Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
skifflebits

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:59 pm
Controversial opinion: "The Brain of Morbius" is canon, and all of those faces before Hartnell's really were past incarnations of the Doctor.
Oh no, I had an argument with a friend of mine about this recently, I'm not having that, if you want your morbius doctors canon you can do it outside.
Hey, who's to say he didn't have a whole set of regenerations before he "started over at one" with Hartnell?

I mean, if Big Finish is canon, anything is possible. ;)
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:23 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:59 pm
Controversial opinion: "The Brain of Morbius" is canon, and all of those faces before Hartnell's really were past incarnations of the Doctor.
Oh no, I had an argument with a friend of mine about this recently, I'm not having that, if you want your morbius doctors canon you can do it outside.
Hey, who's to say he didn't have a whole set of regenerations before he "started over at one" with Hartnell?

I mean, if Big Finish is canon, anything is possible. ;)
Oh, I really hate this.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Those faces were Morbius’ incarnations, simple as that to me...

There’s so much in canon, even in the classic era, that disproves this theory. “Which regeneration” “fourth” “oh, so there are five of me now” a simple exchange in the five doctors that establishes firmly that Hartnell is 1, and Davison is 5

Anyway here’s a controversial for ya:
- Rosa is fine, there’s some nice scenes, but a idiotic villain and terrible exchanges between characters takes it down. The best part of the episode is the scene with the copper

TW.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:00 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:54 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:43 pm
S6 did get reshuffled at the last minute, they were originally to have night terrors and black spot the other way around
Let's not forget that "The Doctor's Wife" was held over from S5 too! It originally occupied the spot "The Lodger" held and had to be rewritten to include Rory.

That said, I think the rewrites went ok. But it has a very different "vibe" to the rest of S6.

Shame rewrites didn't do "Nightmare in Silver" as many favours.
NiS feels like if you put 15 minutes more of story-and-character-developing footage into it it could be really great. And also maybe if you cut out Archie and Artie, or whatever those kids were called.
Are you aware that the original draft had "Snowmen"-period Clara with her Governess-job kids before they decided to kill her off? So much of NIS makes more sense that way, and explains the hilarious shoehorned scene tagged on "The Crimson Horror" that makes it look like Clara has a group photo addiction.

I agree, it could've been easily fixed with more time.

Nothing can fix Matt Smith's Eccleston impersonation, though. ;)

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Whovastron wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:43 pm
I actually assumed that on first watch. They bounce back between Tom and ol' fishbowl, then we see canon 1-3, then we see Morbius' backstory.

SJF

Post by SJF » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Whovastron wrote:

There’s so much in canon, even in the classic era, that disproves this theory. “Which regeneration” “fourth” “oh, so there are five of me now” a simple exchange in the five doctors that establishes firmly that Hartnell is 1, and Davison is 5

TW.
To be fair, the Doctor was supposed to be the reincarnation of The Other, whose faces allegedly appear in The Brain of Morbius, which would mean that the Doctor wouldn’t necessarily remember his life before he was the First Doctor. Though that doesn’t gel with what he says in Remembrance of the Daleks.

I personally don’t like the loom and other theory, but it’s already been pretty much confirmed that he was at one point loomed from the other’s dna, was half-Human and full Time Lord and this is all present in his bio data and no one quite knows the truth as it’s constantly changing. So for me, who knows what he is in the Classic series, but by the Virgin novels he’s loomed, by the Eighth Doctor novels he’s half-human and once we get to the Time War and beyond he’s now full-Blood womb born Time Lord.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:17 pm

This is all awful and I hate it, and I want nothing to do with any of it.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:17 pm
This is all awful and I hate it, and I want nothing to do with any of it.
Now there's controversy for you. Deborah's pulling no punches here.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 pm

SJF wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 pm
Whovastron wrote:

TW.
To be fair, the Doctor was supposed to be the reincarnation of The Other, whose faces allegedly appear in The Brain of Morbius, which would mean that the Doctor wouldn’t necessarily remember his life before he was the First Doctor. Though that doesn’t gel with what he says in Remembrance of the Daleks.

I personally don’t like the loom and other theory, but it’s already been pretty much confirmed that he was at one point loomed from the other’s dna, was half-Human and full Time Lord and this is all present in his bio data and no one quite knows the truth as it’s constantly changing. So for me, who knows what he is in the Classic series, but by the Virgin novels he’s loomed, by the Eighth Doctor novels he’s half-human and once we get to the Time War and beyond he’s now full-Blood womb born Time Lord.
When it comes to the novels, all that stuff is so whacky that I just ignore it.

For me, canon is: the Tv series and spin-offs, Big Finish, and any written stuff I read and really like.

The thing with the books is they’re not well known, even to the people who run the show. At least with big finish the actors know them and a lot of people listen. But with books, and by extension comics, you get in the business of things like; Sally Sparrow being 2 separate people who go through very similar experiences. the events of the Lodger happen twice for the Doctor but with different people. the ‘hiding’ people from Listen are called Floofs and the 10th Doctor knew all about them (the person under the covers is even designed to look like the book illustration intentionally). Human Nature has happened twice etc. etc. And that’s before you get into the business of things like Lungbarrow. And whilst Big Finish also has some discrepancies (Dalek being a loose adaption of Jubilee, for example). I’d say they’re a bit more solid.

Basically my controversial opinion is that only Doctor Who media that features the actual actors is canon, but a lot of the books and comics are still fantastic.

TW.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Whovastron wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 pm
basically my controversial opinion is that only Doctor Who media that features the actual actors is canon, but a lot of the books and comics are still fantastic.

TW.
I mean BBV has the actors so I'm guessing NCB is cannon 😉
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉