The worst figures...

Spannerintheworks

Re: The worst figures...

Post by Spannerintheworks » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Here's an odd one I've always felt:

Every suited 10th Doctor. The long coat is fine, but Tennant wears very fitted suits and up until the Tuxedo 10, the suit coats looked like he raided the XXL closet. Oddly, the suit looks fine/fitting on the Ancient/Aged 10th Doctor, so it's not like they couldn't achieve it.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:30 pm

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:58 pm
Here's an odd one I've always felt:

Every suited 10th Doctor. The long coat is fine, but Tennant wears very fitted suits and up until the Tuxedo 10, the suit coats looked like he raided the XXL closet. Oddly, the suit looks fine/fitting on the Ancient/Aged 10th Doctor, so it's not like they couldn't achieve it.
aged ancient was released about 2 years later, though, I guess in that time they'd improved their technique. My main complaint with the tennant figures is the suit is cut so high at the top you can barely see his tie, which seems a shame.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:05 pm

The original tennant figure is awful compared to later releases. I’ve always been astounded we never got a second sculpt, considering Matt Smith and Capaldi got atleast 2 each

Not counting spacesuits, here’s the different body sculpts for 10-12

Tennant - original, long coat, tuxedo, aged
Smith - raggedy, series 5, series 5 jacketless, series 6, series 7, the Snowmen
Capaldi - series 8, series 9

Tennant really needs a taller figure with ball jointed arms and the later headsculpt. The tuxedo 10 is probably his best figure because of it

On another note of worst figures; Rory is horrid. The face sculpt is quite possibly the worst CO has ever done, and none of the variants are from any episodes. The grey/black one is kinda like the Hungry Earth, but they couldn’t even do the checker design. Don’t get me wrong, I’m so happy we have him as a figure, but damn did they drop the ball compared to the likes of Amy, River and Bill

TW.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 pm

Whovastron wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:05 pm

On another note of worst figures; Rory is horrid. The face sculpt is quite possibly the worst CO has ever done...
Interesting because it's a digital scan of his head.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:05 pm

On another note of worst figures; Rory is horrid. The face sculpt is quite possibly the worst CO has ever done...
Interesting because it's a digital scan of his head.
A lot of the digital scans still manage to come out bad. Capaldi springs to mind.

TW.

crazydiamond

Post by crazydiamond » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:57 am

The early New Series Daleks that look like they have cartoon proportions. I'm glad they eventually redid them (does anyone remember the first release of the updated sculpt? surprisingly i don't have one yet)

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 am

crazydiamond wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:57 am
The early New Series Daleks that look like they have cartoon proportions. I'm glad they eventually redid them (does anyone remember the first release of the updated sculpt? surprisingly i don't have one yet)
I believe the new sculpt first appeared in the 'Stolen Earth' set but there was an RC Supreme Dalek that came out first that uses the new sculpt as a base.

I know the first releases were inaccurate but I still kinda like them and they still go well with the new Daleks.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:45 am

I only have two new series daleks and they're both the exxaggerated proportions type. Never really noticed they were particularly incorrect until the updated ones showed up, they're not that distractingly bad.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:10 am

Deborah J wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:45 am
I only have two new series daleks and they're both the exxaggerated proportions type. Never really noticed they were particularly incorrect until the updated ones showed up, they're not that distractingly bad.
I have to agree, I've got two original NSDs and the 2008 supreme, and while the guns and eyes do look a bit out of proportion in comparison it's not awful. They're certainly not the worst figures that's for sure.

I'm not sure what my vote for worst figure would actually be, maybe some of those odd S6 variants that contributed to the line nearly dying.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:55 am

To be fair, for those first daleks they were just working from photos. No measurements etc. from the BBC at all.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.