Best way to make/buy TARDIS interior walls?

skifflebits

Best way to make/buy TARDIS interior walls?

Post by skifflebits » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Been wanting to work up some (classic) TARDIS interior walls for a while now, but have no idea how to approach it.

3D printing is obviously an expensive option.

I'm worried my hand isn't steady enough to custom cut some myself, even if using some kind of circular cutting tool.

Has anyone undertaken this task and care to offer some advice?
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Doctor What

Re: Best way to make/buy TARDIS interior walls?

Post by Doctor What » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:05 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:01 pm
Been wanting to work up some (classic) TARDIS interior walls for a while now, but have no idea how to approach it.

3D printing is obviously an expensive option.

I'm worried my hand isn't steady enough to custom cut some myself, even if using some kind of circular cutting tool.

Has anyone undertaken this task and care to offer some advice?
Around last year I attempted the circular cutting tool option on MDF with a drill press and a small cutting tool from Amazon. The holes do cut but it wasn't the smoothest thing i'd cut as I recall. Getting the holes in the exact right places was also difficult, and because there's so many you're buggered if you mess one up.

I think the best option is 3D printing but as you say that can be expensive. Since the OG classic walls would need to be fairly thick i'm not sure how viable laser cutting would be, it may work better on the thinner 80s walls. But again there's the potential expense of laser cutting.

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:50 pm

I'm going to be attempting the MDF strategy myself. I plan mostly to make geometric shapes, then smooth them out afterwards. Planning is the key, as I'll map it all out first then do it. I know it will be hard, but I think it's reasonable. If I am allowed to do this, but if I'm not I can remove it, but here's a link to and eBay seller who has precut walls. It's not cheap, and there are some issues, but it might suit you.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3159349779

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 pm

Might I suggest ordering 1 normal wall and making a mould? Easy to do with Lego and plasticine.
Al Dewar, if you are reading this, please give me a job/ all variants of all figures you have ever produced (delete as applicable).

Despite occasional claims to the contrary, the blessed St. Verity Lambert is not recognised by any major church.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:48 pm

I once made a classic style tardis console room out of cardboard as a teenager, I think the roundels were a second piece of white card baobab stuck on topof a piece I painted silver, and tge white layer had holes cut out of it, don't remember how I cut it because I think it looked quite good but Im super index trout

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:40 pm

I was thinking about getting one of those laser cutters now that they've come down in price... but they haven't come down enough to justify getting one for this one project.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Gek2Win wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:50 pm
...here's a link to and eBay seller who has precut walls. It's not cheap, and there are some issues, but it might suit you.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3159349779
Not cheap, but cheaper than I expected. I think the last guy I saw with an auction for TARDIS walls wanted close to $200. I may well scrape up the cash for this.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:09 am

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:40 pm
I was thinking about getting one of those laser cutters now that they've come down in price... but they haven't come down enough to justify getting one for this one project.
You could use it for other things too, I guess, spread the cost a little

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:09 am
skifflebits wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:40 pm
You could use it for other things too, I guess, spread the cost a little
you could make and sell kits to make tardis walls and consoles etc on them among other stuff!!

the things i could make with a laser cutter :D
Former HUU Doctor Who Society President. All Round Who Boffin.
Co-founder Vault Cosplays - https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

3DPrintingDoctorWho

Post by 3DPrintingDoctorWho » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 am

I'm pretty sure a 3D printer is going to be almost universally cheaper than a laser cutter.

If you make one wall out of something (have it 3D printed or make it yourself out of material that won't sag or dissolve in liquid, you could use it to create a silicon mould, that could then be used to create multiple walls out of resin or something similar.