Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Whovastron

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by Whovastron » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 am

TheSparrow wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:08 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 pm
basically my controversial opinion is that only Doctor Who media that features the actual actors is canon, but a lot of the books and comics are still fantastic.

TW.
I mean BBV has the actors so I'm guessing NCB is cannon 😉
You got me! Although isn’t Kate Stewart from those originally?

TW.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:12 am

TheSparrow wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:01 am
Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:45 am
SJF wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:30 am

Love and Monsters - not canon

Hell Bent - canon
Love and Monsters is an exception, that is very much canon as it is god tier and is the holy grail of TV.
Dimensions in Time is canon
You're damn right it is. And the unaired variant where big ron saves the day is double canon.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Whovastron wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 am
TheSparrow wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:08 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:00 pm
basically my controversial opinion is that only Doctor Who media that features the actual actors is canon, but a lot of the books and comics are still fantastic.

TW.
I mean BBV has the actors so I'm guessing NCB is cannon 😉
You got me! Although isn’t Kate Stewart from those originally?

TW.
Yes! She is, I completely forgot that 😂
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉

Galactic YoYo

Post by Galactic YoYo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:51 pm

I don't like how Big Finish writes Romana 2, Mary Tamm's incarnation was done spot on but I don't like how Lalla Ward's version being really serious and aggressive a lot of the time. I don't mind it when it's post Warriors gate Romana who had been a Dalek prisoner for 20 years, plus the slight changes in the 2003 version of Shada improved her character in the story, I.E the Doctor being the one more relaxed about the lost book than her. However in the 4th Doctor adventures and novel adaptions doesn't really work as during that point she was just as much of an airhead as The Doctor.

I understand that they were in a relationship in real life at the time and impacted their performance and now they have to record the audios at different studios but still, Mary was the more cynical and serious one and having them on different spectrums help them to stand out from each other. Listening to her in Legacy of Time how aggressive she got at the Doctor just trying to hug her really made me annoyed. I've heard none of Gallifrey so hopefully she's better written when she's the lead.
"It seems that I am some kind of a Galactic yoyo" Jon Pertwee- The Claws of Axos

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:58 pm

Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 am
SJF, we established long ago that anything good isn’t canon and anything awful is canon. Because Big Finish is god tier, it’s not canon.
If by "god tier" you mean "often god-awful," I agree.

:)

(And by the way, I'm largely being a deliberate jackass here. Though I can't tell you how many times I shelled out big money for a BF story only to have it suck. Between "Zagreus" and "The Light at the End," Nick Briggs is lucky I haven't turned up at his house in the middle of the night demanding a refund.)
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Galactic YoYo

Post by Galactic YoYo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:11 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:58 pm
Valeyard wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:28 am
SJF, we established long ago that anything good isn’t canon and anything awful is canon. Because Big Finish is god tier, it’s not canon.
If by "god tier" you mean "often god-awful," I agree.

:)

(And by the way, I'm largely being a deliberate jackass here. Though I can't tell you how many times I shelled out big money for a BF story only to have it suck. Between "Zagreus" and "The Light at the End," Nick Briggs is lucky I haven't turned up at his house in the middle of the night demanding a refund.)
Try the Rob Shearman plays.
"It seems that I am some kind of a Galactic yoyo" Jon Pertwee- The Claws of Axos

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:32 pm

I'd suggest anything by Jonathan Morris, he's generally a very strong writer, although I've only listened to one of his audio plays, it was a really good one

SJF

Post by SJF » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Honestly the only Nick Briggs release I could genuinely recommend to anyone is Dark Eyes 1, which by some Nick Briggs fluke is amazing. Everything else should be avoided at all cost.

John Dorney is probably the best writer that BF have regularly. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad one from him.

Rob Shearman has only written a few, but they’re all amazing.

Like Deb says, Jonny Morris is very consistent too.

I’d also recommend anything by Nev Fountain and Jac Rayner.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:41 am

This isn't exactly 'controversial' but 'The Web Planet' is one of my favourite Hartnell serials. I know it's got a bit of a bad reputation but I enjoy it, there's quite a good idea behind it, and it's certainly ambitious for 1965. Plus who doesn't want to see people dressed as giant ants and moths?

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:51 am

Danoftardis wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:41 am
This isn't exactly 'controversial' but 'The Web Planet' is one of my favourite Hartnell serials. I know it's got a bit of a bad reputation but I enjoy it, there's quite a good idea behind it, and it's certainly ambitious for 1965. Plus who doesn't want to see people dressed as giant ants and moths?
Well I can be controversail to you by saying that it's one of my all time least favourite stories. It's the only one I'm not able to watch in one sitting, because the "vaseline-on-the-lens" effect they used to make the planet look more alien makes me feel physically nauseous. I can't get through more than two or three parts before I have to bail and come back to it another day. Like I've watched the war games all in one sitting before, Web Planet is just impossible. I also feel really bad for Bill Hartnell in that scene in part one where he forgets his lines and theres about a minute where they just keep rolling and Ian is trying to prompt him back to the place and he absolutely doesn't have a clue, and eventually they just pick up from nowhere and act like nothing happened, my heart really breaks for the guy there, it's hard to watch. also the second half gets really slow, which doesn't help if you already feel a little queasy, it's like it's never going to end.