B&M doctor who sets.

The Outcast

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by The Outcast » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:09 am

The content of the sets will depend on my getting of them. There's likely a 5th Doctor TARDIS, so I'll get that, and possibly I'll get other TARDIS, but really depends. I think I'll end up with all the Dalek sets, cause DALEKS! I have no idea what figures will be in the three packs, probably a Classic Sontaran of some sort, but as said, it really depends on what's in them.

Avon

Post by Avon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:21 am

:lol: Very true. I'm no Tom fan at all yet I see myself suckered into buying it, plain and simply because all I have is the latest "Robot" version, which is more Pertwee to my eyes. So when the proper Tom Tardis comes along, I'll pass the Robot one to Troughton. I'm no expert but, while I realize it's got the wrong the door sign, the roof signs, box shape, and color are close enough, till we get an official one - if we do based on Al's comments, though he said no Daleks this year so who knows? Even if we do get a 2nd next year, I can just pass it to a spare Pertwee or a spare 7th Doctor to use as the one from the book Blood Heat onwards.

5th Doctor Tardis - as it's been hinted and hinted over and over, is almost a certainty to me and I can't wait! My most anticipated set, either hoping it's a hatted version for those that missed them or a battle damaged Androzani version.

I wonder if they could make Ace's jacket on a B&M budget, with all those paint apps? Didn't stretch far enough for a UNIT logo this year let alone anything else, maybe they'll just stick the jacketless arms on and call it a variant?

I'm just looking forward to seeing how creative they are this year, as such a high bar was set last year with the likes of Amy, the Brig and Talons Tom

SJF

Post by SJF » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:32 am

I didn’t actually get any of the sets last year. The twelfth Doctor Set was tempting but I ultimately decided that I already had three Missy’s and didn’t really like the new one, and I preferred the look of the amazon Bill.

I’ll almost definitely get the BF Eight Set this time, and everything else will probably depend on the content.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:45 am

I'll probably be a maniac and buy them all. I never got any of the ones from that year when they did the blue jacket Pertwee, so ever since i've tried to pick all the sets up so I don't have to buy off ebay later.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:09 am

Doctor What wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:45 am
I'll probably be a maniac and buy them all. I never got any of the ones from that year when they did the blue jacket Pertwee, so ever since i've tried to pick all the sets up so I don't have to buy off ebay later.
I passed up on the blue pertwee set too, and I've regretted it ever since. Nowadays that would have been an unconditional buy for me, a new variant of Jon and a new Jo, that's great, but to thenadays me I was like "well, I have two Jo Grants already, and that's the exact same Delgado master I have, I don't think I can really justify getting it just for a slightly different 3rd Doctor, even if he is me favourite.

2016 Deborah, you're me, but you're an idiot and I hate you.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:45 am

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:55 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:40 pm
Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:06 pm
Honestly the pods were a big part of why I didn't get the sontaran sets back in the day. I was a student back then, and didn't have the budget to just get everything, I had to be choosy, and only get some things, and I couldn't justify a set with two figures that was £10 more because it came with a big plastic football portaloo, especially since in my little student accomodation I really didn't have the room for said toilet cubicles. There was also the fact that the wrongly painted tom in the TSE set really bugged me, but even with that problem if the sets had been £25 each and had their balls removed I'd have gotten them both for sure. And now I have no classic sontarans and that is a shame.
Yeah I can get that. If I wasn’t such a completionist (at least I try to be, I have very little success) who knows if I would have gotten them both. The pods definitely take up a lot of needless space.

TW.
Yeah, completionism with the doctor who figures has never really been possible for me, way back when the range started I was 13 and had limited pocket money, which I had other things to buy with, so even though I always liked the figures I was only getting a few a year, then as a student I had a bit more money, but the figures were a lot more expensive by then, and I still had other things I needed to spend money on, so I missed out on a few sets I wanted then (remembrance 4 dalek set still stings, I came so close to getting one). So there's been so many figures I've missed out on over the years, which would be a real pain on the purse to try and get now, that I am kind of settled in to not getting everything. I do have enough put by these days that I can get every release, but in practice I only get the ones that appeal to me. Any I don't get the money I save will be welcome and useful, I've been replacing my wardrobe lately, and I could do with getting more clothes, I have 6 nice outfits, maybe stretched to 8 or 9 if I mix and match, that's pretty poor going. But I will absolutely spend all my clothes budget on toys if they're nice. But if I'm not fussed I won't feel bad for passing on them. The ship has sailed for me ever getting close to having everything, so I just have fun.
To be fair when the line started I was 9. I just basically didn’t spend my pocket money on anything else and always asked for figures for birthdays and Christmas. (Except for 2009, went for transformers then).
A lot of my collection I only really started to complete around 2012/13, when the 5” line was announced as ending people seemed to be getting rid of stuff really cheap, filled out a lot of gaps. But I’ve never been too great with money, eating at uni suffered a bit when the collectors series came out haha

TW.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:49 am

SJF wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:32 am
I didn’t actually get any of the sets last year. The twelfth Doctor Set was tempting but I ultimately decided that I already had three Missy’s and didn’t really like the new one, and I preferred the look of the amazon Bill.

I’ll almost definitely get the BF Eight Set this time, and everything else will probably depend on the content.
Took me until a couple months ago to buy the 3packs. Even though I didn’t have a bill figure, just didn’t interest me to get a 4th Missy. I still haven’t bothered with the 11th Doctor Set, despite kinda wanting the Amy figure. DW action figures just don’t really get me excited like they used to, and it doesn’t help that most of my collection is in storage. The only stuff I’ve bought day 1 in the last couple years has been the TARDISes and the 13th Doctor.

TW.

The Outcast

Post by The Outcast » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:50 am

I skipped all of last year's sets like SJF did. All the 11th Doctor set figures I had and wasn't really interested in that Amy variant, the 12th Doctor set was cool but I was ultimately put off by the fact the 12 figure has the clown feet and elected to get the Amazon Bill instead. The 70s set was nice looking, but really none of the figures fully appealed to me, I have an Auton, am not really interested much in Talons 4 and the Brig figure I've mixed thoughts on. The 3rd Doctor and TARDIS is set is just too expensive for me to pick up, and besides is heavily, heavily inaccurate. I want to pick up atleast one flat roofed box to stand in for a TARDIS exterior for Doctors 2-4, but other than that I'm only gonna pick up that 5th Doctor one, seeing as it'll be the most accurate one.

I have no idea when I'll be able to get these figures though, considering I'm in Australia. I might have to feed the scalpers...

Avon

Post by Avon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:37 pm

Update for anyone still tempted by last years sets, they're now down to £12 from £14 from, £17? I suspect they may even go lower (remember the reports of people buying the Zygon set for £4?), that is, if your lucky to have a B&M that still has them. Birmingham's B&M by Oasis market has about 5 of each set spaced out throughout their toy isle.

I finally got the Bill set today, £12 was too good, I used my one Missy figure for a custom, knowing she'd be in this set (plus it means II'm up to date with my Master's, in case of a surprise Ainley), Capaldi is in my preferred look for him, and I purposely didn't buy Amazon Bill thinking that, might as well spend that extra £2 (back when they were £17) and get two more figures I want

70's set was a must buy. The Brig is easily my favorite Dr Who figure in a long, long time, season 7's very special to me, as is the Brig, second Auton to flank the Master and Talons Tom has gone under the knife as he's excellent spare parts :lol: , his head is in the spares bin, cloak went to blue jacket Pertwee, the body will eventually lend itself to a Daemons Pertwee custom.

11th set looks decent, if it hits £7 or below I'll buy one. Hate Clara, Pond's an improvement but I'm not really fussed, 11's a bit, "there", he wouldn't replace my main one so he'd linger on my bookshelf.

That blue jacket Pertwee set is very special to me, I hadn't bought any Who figures since I'd been in hospital, so, maybe 4 or 5 years out of the loop. I happened to buy the Axos Brig on ebay, went to pay £25 for a loose Delgado, then saw some scumbag trying to get £60 for a "B&M three pack". So, the day after, checked my B&M and they had them in! And sold out in three hours. My first Jo, my second Pertwee, my first Delgado, that was like a dream 3 pack from my favorite era

SJF

Post by SJF » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:21 pm

I think the Blue Pertwee Set is actually the last B&M set that I bought.