Controversial Opinions

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Spannerintheworks
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:08 am

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by Spannerintheworks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:11 pm

I guess that's my controversial opinion:

The novels are all apocryphal/don't count. I take Big Finish as canon, and the spinoffs.

Bonus controversy: "Rosa" would've been better without any half-ass future villain. The best drama and conflict arise from the TARDIS crew realizing they have to let history happen and their reckoning with just plain discrimination. This is one S11 story that didn't need a "villain"/sci-fi additive. The conflict and drama were there already.

User avatar
Deborah J
Posts: 2162
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:56 pm
Location: "I live in my house"

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:17 pm

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:11 pm
Bonus controversy: "Rosa" would've been better without any half-ass future villain. The best drama and conflict arise from the TARDIS crew realizing they have to let history happen and their reckoning with just plain discrimination. This is one S11 story that didn't need a "villain"/sci-fi additive. The conflict and drama were there already.
I do agree with that in principle, but they would need to restructure it a bit to give the doctor and co a reason to stick around, like the situation of them having to be passively involved with events on the bus was very powerful, but they were only there because otherwise there wouldn't be enough people on the bus, without spaceracist that wouldn't be the case, o, like, they'd need to make a few changes to allow for his absenhse, he's very much a plot device character. Historicals with no aliens do work, though, so I have no doubt it would be possible.
Image

User avatar
Valeyard
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: The Non-Canon Archive

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by Valeyard » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:59 pm
Controversial opinion: "The Brain of Morbius" is canon, and all of those faces before Hartnell's really were past incarnations of the Doctor.
Oh no, I had an argument with a friend of mine about this recently, I'm not having that, if you want your morbius doctors canon you can do it outside.
Hey, who's to say he didn't have a whole set of regenerations before he "started over at one" with Hartnell?

I mean, if Big Finish is canon, anything is possible. ;)
Big Finish isn’t canon.
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

User avatar
SJF
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by SJF » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Valeyard wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm


Oh no, I had an argument with a friend of mine about this recently, I'm not having that, if you want your morbius doctors canon you can do it outside.
Hey, who's to say he didn't have a whole set of regenerations before he "started over at one" with Hartnell?

I mean, if Big Finish is canon, anything is possible. ;)
Big Finish isn’t canon.
Only in the sense that Doctor Who doesn’t have a canon.
Image

User avatar
skifflebits
Posts: 662
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:47 pm

SJF wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:25 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 pm
skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:19 pm


Hey, who's to say he didn't have a whole set of regenerations before he "started over at one" with Hartnell?

I mean, if Big Finish is canon, anything is possible. ;)
Big Finish isn’t canon.
Only in the sense that Doctor Who doesn’t have a canon.
And in the sense that it isn't canon.

:)
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

User avatar
SJF
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by SJF » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:47 pm
SJF wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:25 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:07 pm


Big Finish isn’t canon.
Only in the sense that Doctor Who doesn’t have a canon.
And in the sense that it isn't canon.

:)
Well of course! One cannot be canon if there is no canon of which to be apart of!

;)
Image

User avatar
Valeyard
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: The Non-Canon Archive

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by Valeyard » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 am

SJF, we established long ago that anything good isn’t canon and anything awful is canon. Because Big Finish is god tier, it’s not canon.
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

User avatar
SJF
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by SJF » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:30 am

Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 am
SJF, we established long ago that anything good isn’t canon and anything awful is canon. Because Big Finish is god tier, it’s not canon.

Love and Monsters - not canon

Hell Bent - canon
Image

User avatar
Valeyard
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: The Non-Canon Archive

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by Valeyard » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:45 am

SJF wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:30 am
Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 am
SJF, we established long ago that anything good isn’t canon and anything awful is canon. Because Big Finish is god tier, it’s not canon.

Love and Monsters - not canon

Hell Bent - canon
Love and Monsters is an exception, that is very much canon as it is god tier and is the holy grail of TV.
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

User avatar
TheSparrow
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 pm
Location: My parent's basement.

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by TheSparrow » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:01 am

Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:45 am
SJF wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:30 am
Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 am
SJF, we established long ago that anything good isn’t canon and anything awful is canon. Because Big Finish is god tier, it’s not canon.

Love and Monsters - not canon

Hell Bent - canon
Love and Monsters is an exception, that is very much canon as it is god tier and is the holy grail of TV.
Dimensions in Time is canon
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉

Post Reply