Debbie Does Dalek: but this time Deborah actually does the dalek

DalekCheese

Re: Debbie Does Dalek: but this time Deborah actually does the dalek

Post by DalekCheese »

Yeah fair enough

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

So my project is on hold again for the next few weeks, until I can get hold of some more tamiya, everywhere is out of it right now, but I just wanted to share this feeling I was having just now... Like I'm looking at my dalek, in his temporary home on end of the lower shelf, and he just looks so much more... robust than he did when I got him. All the neck rings are clipped in, the head is kind of on for now, he looks really solid. When all the pieces were falling off, and poorly stuck on, back when I got him, he looked super flimsy, I'm just really impressed with how structurally good he looks now. Sure I've not done a perfect job on him, his skirt is a bit wrong at the front, his shoulder rings aren't straight, and I've continually messed up his paintwork almost from the start, but he just looks so good in the half light that he's getting down there. I'm looking forward to seeing him finished, but I think part of me will miss having this project to do when it's over.

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

I know how you feel. I don't think my customs are the best - they look fine from a distance, maybe a little less up close, but I've loved doing every one of them.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Fincon1 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:46 pm
I know how you feel. I don't think my customs are the best - they look fine from a distance, maybe a little less up close, but I've loved doing every one of them.
You might not, but I do think your customs are the best.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Chapter 11: Debbie has done dalek

It's been over a month since my last update. Tamiya had some delay or other that meant they couldn't ship new stock to anyone in the country, literally every online retailer was out of the stuff, so I just had to kick my heels for a while and wait. I had a productive wait, mind you, went back to university, got my masters, had a baby, visited the south pole... Wait no, I didn't do any of those things. I did nothing. A month of nothing. And then on thursday I finally got more paint in. Dalek was back in business. Or it would have been if it hadn't rained all weekend. But sunday morning the sun shone and I finally got out and resprayed my dalek the correct colour. Zero problems, almost no touch ups needed on the rest of it, the paintwork was finished by the time I went to bed. Then today I just had to stick the head and balls on. Oh dear... So I was having trouble getting the head to stick to the mechanism, it was taking a long time and wouldn't stay at the right angle unless I held it in place, and ain't nobody got time for that. So I thought "I'll put a dod of superglue on here, speed things up". it then proceeded to trickle down the shaft into the wheel mechanism that turns the head and bonded it in place forever. Goshing heck. So I couldn't fix that, but I want the head to be able to turn. My solution was a little crude, the head just isn't glued on, I tweaked the rod so it sits at a nice level at any angle, there's a little bluetack to keep it from falling off but it's not actually attached. An inelegant but workable solution to resolve an unnecessary problem caused by me being an absolute klutz. The sticking on of the hemis went a lot better, except I pushed with enough force to burst one of the seams on the skirt. Very clean crack though, not a structural weakness so I'm not too fussed, I popped a little glue in the crack to seal it back up, I'll make a stencil hole and give that spot a tiny spritz of paint when I get the chance, it's nothing like as bad as the runned off finish fiasco from last time, if I was out of paint I'd not bother. Also messed up othe finish on the second from front left panel, very minimal glue reaction to the paint, it'll fix up but it's not noticable from most angles or on camera. I'll take a million new pictures for tomorrow, but here, for now, it the before and after. I know I've made a real hash of this project at times, I've very much learned on the job, but honestly I'm super happy with how it all turned out.

Image Before ^ Image
After ^

KingYcranos

Post by KingYcranos »

That is brilliant! Well Done! You know, seeing the comparison image, you can really tell how much work has been put into it.
Just when you thought things couldn't get worse...

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

KingYcranos wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:23 am
That is brilliant! Well Done! You know, seeing the comparison image, you can really tell how much work has been put into it.
Thank you so much, that's very kind, he's kept me busy for months, I'm very pleased with the end result :D

KingYcranos

Post by KingYcranos »

At least you had something to do! (I don't mean it in a 'oh you're so lucky having something to do whereas I haven't' kind of way, more of a ' Lockdown has been boring so at least you have something to keep you occupied' way.)
Just when you thought things couldn't get worse...

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

Wow! It's totally unrecognisable from how it started. Really, really nice job.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Fincon1 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:48 pm
Wow! It's totally unrecognisable from how it started. Really, really nice job.
Protip: for that really striking before and after contrast, just buy another dalek, no-one will know

That's a joke, I hasten to add, they are the same dalek. 90% anyway, I did replace a few bits along the way.

Jokes aside, though, thank you, your praise means a lot, you were a big part of setting me on the track of doing this with the old thing. I think until I saw your movie daleks my thinking was "at some point I'll stick the broken bits of this dalek back together", you definitely set my train of thought more towards "I should repaint it too" which kind of evolved when I finally did get round to doing it into the more extensive refurbishment we ended up with.