Doctor Who: The Collection Blu-ray Box Sets

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
Doctor What

Doctor Who: The Collection Blu-ray Box Sets

Post by Doctor What » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:07 pm

Don't think we have a general thread for this, so discuss The Collection Blu-rays here :D

Season 26 should be out in December (hopefully there won't be delays again) and it's been revealed today that Season 12 will be getting a re-release for those who missed out, so if you want it keep an eye out for that because I don't anticipate it hanging around for long!

ANewWatchBegins

Re: Doctor Who: The Collection Blu-ray Box Sets

Post by ANewWatchBegins » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:18 pm

The Season 12 re-release has come at the perfect time. I got the bonus disc in DWM and a couple of other things have made me really gutted that I hadn't been collecting these. I was wondering if I should start or not if I'd never complete my collection but if they're doing re-releases then that's definitely convinced me to start getting these gorgeous boxsets!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:48 pm

They're pretty fabulous. The US is about six months behind on all of them, so I just got Season 10. The restoration work is fabulous, and the extras are pretty damn good, too. I'm looking forward to getting Season 23 just so I can watch the standalone "Vervoids."
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:27 pm

Really wish I’d gotten season 19

I’ve only got season 10, I think I’m just gonna collect all of Pertwee’s stuff, but a whole set would be nice

TW.

ANewWatchBegins

Post by ANewWatchBegins » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 pm

Picked up Season 23 today.. It's absolutely stunning just to hold. The graphic design and love put into it is amazing. Cannot wait to get a chance to sit down and watch it, the special features all look so fab. I've managed to find Season 10 still available on the Radio Times Shop, and very surprisingly Season 19 still in stock at HMV, so I've ordered those and can't wait for them to arrive. Hopefully 26 for Christmas and we'll see what happens with the Season 12 rerelease. Just Season 18 to find..

Tharileptil

Post by Tharileptil » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:24 am

skifflebits wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:48 pm
They're pretty fabulous. The US is about six months behind on all of them, so I just got Season 10. The restoration work is fabulous, and the extras are pretty damn good, too. I'm looking forward to getting Season 23 just so I can watch the standalone "Vervoids."
My TV and player are standard US models and have no modifications, but they happen to accept 50i Blu-Rays (although the player won't do PAL DVDs).

Since the sets are region-free, I've ordered all of them from Amazon UK with the exception of Season 12. The S23 set cost me £32 with £3.25 shipping, about $47 at the current exchange rate. Just about the price of the US discs, and such nice packaging! And I generally don't care about packaging.

The 50i-to-60i conversion on my S12 set is flawless to my very picky eyes, but the BBC America ads they insert are very annoying. None of that on the UK sets.

I'd recommend trying out a UK set - if your TV or player won't cooperate, at the very worst you could sell it on eBay and get your money back, and maybe a bit more.

Tharileptil

Post by Tharileptil » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:40 am

On the subject of extras, I can't be the only one who thought of this:

Janet always cracks me up, she's so irreverant.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:59 pm

The only reason I've avoided ordering the sets directly from the UK is that they tend to have errors of one kind of another that are (mostly) corrected for the US release.

I haven't heard of anything wrong with the S23 set, so I just might consider it.
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:35 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:59 pm
The only reason I've avoided ordering the sets directly from the UK is that they tend to have errors of one kind of another that are (mostly) corrected for the US release.

I haven't heard of anything wrong with the S23 set, so I just might consider it.
The disc art and box presentation on the uk sets is aot nice. If you mix and match between the two they'll not look great together.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:41 pm

skifflebits wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Wasn’t it just season 12 that had issues? My season 10 is fine

TW.