How would you save the 5" line?

Geeker_Things

Re: How would you save the 5" line?

Post by Geeker_Things » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:54 am

Okay to get back on track (once again) on how to save the DW 5" line and not politics (we honestly should just have that as its own topic at this point LOL), here is another Collector Set idea I have.

The Death to the Daleks Collector Set:
- The 3rd Doctor
- Bellal (New figure that is highly unlikely. As a substitute, a crew member could be recreated with Captain Jack Body)
- Death Dalek v1 (regular gun and clear dome lights; gun painted black is preferred)
- Death Dalek v2 (machine gun and orange dome lights)
Attachments
Death to the Daleks Collector Set 400x268.png
Death to the Daleks Collector Set 400x268.png (198.78 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

Neon Wolf

Post by Neon Wolf » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:30 am

Geeker_Things wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:54 am
Okay to get back on track (once again) on how to save the DW 5" line and not politics...
I wouldn't necessarily say that's derailing the conversation, more broadening it. The topic at hand is saving the 5" line and my posts deal more with the strength of the brand as a whole, which is directly linked to said topic. If your focus is on the 5" line alone then you're likely to miss the larger issues at play. I don't believe my comments were overtly political either however you have to acknowledge they exist in order evaluate their impact.

To be honest the truth is that there's nothing CO can do on it's own to reinvigorate interest in the brand, right now all CO can do is what they're already doing and that's repaints and repacks. With tooling being the biggest obstacle here we'd be lucky to get the new TARDIS and I'd be absolutely astounded if they go ahead with that companions three pack. Just think if that three pack goes ahead then that's three brand new sculpts and even if they are able to kit bash parts from existing figures they won't be able to save much.

With regard to the B&M packs they should re release some of the older classics in new packs to keep the originals value, kind of like a second printing of a comic book.

B&M Pack ideas
-Emperor Davros and Remembrance Dalek
-3rd Doctor and Sea Devil
-4th Doctor and Davros (Genesis)
-4th Doctor and Zygon
-5th Doctor and Davros
-5th Doctor and Sharaz Jek

The basic criteria for these sets has to be,
-No new tooling
-Repaints (To create variants)
-Small packs (To not take up too much shelf space)
-Strong iconography (Think Daleks)
-Avoid saturation (Not flooding the market with items)

BilliePiperFan

Post by BilliePiperFan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:12 am

How about... COMPANION ONLY SETS?! Yeah I know....
I don't have a signature. Sad reacts only.

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:09 am

Danoftardis wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 am
TheSparrow wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm
Danoftardis wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:22 am
I don't know how much money is required to fund the making of a new figure, but could CO perhaps operate a crowd funding like system for new releases? Have it run alongside the B&M model which allows them to squeeze some extra money out of repaints and rereleases, but have 1 or 2 new figures funded by people preordering ahead, sold via CO directly and then maybe a year or two late release it in a B&M pack, similar to what they did with Bill maybe.

Of course I don't know if just getting people to preorder a figure would provide enough funding to make it, but it's an idea. Other than that I'd go with what Skiffle suggests and target the collector market and try and bring in some of those big players, but I don't know how CO would entice them to pick up a range of figures.
Wasn't this done once with that He-Man thing, where people crowd funded a castle or something? I could be wrong. Probably am lmao.
That's interesting, I'd like to know if it worked out well or not. If it did perhaps my idea isn't as daft as I initially thought it was 8-)
i put a couple of links up around this before the reset, but a quick google shows this is happening quite a lot - most pertinently Big Chief with the 13th Doctor figure. Even companies like Hasbro are getting in on the act - https://www.hasbrolab.com

Although no official stats are available, it has been said by a few folk 'in the know' that the 3rd Doctor TARDIS set was limited to a few thousand. Let's say that there were 5,000. At a retail of £20.00 that means an overall retail of £100,000.

Retailers seem to buy in for about 50% of retail price, so if that was the case then CO would be getting £50,000 for the full order. Out of that £50k they must be making enough profit to make it worthwhile.

If those numbers stood up, then CO could crowd fund a TARDIS range at £20 + p&p and they'd make an extra £10 per unit compared to going through B&M. It would also open up sales to folk who don't live next to a B&M too.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:33 am

Bundesrat wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:09 am
If those numbers stood up, then CO could crowd fund a TARDIS range at £20 + p&p and they'd make an extra £10 per unit compared to going through B&M. It would also open up sales to folk who don't live next to a B&M too.
I like the sound of this very much, I shall keep dreaming that something like it will eventually happen.

BilliePiperFan

Post by BilliePiperFan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Jamie figure.

Tegan figure from Resurrection of the Daleks.

Bikini Peri figure from Planet of Fire.

More Rose and Donna figures from New Who.
I don't have a signature. Sad reacts only.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:08 pm

Question: Would you pledge $200 for a crowdfunded classic console room? Because I suspect it would cost at least that much to produce one.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:28 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:08 pm
Question: Would you pledge $200 for a crowdfunded classic console room? Because I suspect it would cost at least that much to produce one
To be honest no, but I've never really been interested in the console playsets, I have no room :lol: .

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:13 pm

I like tardi (the plural for tardis is tardi) but I don't have that kind o fmoney to spend on one thing. The most expensive thing I've ever bought for myself was a pair of boots and they were like £40. The most expensive thing I've asked anyone else to buy for me was a different pair of boots and they were £60. One tardis or 4 pairs of boots? You have to ask these questions.

TheSparrow

Post by TheSparrow » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:13 pm
I like tardi (the plural for tardis is tardi) but I don't have that kind o fmoney to spend on one thing. The most expensive thing I've ever bought for myself was a pair of boots and they were like £40. The most expensive thing I've asked anyone else to buy for me was a different pair of boots and they were £60. One tardis or 4 pairs of boots? You have to ask these questions.
I'd agree with this, but the most money I'd ever spent on anything was £395 on a guitar so I can't really complain about expensive things :lol:
I STILL DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE. I'VE GIVEN UP AT THIS POINT 👉😎👉