B&M doctor who sets.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 am

Whovastron wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:48 pm
Surely the Yeti aren’t owned by someone other than the BBC? I thought the Daleks were the only ones that the BBC needed permission to use in any way. I know that the people who made K-9 have rights, but they’re kinda co-owned.

TW.
The Yeti, Dominators, and Quarks were designed by Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln, and the BBC discontinued using them after they got into a spat over who owned the rights to the characters for comics and other spin-off media.

Right now, I'm not sure who retains the usage rights, as Candy Jar books (the people releasing the Letherbridge-Stewart novels) appear to have licensed use of the Haisman and Lincoln's creations, at least in print. Their appearance in other media since the 60's is fleeting, and Big Finish has never used them (other than a few passing name-only references like in Flip-Flop) and if Big Finish haven't touched them, that leads me to believe the rights are still in dispute, or at least something that they'll have to pay the estate of Haisman and Lincoln to use. (I notice the one time the Quarks appear in a few panels of a 12th Doctor comic, they made sure to thank Candy Jar Books and seemingly gave them several pages of free add space, so I'm assuming that was a special one-time negotiation, and they can't just use them whenever they want.)

SJF

Post by SJF » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:52 am

3DPrintingDoctorWho wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:48 am
Whovastron wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:48 pm
Surely the Yeti aren’t owned by someone other than the BBC? I thought the Daleks were the only ones that the BBC needed permission to use in any way. I know that the people who made K-9 have rights, but they’re kinda co-owned.

TW.
The Yeti, Dominators, and Quarks were designed by Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln, and the BBC discontinued using them after they got into a spat over who owned the rights to the characters for comics and other spin-off media.

Right now, I'm not sure who retains the usage rights, as Candy Jar books (the people releasing the Letherbridge-Stewart novels) appear to have licensed use of the Haisman and Lincoln's creations, at least in print. Their appearance in other media since the 60's is fleeting, and Big Finish has never used them (other than a few passing name-only references like in Flip-Flop) and if Big Finish haven't touched them, that leads me to believe the rights are still in dispute, or at least something that they'll have to pay the estate of Haisman and Lincoln to use. (I notice the one time the Quarks appear in a few panels of a 12th Doctor comic, they made sure to thank Candy Jar Books and seemingly gave them several pages of free add space, so I'm assuming that was a special one-time negotiation, and they can't just use them whenever they want.)
Andy Frankham-Allen, who writes for and I think is the “Nick Briggs” of Candy Jar Books, is the executor of the Haisman Estate. Like Big Finish have to and did go through him when they want to use the Yeti or Brig. This is a relatively recent position though that he’s only come to in the last few years since the Candy Jar books started.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 pm

Weird that they nixed a Yeti figure but then approved the Brig.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:56 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 pm
Was the brigadier not maybe approved before that all happened? I feel like the yeti figure was meant to be around the time of the unmade furry troughton, and that was a fair while after the first of the brigadiers.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Maybe you're right. I honestly don't remember the timeline exactly.

And on another topic: Am I the only one who wakes up every morning wondering if Big Finish has made an announcement about their damn toys yet?
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:04 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:02 pm

And on another topic: Am I the only one who wakes up every morning wondering if Big Finish has made an announcement about their damn toys yet?
I feel like we're going to have to wait a while for that, like it sounded to me like the exact anouncement for the main sets wont be until early july, so probably BF won't be long before then.

SJF

Post by SJF » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:04 pm

I have a feeling a lot of people are gonna be annoyed when the Eighth Doctor Set is revealed, with us having been promised a new take on Eight after all. I think far too many people are expecting a Dark Eyes figure when it’s probably just gonna be NOTD Eight with a black or blue coat.

SJF

Post by SJF » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:04 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:02 pm

I feel like we're going to have to wait a while for that, like it sounded to me like the exact anouncement for the main sets wont be until early july, so probably BF won't be long before then.
Big Finish Day is next Saturday. I’m more than confident that it’ll be revealed then.

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:25 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:56 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 pm
Was the brigadier not maybe approved before that all happened? I feel like the yeti figure was meant to be around the time of the unmade furry troughton, and that was a fair while after the first of the brigadiers.
I think they can use Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, since obviously the BBC worked something out a long time ago where they were comfortable using the character for the entire classic series run and beyond. Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart might be another matter.

Smappy

Post by Smappy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am

Al just posted this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/h_melmacian/status/ ... 1350522880

For those of you who are blocked for some reason, here's the image, which shows what's almost definitely 4's TARDIS for the B&M set this year: Image

If this is it, the roof is almost definitely a new piece, or at least fixed so it no longer sags horribly in the middle.
Don't have anything else yet, here's my only piece of art that's wider than it is high: Image