The Series 12 SPOILER-FREE discussion

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
skifflebits

The Series 12 SPOILER-FREE discussion

Post by skifflebits »

Just because I haven't seen "Prisoner of the Judoon" yet...

I know [SPOILER PERSON]* is coming back. And I know there's big revelations that reveal something big about the Doctor's history.

My question is... How annoyed am I likely to be by these revelations? Is it a full-fledged nuclear bomb in continuity, or is it more "Brain of Morbius?" that maybe changes the past but doesn't invalidate what we've seen in the series already.
None of Doctor Who is canon.

Valeyard

Re: The Series 12 SPOILER-FREE discussion

Post by Valeyard »

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:40 pm
Just because I haven't seen "Prisoner of the Judoon" yet...

I know [SPOILER PERSON]* is coming back. And I know there's big revelations that reveal something big about the Doctor's history.

My question is... How annoyed am I likely to be by these revelations? Is it a full-fledged nuclear bomb in continuity, or is it more "Brain of Morbius?" that maybe changes the past but doesn't invalidate what we've seen in the series already.
The problem with the revelation in the episode is that we don't know if it's all true until we get to the finale or an episode that brings that arc to a close. Go in with an open mind and consider that there's every possibility it may be legit, but they may also reveal it to be a lie and part of some big elaborate scheme because yes, if everything that was said about it in the episode is indeed true and they stick with it as canon, it's a full fledged nuclear bomb in continuity.
'Bring back the Vervoids you cowards.'

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

At this point we don’t know. It could go either way. EITHER it fucksnup continuity to the point that it makes you feel sick OR it’s all ok.
AI is here!!

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

OK, so it has the *potential* to make me sick.

I'll just keep an open mind then, shall I?

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Prolly best.
AI is here!!

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:07 pm

It’s one of those things that you’ll have to wait for the answers to before getting annoyed, but if it goes the way it looks like it’s going, it’s like the Doctor being half human in the TV Movie except you can’t ignore it.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Of course, everyone did ignore the Doctor being half-human in the TV movie... :)

SJF

Post by SJF »

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:21 pm
Of course, everyone did ignore the Doctor being half-human in the TV movie... :)
Yes, but that’s the point. This could be something of a similar degree, but you won’t be able to just ignore it because it’s not just a throwaway line.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Is it though?

It's either gonna be an annoyingly vanilla obvious twist like Series 6 had, or introduce some clever stuff that people on here have pointed out is entirely possible.

Crucially, we've gotten clues that allude it might be the latter: Clearly, things like "Logopolis" still happened and this season confirmed it, for example.

I'm being optimistic, because honestly part of me feels the show is desperate for attention and when that happens things like this NEVER get the execution that would make it work.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:02 pm
Is it though?

It's either gonna be an annoyingly vanilla obvious twist like Series 6 had, or introduce some clever stuff that people on here have pointed out is entirely possible.

Crucially, we've gotten clues that allude it might be the latter: Clearly, things like "Logopolis" still happened and this season confirmed it, for example.

I'm being optimistic, because honestly part of me feels the show is desperate for attention and when that happens things like this NEVER get the execution that would make it work.
Don’t be optimistic. You’ll only end up disappointed.

Which is why I’m assuming it is what it appears to be, and what the leaked rumour said it was, so at least when we find out I won’t be surprised and annoyed because I’ll have known it was coming for a while, or I’ll be pleasantly surprised that it went a different direction.