The (In)Complete Encyclopedia of CO Doctor Who figures.

Gek2Win

The (In)Complete Encyclopedia of CO Doctor Who figures.

Post by Gek2Win » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Today I begin my momentous task of cataloguing every doctor who action figure character options have ever released. I'm sure you know all this already, but I'm too far gone now... I don't really have a plan for this, I'll just add to it as I go along.

Anyway, I thought I'd start with the doctors, as that seems logical. Speaking of logical, let's start with...

The First Doctor

First released in 2009 in his traditional costume he wore for most of his era, as a San Diego comic con exclusive. Was released as a two pack with the Dalek supreme from the Dalek invasion of earth. Came with a brown cane and was a completely new sculpt. Also released in black and white in the same format. Re-released in 2013 in the toys r us Dalek sets, but without the cane.

In 2010, was released in his outfit from an Unearthly child. This version came with a black repaint of the cane and a skull, which was a new sculpt. His head, coat and cloak were all also new sculpts and were not released anywhere other than this figure. He was released as a single carded figure and packaged with his TARDIS.

Also in 2010 the 11 doctors set was released. In this, the first doctor was depicted in his outfit from the three doctors, reusing the original sculpts. Notable changes include plain dark grey trousers and a different pattern on the waistcoat, along with a black tie. Came with a black cane.

Finally, in 2016 canme the 13 Doctors set, which came with the first doctor as seen in the Web Planet. While the authenticity of this costume is in question, the figure had a different pattern on the waistcoat, which was orange, red trousers, and a white tie with black stripes. This version had no accessories.

The short version:

5 variants;
Original - two releases - 2009 and 2013
Original B&W - one release - 2009
An Unearthly child - two releases - 2010
Three doctors - one release - 2010
Web Planet - one release - 2016

And there we have it. What do you think for the format? I'll definitely do each of the doctors, although Tennant will be a nightmare, and I'll see where we go from there. If I miss anything, or get anything wrong, feel free to mention it. In the event of a forum reset, all of the information is also stored externally, so these resources will remain available. Thanks for your feedback!

DalekCheese

Re: The (In)Complete Encyclopedia of CO Doctor Who figures.

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Gek2Win wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:57 pm
Today I begin my momentous task of cataloguing every doctor who action figure character options have ever released. I'm sure you know all this already, but I'm too far gone now... I don't really have a plan for this, I'll just add to it as I go along.

Anyway, I thought I'd start with the doctors, as that seems logical. Speaking of logical, let's start with...

The First Doctor

First released in 2009 in his traditional costume he wore for most of his era, as a San Diego comic con exclusive. Was released as a two pack with the Dalek supreme from the Dalek invasion of earth. Came with a brown cane and was a completely new sculpt. Also released in black and white in the same format. Re-released in 2013 in the toys r us Dalek sets, but without the cane.

In 2010, was released in his outfit from an Unearthly child. This version came with a black repaint of the cane and a skull, which was a new sculpt. His head, coat and cloak were all also new sculpts and were not released anywhere other than this figure. He was released as a single carded figure and packaged with his TARDIS.

Also in 2010 the 11 doctors set was released. In this, the first doctor was depicted in his outfit from the three doctors, reusing the original sculpts. Notable changes include plain dark grey trousers and a different pattern on the waistcoat, along with a black tie. Came with a black cane.

Finally, in 2016 canme the 13 Doctors set, which came with the first doctor as seen in the Web Planet. While the authenticity of this costume is in question, the figure had a different pattern on the waistcoat, which was orange, red trousers, and a white tie with black stripes. This version had no accessories.

The short version:

5 variants;
Original - two releases - 2009 and 2013
Original B&W - one release - 2009
An Unearthly child - two releases - 2010
Three doctors - one release - 2010
Web Planet - one release - 2016

And there we have it. What do you think for the format? I'll definitely do each of the doctors, although Tennant will be a nightmare, and I'll see where we go from there. If I miss anything, or get anything wrong, feel free to mention it. In the event of a forum reset, all of the information is also stored externally, so these resources will remain available. Thanks for your feedback!
Me likey. And I promise not to 3-amigo this one.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:24 pm

Get the others to too.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:49 pm

Gek2Win wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:24 pm
Get the others to too.
Yeah, don’t worry, there’s something, I think resembling a code of honour :lol:, although that’s the wrong word really.... but yea, we won’t mess up this one.

The rest of the forum, though....
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:05 pm

I like this idea :D

I would suggest a little change to the format, have it go something like this:

The First Doctor

The First Doctor and Dalek Saucer Commander (SDCC/FP):
Year: 2009
(description of figure)

The First Doctor and Dalek Saucer Commander (B&W) (SDCC/FP):
Year: 2009
(description of figure)

The Eleven Doctors set:
Year: 2010
(description of figure)

The First Doctor and Supreme Dalek (TRU):
Year: 2013
(description of figure)

Basically clearly state for each figure which set it was in, what year, if it was exclusive to anywhere, with clear titles etc. I'd also put re-releases as their own items and just mention that it's a re-release in the description, rather than mentioning it with the original release, as this could be confusing. Figures are also rarely exact re-releases, most of the time the faces are detailed differently or some paints are different shades or finishes, and accessories vary.

If you wanted others to contribute (for example one person could list all the Cybermen figures or Master figures or something) then let me know as i'd be happy to help :D

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:36 pm

That's a great idea. I'll get onto remaking the first doctor and doing the second doctor, and how about you start doing the masters. Remember, chronological order. Start with the first canonical version, and then year of release if each variant of that version. For example, you'd do the day supreme before the genesis Dalek, despite the genesis Dalek being released before.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Yeah this is a neat idea gek, I look forward to future entries.

Avon

Post by Avon » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Definitely! Looking forward to more of this! Will you be doing TARDII, as well?

Bundesrat

Post by Bundesrat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:22 pm

This is quite a good resource - at least for the early years; https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Character_Options

Also https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigur ... ist&id=741

Who'd have thought there were 4 different releases of Cassandra!!

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:45 am

Avon wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:02 pm
Definitely! Looking forward to more of this! Will you be doing TARDII, as well?
That seems a reasonable one, but we'll see for the future.