint match for Character 5' bronze daleks

Post by Hoverbout » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Hello!

I'm customising some old CO NSD daleks - but am finding it hard to find a reasonable paint match for the 'bronze' they used for the main colour. Has anyone else tried to do this? Have tried Ford Aztec Bronze (This is advised to builders of full-scale preplica props - but in itself is an approximation only - the real paint used on the TV props appears to have been bespoke - and weathered over plenty) - but it's way off for the toys...

If anyone had attempted this I'd be v interested to hear!

DalekCheese

Re: Paint match for Character 5' bronze daleks

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:24 pm

There’s a website called the mindrobber- mostly CGI daleks, but there’s also a build diary for a full-size one, and apparently he had the paint for that from the same company as the TV series. Contact him and ask. But Ford Aztec Bronze really is bang-on for the full-size props, if not the later 5-inchers...
I am a:
⚪Man ⚪Woman 🔘Scat

Looking for:
⚪Sex ⚪Love 🔘Ba bop ba dop bop bop

Hoverbout

Post by Hoverbout » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:56 pm

This is the issue really. Going for a 'true' match is a red-herring, I've decided. Whatever they used on the toys is not a match for the props - it's more copper-y than anything. I'm not really wanting to completely repaint the model if I can avoid it - as it's one of my son's and he'll want it to look like the rest of his army!

I'll keep hunting about - if I find a solution I'll definitely post it up here as it's possibly useful to other customisers.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:18 pm

You could get a flake of paint from one and have a tin colourmatched?
I am a:
⚪Man ⚪Woman 🔘Scat

Looking for:

Hoverbout

Post by Hoverbout » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Yeah - seems to be one of the options! I have also dropped CO a line to see if they'll let me know the paint code - who knows they might get back to me!

Alternatively (and poss cheaper) is to pick up some Games Workshop pots and see if I can mix an acrylic match myself.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Hoverbout wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:23 pm
Yeah - seems to be one of the options! I have also dropped CO a line to see if they'll let me know the paint code - who knows they might get back to me!

Alternatively (and poss cheaper) is to pick up some Games Workshop pots and see if I can mix an acrylic match myself.
I wouldn’t match it yourself. Trust me, just... don’t. Plus, before you paint on this new paint, give the dalek a sanding, otherwise the paint won’t stick.
I am a:
⚪Man ⚪Woman 🔘Scat

Looking for:

Hoverbout

Post by Hoverbout » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:23 pm

It's actually new rear skirt panels - I've built regular panels with hemis to replace the 'junk' panels from one of those patched-up Manhatten Daleks. The plasticard replacements have been primed etc so adhesion shouldn't be a problem.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Just out of interest, how many NSDs have you got?
I am a:
⚪Man ⚪Woman 🔘Scat

Looking for:

Hoverbout

Post by Hoverbout » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:28 am

Hmm - my son has half a dozen I think. I also have a few knocking about for conversion projects like this one. The 'Manhattan' daleks seem quite common on Ebay - I bought a few joblots of NSDs when DW toys were going for v little a few years back, and these daleks would always be in them.

Up to the paint app the build was v simple really - if I can solve the paint issue then it'd be a fairly easy job to revert these models into a standard Dalek.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:02 pm

What are you using for the bumps?
I am a:
⚪Man ⚪Woman 🔘Scat

Looking for: