Controversial Opinions

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by CharlieTheWhovian » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Galactic YoYo wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:42 am
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 am
Can't remember if I've said this before but I think s6 is Matt Smith's strongest season.
Definitely, The Impossible Astronaut and the Girl who Waited are my favourite 11th Doctor stories.
I love A Good Man Goes To War personally

BilliePiperFan

Post by BilliePiperFan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:43 pm

CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:01 pm
Galactic YoYo wrote:
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 am
Can't remember if I've said this before but I think s6 is Matt Smith's strongest season.
Definitely, The Impossible Astronaut and the Girl who Waited are my favourite 11th Doctor stories.
I like it but it's not one of my S6 favourites.

I always thought there could have been a better pay off than River being Amy and Rory's daughter.
I don't have a signature. Sad reacts only.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:00 pm

BilliePiperFan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:43 pm
CharlieTheWhovian wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:01 pm
Galactic YoYo wrote:

I like it but it's not one of my S6 favourites.

I always thought there could have been a better pay off than River being Amy and Rory's daughter.
Absolutely.

The payoff of "How will the Doctor live???" was pretty weak too. They set up a more plausible solution (the flesh) and went with one that.....makes way less sense.

S6 would be stronger if the episodes were reordered too.

And Amy and Rory got pretty good closure with S6 too. Moving on with S7, episode 1 would've played better. Especially for multiple Claras; imagine her dying straight away, no companion for an episode (so we assume her casting a red herring), and then her popping up again and maybe dying three stories later. By "The Snowmen", it certainly would've made the Doctor's "WHAT is going on?" more dramatically built.

I'm fine with what we got, but I always felt Smith's post S5 developments rushed. "The Crown" shows he's great playing a slow burn, letting things weigh on him, and then breaking. I'd have loved more of that.

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:13 pm

The first episode of Series 11 was the first time in a long time that made me excited to watch the next episode, and whilst the series didn't live up to all my expectations, it was the first series in a while that really made me remember why I loved the show and reignited my passion for it.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:43 pm

S6 did get reshuffled at the last minute, they were originally to have night terrors and black spot the other way around

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:59 pm

Controversial opinion: "The Brain of Morbius" is canon, and all of those faces before Hartnell's really were past incarnations of the Doctor.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:59 pm
Controversial opinion: "The Brain of Morbius" is canon, and all of those faces before Hartnell's really were past incarnations of the Doctor.
Oh no, I had an argument with a friend of mine about this recently, I'm not having that, if you want your morbius doctors canon you can do it outside.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:07 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:59 pm
Oh no, I had an argument with a friend of mine about this recently, I'm not having that, if you want your morbius doctors canon you can do it outside.
I’ll just leave before I cause trouble...
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:43 pm
S6 did get reshuffled at the last minute, they were originally to have night terrors and black spot the other way around
Let's not forget that "The Doctor's Wife" was held over from S5 too! It originally occupied the spot "The Lodger" held and had to be rewritten to include Rory.

That said, I think the rewrites went ok. But it has a very different "vibe" to the rest of S6.

Shame rewrites didn't do "Nightmare in Silver" as many favours.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:54 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:43 pm
Let's not forget that "The Doctor's Wife" was held over from S5 too! It originally occupied the spot "The Lodger" held and had to be rewritten to include Rory.

That said, I think the rewrites went ok. But it has a very different "vibe" to the rest of S6.

Shame rewrites didn't do "Nightmare in Silver" as many favours.
NiS feels like if you put 15 minutes more of story-and-character-developing footage into it it could be really great. And also maybe if you cut out Archie and Artie, or whatever those kids were called.