How would you save the 5" line?

User avatar
Danoftardis
Posts: 1964
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Telos

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Danoftardis » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 am

I don't know how much money is required to fund the making of a new figure, but could CO perhaps operate a crowd funding like system for new releases? Have it run alongside the B&M model which allows them to squeeze some extra money out of repaints and rereleases, but have 1 or 2 new figures funded by people preordering ahead, sold via CO directly and then maybe a year or two late release it in a B&M pack, similar to what they did with Bill maybe.

Of course I don't know if just getting people to preorder a figure would provide enough funding to make it, but it's an idea. Other than that I'd go with what Skiffle suggests and target the collector market and try and bring in some of those big players, but I don't know how CO would entice them to pick up a range of figures.
Image

Koth2
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Koth2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 am
I don't know how much money is required to fund the making of a new figure, but could CO perhaps operate a crowd funding like system for new releases? Have it run alongside the B&M model which allows them to squeeze some extra money out of repaints and rereleases, but have 1 or 2 new figures funded by people preordering ahead, sold via CO directly and then maybe a year or two late release it in a B&M pack, similar to what they did with Bill maybe.
The cost is in the molding process and creating the molds. There were 4 different 11th Doctors and two different Missy's to cover one mold (of each) so I'm sure that was worth their while. Bill used a Primeval figure mold which would have reduced the cost greatly.

I remember 'The Green Death' 3rd Doctor was way too expensive for me to buy at £30.00 when it first came out, given there were two other 3rd Doctors out at the same time with better extras. £30.00 for one figure was not viable. That's what you may be looking at with a crowd-funding project.

If they can continue to make variants like the way they are in the 3 packs, I'm all up for it.

User avatar
Danoftardis
Posts: 1964
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Telos

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Danoftardis » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:19 pm

Koth2 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:53 pm
£30.00 for one figure was not viable. That's what you may be looking at with a crowd-funding project.
Honestly I wouldn't mind spending £30 if it actually got us a brand new figure, especially if it was something like a Jamie. I mean I'm probably going to be having to spend upwards of £30 anyway for the B&M sets if my local doesn't get them again this year, granted that may be a rather unique circumstance to me and a few others, but I'd rather my £30 went straight to CO rather than a third party seller on the internet.
Image

User avatar
TheSparrow
Posts: 462
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 pm
Location: My parent's basement.

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by TheSparrow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 am
I don't know how much money is required to fund the making of a new figure, but could CO perhaps operate a crowd funding like system for new releases? Have it run alongside the B&M model which allows them to squeeze some extra money out of repaints and rereleases, but have 1 or 2 new figures funded by people preordering ahead, sold via CO directly and then maybe a year or two late release it in a B&M pack, similar to what they did with Bill maybe.

Of course I don't know if just getting people to preorder a figure would provide enough funding to make it, but it's an idea. Other than that I'd go with what Skiffle suggests and target the collector market and try and bring in some of those big players, but I don't know how CO would entice them to pick up a range of figures.
Wasn't this done once with that He-Man thing, where people crowd funded a castle or something? I could be wrong. Probably am lmao.
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉

User avatar
Geeker_Things
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:52 am

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Geeker_Things » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:28 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:22 pm
Neon Wolf wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm
It's not that the figures can't sell (look at Marvel Legends) it's just that the show itself has lost touch with the fans and the general audience in the past few years and it's not just the action figure line that's been pulled down by this.
Er-- Gotta disagree with that. That David Tennant hey-day was a once-in-a-series high point. Most shows don't last anywhere close to 12 seasons, and the general expectation of experienced people in the TV business is that even a popular show will decline in viewership each consecutive season, leaving only hard core fans by the end. Under that phenomenon, most shows never make it to year five, or are gone by year seven.

And "Lost touch?" Why? Because a bunch of fanboys and fangirls who started watching in 2005 when they were ten years old now whine that "It's not my show anymore?" I was a classic series fan in 2005 when a lot of my cohorts were also screaming "It's not my show anymore!" Hell, I was nearly one of them, but I hung in there, took the bad with the good, and still count myself a fan to this day.

So in 2019 when some fans say "The show has lost touch!!" I feel a huge rush of schadenfreude. A LOT of people said that the first time around, and here we are today with Series 12 bearing down on us. It fills me with shameful glee that the plucky young upstarts are now the crusty old guard complaining that things just ain't as good as they used to be. Get used to it, old man.

Could the show be better? Friends, the show could ALWAYS be better.

But it will NEVER be as good as it was when you were ten years old.

:)
I think I disagree with that because a lot of people who grew up with Classic Doctor Who really appreciated the New Series. If they were so glued to the “times of old” like you paint fans who may dislike S11, then the show wouldn’t have been as successful as it was. I don’t think the show could’ve survived on 10 year olds for the past 14 years LOL. It needed the older fans to give it the viewings and ratings. Overall S1-S10 is still highly spoken of. David Tenant era especially.

RTD was the man for the job to revive it, he was a passionate fan who knew what fans would want and had new innovation to the storyline. Moffat was good at that too, but he honestly wrote better stories when he had RTD supervising him haha. Moffat was definitely a master at story arcs and especially for finales. S10s finale of “The Doctor Falls” is absolutely stunning.

Chibnall on the other hand, we’ve already seen the stories he made. They were already some of the most forgettable and plain stories in the show, and his spinoff series were not good at all. When BBC announced him as show runner I was skeptical and found it to be an odd decision to hire the guy that no one really liked. Sure he did good for Broadchurch, but he excels more in writing murder/mystery stories than he does in Sci-Fi. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just he understands different genres than what the show needs. I honestly think he wrote better stories back in the day than anything in S11 LOL

User avatar
Avon
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 am

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Avon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:35 pm

I think the biggest thing for me is, the show, like any needs to continually do better and reinvent itself, grow and attempt each time to outdo itself and never rest on it laurels,while still being accessible to new viewers. Take a look at any sitcom that outstayed it's welcome, and you'll usually see it decline and decline with fewer ideas after about season 5 till it ends up on the absurd and reheated leftovers from discarded scripts. I'm not trying to start a war, but, I'm in my early 20's, grew up with 9 and 10 and the classics in equal measure, I lost interest around season 6? That was partly because I didn't like Matt Smith, as he suffered "the Tom Baker syndrome" i.e. replaced my favorite, so was always going to be judged harshly - but - I personally found it became.., too user unfriendly, so serious and up itself. The Silence, River Song, all that, I'm sure someone's going to grill me alive but I felt it got so needlessly complex, maybe because Blink done so well so lets have another Blink! And another! And another! That I gave up watching and when I came back every so often, I didn't understand half of what was going on and just tuned out, and I know I'm not alone in that. It stops being "cool", no longer must watch TV, kids stop watching, casual people stop, fans stop, something else becomes the new "in" thing, it becomes more niche, that - and merch wise, the fact detailed action figures that arent 5 POA tat just won't make it to the likes of Tescos again, as kids really aren't that interested unless it's "popular" (see how the Thunderbirds toys done verses Star Wars).

I loved Cold War for the opposite. You didn't need to know Smith, or Clara, or anything, it was just a damn fine adventure in a decade I love with an Ice Warrior, and well written, probably why it's my favorite Smith era one, and why I enjoyed Capaldi's last season as much as I did.

Take the same approach with the line, what they have is a good start - 13th variant, one companion variant, three cool monsters as a wave, a TARDIS set, a companions set. Repeat the five figure pattern, perhaps with a deluxe, for a few years, with the B&M sets running alongside. Then, once the money's back and the foot's in the door, new classics at FP - 6 or 7 figure wave with a build a figure

User avatar
skifflebits
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm

I don't want to be misunderstood - I *do* think this past season had weak storytelling. I just get worried because when a lot of people say "The show has gone off-track," they then follow it with uncomfortable political rants. (Not you folks, it seems.) And I also thought the RTD era had weak storytelling, but in different ways. So it's a fun kind of irony to hear NuWho fans complain about it like I was back then. :)

BUT IN TERMS OF TOYS...

I would still put my money on a "greatest hits" approach to toy selection. Don't try to grab every monster from the latest season. Make sure the waves are loaded with old favorites as well as new faces. Baddies that have appeared in multiple stories over the years are a safer bet than just loading up with whoever are in the first three stories of the season.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

User avatar
Neon Wolf
Moderator
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:07 pm

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Neon Wolf » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:24 am

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm
I just get worried because when a lot of people say "The show has gone off-track," they then follow it with uncomfortable political rants.
I think you find yourself accidentally touching on the reason why these past few series of Who have faltered and that's the politics they present and more importantly the way they present them. Heavy handed political stories in any media will always spark conversation about said politics and risks aggravating some fans who are looking for escapism and not a thinly veiled dig from the writer.

If you look at the way in which they spent a whole episode with a Trump caricature with no effort to display any kind of depth or nuance, leaving us with a flat and boring villain who brings down the entire story and is more two dimensional than Dr Eggman. The moral of the story? He's just evil. Not even the Daleks are 'just evil' they have that hatred programmed into them but here we have a man who's just evil anyway. This is the point were people come to discuss the episode and the only thing they can talk about is the politics because the story doesn't stand on its own and instead seeks to be a barnacle on the politics of today.

This isn't the first time in recent memory that the voice of the writer has shouted over that of the characters however, who here remembers Steven Moffat's bashing of the military when Danny Pink was around? I remember sitting at home and feeling quite uncomfortable with some of the dialog that series as both Clara and the Doctor seem to make jabs at the military and Clara particularly made an effort to mock Danny's service. The writing and direction made it clear that you were meant to be siding with her and yet her comments left me cold. The notion left many fans, myself included, quite uncomfortable at the time. The reason being that not only were these comments quite offensive but also quite out of character for the Doctor, a man that had been a soldier himself and even attended a remembrance day memorial during tenths run. This was clearly not the characters speaking but Moffat himself using the show and characters to preach his own views at their expense.

There is however a way to put political messages into TV and film but over the past few years writers and directors have seemingly forgotten how to weave it into something resembling a narrative. 'Invasion of the body snatchers' is a movie about communism, the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' series has a 'green' message being about a group of creatures who want to save the wild life from a man who wants to mechanize everything. This is how these messages and themes should be incorporated into shows like Doctor Who, which is exactly how it used to be and if you need proof just look to the Daleks. The shows most famous component are just an allegory for the Nazis, nothing more nothing less however by using them instead of actual Nazis you're able to dive far deeper into those themes without turning off your audience.

If we bring this back to the toys it becomes clear, will a Trump caricature sell? No. Will the Daleks sell? Yes, all year, every year. Character Options are very wise to shy away from the current series to instead focus on the evergreen items that have lasting appeal such as Sonics, TARDIS sets and Daleks because they all have strong iconography and that's incredibly important when you're selling products like this. I know we've heard rumblings of CO releasing a companions pack from last series but I sincerely hope they don't as I feel that would kill the momentum they're building back with this line as I recall one of the main complaints from last series being the boring side characters. Hopefully they'll bring the TARDIS out and maybe a monster or two, possibly a Judoon with the Mohawk we've seen in the teaser images as I feel that these items will have a far broader appeal.
Image

User avatar
Danoftardis
Posts: 1964
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Telos

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Danoftardis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 am

TheSparrow wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 am
I don't know how much money is required to fund the making of a new figure, but could CO perhaps operate a crowd funding like system for new releases? Have it run alongside the B&M model which allows them to squeeze some extra money out of repaints and rereleases, but have 1 or 2 new figures funded by people preordering ahead, sold via CO directly and then maybe a year or two late release it in a B&M pack, similar to what they did with Bill maybe.

Of course I don't know if just getting people to preorder a figure would provide enough funding to make it, but it's an idea. Other than that I'd go with what Skiffle suggests and target the collector market and try and bring in some of those big players, but I don't know how CO would entice them to pick up a range of figures.
Wasn't this done once with that He-Man thing, where people crowd funded a castle or something? I could be wrong. Probably am lmao.
That's interesting, I'd like to know if it worked out well or not. If it did perhaps my idea isn't as daft as I initially thought it was 8-)
Image

User avatar
skifflebits
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by skifflebits » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:48 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 am
Wasn't this done once with that He-Man thing, where people crowd funded a castle or something? I could be wrong. Probably am lmao.
That's interesting, I'd like to know if it worked out well or not. If it did perhaps my idea isn't as daft as I initially thought it was 8-)
[/quote]

Mattel had a site called Matty Collector which, IIRC, crowdfunded a Castle Grayskull playset.

I don't know if they crowdfunded any other MOTU toys on there, but for a while it was the only source of MOTU figures on the net.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Post Reply