A Companion Figure for the Eighth Doctor?

skifflebits

A Companion Figure for the Eighth Doctor?

Post by skifflebits » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:00 pm

The First, Second, Fifth (arguably), and Eighth Doctors still don't have companion figures. And while Bill, Pat and Peter's Doctors can draw from the TV series, old Dr. Paul is in an odd position. His only televised companions - Grace and Chang-Lee - are off the table because Universal owns half the rights to their characters.

So... Could it ever be possible for CO and B&M to hypothetically make a companion figure for him?

I could only see two possible routes.

1. Big Finish puts up the money for a special B&M set. Big possibilities -- though by no means a complete list -- here:
- Charley
- Lucie
- Molly

2. CO repaints an existing monster figure into one of the comic book companions. Possibilities here:
- Kroton the Cyberman
- Ssard the Ice Warrior

Of all of these, I could see Kroton as the simplest and most likely possibility. Repaint an "Invasion" Cyberman with the black face mask and the number on the chest and you're done. For hardcore fans it's a companion. For everyone else it's just a Cyberman variant.

The BF companions seem like more of a stretch since at minimum a new head sculpt is involved, which means more money into a figure with a limited fan base. The easiest would probably be converting the Primeval Abby / Bill body to make Lucy, but that's still a big investment.

But what do you think? Any other possibilities?
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

SJF

Re: A Companion Figure for the Eighth Doctor?

Post by SJF » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:29 pm

Surely Ssard is the simplest and most likely as he’d just be a straight up Rerelease of your average Ice Warrior.As you’ve mentioned, I think the only way around it without getting a new Headsculpt is if they did Ssard or Kroton. They could do one of the Comic companions which would take away the need for likeness rights from an actor, but would probably make it difficult to produce a decent figure for any character other than Destrii.

I’d want Liv and Helen personally, to go with the Doom Coalition Eight. Although one is already asking too much let alone two. Really they could make virtually any of the companions using pre-existing figures with a new head. The companions just wear whatever the actor wore to the recording, like Constance Clarke is from the 1940s, very prim and proper and is usually described as wearing period appropriate clothing. Then on the cover she’s wearing a pink blouse and jeans. So yeah, no need for accuracy.

For Liv: School Reunion Sarah Jane body, with the jacket painted navy blue and top painted light blue, and then the trousers in black and a new Nicola Walker Headsculpt.

For Helen: Abby Maitland body, with the t-shirt in light blue, trousers in dark blue, nails painted the same colour as her top and then a new Hattie Morahan Headsculpt.

Mastersclanger

Post by Mastersclanger » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:05 pm

I used a Britain toys Penguin as Frobisher the 6th Doctor's companion. :D

Avon

Post by Avon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:03 pm

I think as a newbie to BF, personally, I'd say if your going to make one, Charley is the one to make, as to me she is synonymous with 8. She was the first audio companion, I think?... the companion in the 50th anniversary audio, has been name dropped in comics and on TV and had a cameo in a recent Titan comic, and the Legacy game, so she's had most exposure. I know it makes zero sense timeline wise but if you put her with a green coat NotD McGann it'd sell on him alone, and nicely trojan horse her in.

Koth2

Post by Koth2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:02 pm

The Abbie Maitland body (series 2) would be good for Lucie. Jumpsuit Martha could be good for Liv. Helen is from the 60's soneeds something a bit classic imo.
Charlie would be good in SJ School Reunion body.

SJF

Post by SJF » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Koth2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:02 pm
The Abbie Maitland body (series 2) would be good for Lucie. Jumpsuit Martha could be good for Liv. Helen is from the 60's soneeds something a bit classic imo.
I’m not so sure Helen does, as she very much leaves her sixties life and values behind when she joins the Doctor and Liv. She even spends a year in an alien prison with The Eleven, you wouldn’t even realise she was from the sixties if you hadn’t heard The Red Lady.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Avon wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:03 pm
I think as a newbie to BF, personally, I'd say if your going to make one, Charley is the one to make, as to me she is synonymous with 8. She was the first audio companion, I think?... the companion in the 50th anniversary audio, has been name dropped in comics and on TV and had a cameo in a recent Titan comic, and the Legacy game, so she's had most exposure.
I agree. To me Charley is the most iconic BF companion for exactly those reasons.
I know it makes zero sense timeline wise but if you put her with a green coat NotD McGann it'd sell on him alone, and nicely trojan horse her in.
Well, in a way, it makes zero sense timeline wise that Doc 8 changed to the "Dark Eyes" leather jacket look and then back to an Edwardian swashbuckler, but eh... I can handle it? :)
Koth2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:02 pm
Funny thing is, since Charley was introduced in "Storm Warning," I always in my mind see her in period clothing.

SJF

Post by SJF » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm

Charley literally just wears anything. One minute she’ll be all dolled up in an Edwardian evening gown the next she’ll be dressed as a bloody power ranger.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:28 pm

SJF wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:23 pm
Charley literally just wears anything. One minute she’ll be all dolled up in an Edwardian evening gown the next she’ll be dressed as a bloody power ranger.
Ew. How did she get bloodied? And why didn't she clean the blood off?

Also: For some reason my mind read it as "Charley literally just wears nothing," which would explain why the character only ever appeared in audio dramas.

Koth2

Post by Koth2 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:49 am

I need the Power Ranger version. It has to be made!