Doctor Who colourisations

DalekCheese

Doctor Who colourisations

Post by DalekCheese »

Title says it all, really...

Deborah J

Re: Doctor Who colourisations

Post by Deborah J »

Since that quick Nyssa I knocked up was the catalyst for you making this thread I'll reshare her again.

The base image is a little grainy which doesn't help with colourising pictures, the cleaner the source picture the better, preferably fairly low contrast which B&W pictures often aren't. The best one I've ever done is this:

The trick, I've found is never leave any actual grey. Even grey things are slightly blue or slightly brown, they reflect light from things around them, it adds a lot to a picture to give even the greys some colour depth.

I also did this, which isn't quite so good, but not bad.

Same thing again, though, never let those greys be grey.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

:shock: that pertwee! Amazing! Power’s good too. I’ve got a couple which I’ll look for now and post if I can find them. That Pertwee though... looks like an original colour shot!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Another pice of advice I'd give is not to use the same colour for the whole of a thing, especially skintones and hair, if the highlights are in a slightly different hue and saturation to the shadows it again adds a lot of depth and realism. A mainly orangey brown colour for the base skintone with pink added softly to areas gives a nice effect.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

I used to do colourisations a few years back, nothing as good as these of course. I'll have to look through my computer and see if any survive, I think I did most of them on my old computer so I doubt many made the journey across.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I joined a colourisation group on facebook recently, but since I don't want to bump into any of you lot over there I thought I'd share some of my recent work here for you, I did two more this past week and I'm really pleased with them both.

First off this shot from the Invasion:

painted that brickwork brick by brick, took ages, but it really paid off, a big block of one colour on brickwork always looks very annatural

Next, I was looking back at that shot of Nyssa I did a while back and I thought "I did a horrible job of that" so I decided to find a better copy of the original picture. But then I was just like "might as well do the whole picture" so that's what I did, including the end of the set, BBC studio camera and crewmember in the background. Really so happy with how this turned out, I tried a new trick and the colours ended up looking so much more natural.

Anyone else taken up picture colourising during the lockdown?

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

I’ve done a little, but not who-related. How do you do skin so well? It’s always a stumbling block for me.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

DalekCheese wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:31 pm
I’ve done a little, but not who-related. How do you do skin so well? It’s always a stumbling block for me.
It kind of depends on the colouring method, I use a layer set to "colour" and put on a very dark grey-brown, then layer in lighter browns in key areas, then have a seperate layer set to multiply where I put just the whitest pink, barely any red at all, onto a few key areas, around the mouth, rims of the eyes, a little on the nose. With my Mawdryn picture I came up with a new trick once I'd colourised it, I took the colourised image, set the value to zero and multiplied that back over the black and white image, which balanced out a lot of my slightly overcoloured areas without washing out the more subtle tones, and gave me a much more natural final look. I'm going to try that again with the next one I do, because I'm so happy with how it went. but the key with skintones, and with everything really but skintones epsecially, is to use variation in colour, all the same colour all over looks really artifical and the eye notices it more on faces because we're so well trained in looking at them.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Thanks Debs :)

Here are some I did a while ago:

https://www.deviantart.com/roytrommely261/gallery/

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

DalekCheese wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:04 pm
Thanks Debs :)

Here are some I did a while ago:

https://www.deviantart.com/roytrommely261/gallery/
there's some pretty great work there, wouldn't tale a lot of practice to really take some of those to the next level.