Deborah's Drawings of Stuff

Deborah J

Re: Deborah's Drawings of Stuff

Post by Deborah J » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:24 pm

Ok, last one of these for now, although I will share a few more old who pictures later on, like the collection of old mangled scrappy drawings I found at the bottom of an old schoolbag recently, stuck back together and cleaned up digitally, they're worth a look. And my blue peter one if I can find that. But for now, this gem. I drew this in the weeks leading up to the show's revival, in late winter early spring of 2005. I'd just gotten into the show, after watching a rerun of a documentary about the classic series, I was all stoked and ready for the new episodes, and absorbing everything I could about doctor who, and right in that time I drew this... thing. It's all the doctors, except McGann who wasn't mentioned on the documentary, so I didn't know about him yet, plus a dalek and a cyberman and the tardis. What a mess of a picture, hartnell is in abowtie and a comfy jumper, troughton is dressed as a priest, pertwee's not too bad, but Tom is like the worlds worst tom cosplay, davison is ginger, and I remember honestly thinking that colin and syvester's costumes were like that. I got really confused when I started watching them and there was no yellow jacket colin costume variant, and no stories with mccoy in a blue stripey blazer. Egg is just in a casual outdoor jacket, collared shirt and a jumper, his standard costume.

And before you start thinking "aaaw, that's cute" no, this was drawn by a 12 year old, nearly 13, if a 5 year old drew that it would be cute, someone as old as I was it's just a bad drawing. Don't cut past Deborah any slack, she sucks.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:49 pm

1. I've long held the belief you can tell a lot about an artist from their working drawings/sketches, basically the stuff no one is supposed to ever see. Your one is super decent.

2. I actually really love your 11 Doctors drawing, there's a quirkiness to it. Matt is totally horrified, Pertwee is about to slap someone into space and Troughton is properly peeved. :lol:

3. Yep that's a Cbeebies drawing, no doubts about it. ;)

Avon

Post by Avon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Loving your art Deborah! That 11 Doctor's drawing, you've just perfectly nailed the character for each one and I approve of the Venusian akido, you've got a real talent for giving each one alot of life and I actually quite like Colin. The last one's still.., good! Tom look's like the cider dude from Camberwick Green

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Avon wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:06 pm
Loving your art Deborah! That 11 Doctor's drawing, you've just perfectly nailed the character for each one and I approve of the Venusian akido, you've got a real talent for giving each one alot of life and I actually quite like Colin. The last one's still.., good! Tom look's like the cider dude from Camberwick Green
That’s scarily accurate.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:28 pm

Some more very early Deborah Who art, back in early 2006 I did a set of drawings of all of the doctors (possibly excluding 10, who was very new at the time) each on their own scrap of paper. You might notice 9 is a completely different style to the rest, he's traced from the 2006 doctor who annual. There was an illustration in that of a blue energy ghost version of egg, and I wanted to make that into a regular egg, and then I went ahead and drew the rest too. 3, 5 and 6 are all based on quite well known publicity stills, in terms of their poses. I recently found these scraps of drawings in the bottom of an old rucksack when clearing out my bedroom, I patched them up as best I could, scanned them, cleaned them a bit more digitally, and now here they are. Except 1 and 7, they have disappeared entirely. I don't remember what 1 was doing in his, but 7 was based on that knee forward low camera umbrella thrust picture that I really liked at the time. They'll probably never turn up. And if I ever did a 10 in this set he's disappeared also. But here are the other seven pictures. Note om baker's wrong-way-around hands.

I might have some more old art if I can find it, this was a very big improvement on my first doctor who picture, after a relatively short period. Still not great, I haven't worked out how to draw troughton yet, but a big step up from before.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:38 am

I was gonna say, Tom appears to have been involved in a serious accident, because of which his thumbs have been grafted onto the bottom of his hands. And you gave Pertwee a level of bouffant not even the great man himself could achieve. :lol:

But as you say it was a significant improvement over your previous drawing, give 13 year old you a pat on the back.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Danoftardis wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:38 am
I was gonna say, Tom appears to have been involved in a serious accident, because of which his thumbs have been grafted onto the bottom of his hands. And you gave Pertwee a level of bouffant not even the great man himself could achieve. :lol:

But as you say it was a significant improvement over your previous drawing, give 13 year old you a pat on the back.
I'll send her round the tattoo parlour with this photo, see what they can do for her.

Last edited by Deborah J on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:28 pm
Some more very early Deborah Who art, back in early 2006 I did a set of drawings of all of the doctors (possibly excluding 10, who was very new at the time) each on their own scrap of paper. You might notice 9 is a completely different style to the rest, he's traced from the 2006 doctor who annual. There was an illustration in that of a blue energy ghost version of egg, and I wanted to make that into a regular egg, and then I went ahead and drew the rest too. 3, 5 and 6 are all based on quite well known publicity stills, in terms of their poses. I recently found these scraps of drawings in the bottom of an old rucksack when clearing out my bedroom, I patched them up as best I could, scanned them, cleaned them a bit more digitally, and now here they are. Except 1 and 7, they have disappeared entirely. I don't remember what 1 was doing in his, but 7 was based on that knee forward low camera umbrella thrust picture that I really liked at the time. They'll probably never turn up. And if I ever did a 10 in this set he's disappeared also. But here are the other seven pictures. Note om baker's wrong-way-around hands.

I might have some more old art if I can find it, this was a very big improvement on my first doctor who picture, after a relatively short period. Still not great, I haven't worked out how to draw troughton yet, but a big step up from before.
That’s very good. The real problem I have is that I can’t tell whether Tom’s got an open mouth or a pink moustache.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:30 pm

DalekCheese wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:14 pm
That’s very good. The real problem I have is that I can’t tell whether Tom’s got an open mouth or a pink moustache.
it's meant to be the huge sticking plaster he has over the bite he got from paul seeds dog in the promotional photos for s16

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:11 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:38 am

I'll send her round the tattoo parlour with this photo, see what they can do for her.

patback.jpg
Oh, very clever. :lol: