General Questions About Figures Thread

Uncle_Abe

Re: General Questions About Figures Thread

Post by Uncle_Abe »

Hey folks,
I have a couple of Robots of Death Robots without their chest stickers, can anyone think of a way to get some neat and tidy numbers on there? Painting by hand will look messy.

Basically, I'm asking if anyone knows how to make my own transparent decals?

Thanks

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Uncle_Abe wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:54 pm
Hey folks,
I have a couple of Robots of Death Robots without their chest stickers, can anyone think of a way to get some neat and tidy numbers on there? Painting by hand will look messy.

Thanks
Hmm... Good question.

I know you can buy transparent "paper" (made of plastic) for use in laser and inkjet printers, but I don't think there's a color printer than can print white ink.

I suppose you might be able to get some white sticker paper and print it with a background the same color as the figure, though you wouldn't have the metallic shine on it. It might be "close enough" though, since the area on the figure is so tiny it might not be noticeable.

Koth2

Post by Koth2 »

Shame theres no white sharpie.

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Koth2 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:09 pm
You could try a posca pen, I know they definitely have white pens

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:56 pm
Koth2 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:09 pm
You could try a posca pen, I know they definitely have white pens
An unusual solution I found: Check out nail polish pens. They'll usually have a fine applicator to allow small designs. I actually found a shade of blue that served perfectly to touch up scraped or ill-painted Classic Dalek hemis and eyestalk disks, and used a black one to correct a "Genesis" Dalek whose pupil was not painted in. Plus, they usually don't conflict with the paint apps.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

'Course, if you're going to do it by hand, I hope your handwriting is pretty pristine.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:40 pm
Uncle_Abe wrote:
Hey folks,

Thanks
Hmm... Good question.

I know you can buy transparent "paper" (made of plastic) for use in laser and inkjet printers, but I don't think there's a color printer than can print white ink.

I suppose you might be able to get some white sticker paper and print it with a background the same color as the figure, though you wouldn't have the metallic shine on it. It might be "close enough" though, since the area on the figure is so tiny it might not be noticeable.

Could they potentially be printed on the transparent paper in not quite completely white? For example slightly grey or yellow? They wouldn't be pure white but surely they'd be pretty close?

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Doctor What wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:37 pm
Could they potentially be printed on the transparent paper in not quite completely white? For example slightly grey or yellow? They wouldn't be pure white but surely they'd be pretty close?
Well, the thing is that "white" on a regular printer is just the absence of ink. It assumes you're printing on white paper, so it just doesn't print anything where the white would go. So printing "not quite white" on a transparent sticker would just result in a very faint gray/black that would probably get lost against the background.

I suppose it's possible that printing in yellow might yield different results.

It's possible you might be able to find some kind of super glossy paper that would end up approximating the metallic shine of the figure when you print out the label.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

I just discovered that yes, they do make metallic-surface photo paper for inkjet printers, so if you wanted to print up tiny chest labels for your "Robots of Death" figures, you could do that and glue them on yourself. Probably the best solution.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Uncle_Abe wrote:
Hey folks,

Thanks
A little late, perhaps, but you can order decals made up for very little money.