Daleks vs. Starfleet question

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*
DukeNukem 2417

Daleks vs. Starfleet question

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

For anyone familiar with the Star Trek universe, how effective would the ordnance on Dalek ships be against Federation starships? As in, could several sustained blasts from a Dalek ship be enough to completely drain a Galaxy-class ship's shields, etc., and destroy it in...I dunno, seconds?

Yes, there's a reason I'm asking this particular question.
Through the darkness of future past
the magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds
Fire....walk with me.

Gek2Win

Re: Daleks vs. Starfleet question

Post by Gek2Win »

I feel like it's because of an argument. Other than that, I have little to add to the conversation. I'm unfamiliar with the specifications on either craft; and it's difficult when there's little equivalencies between the universes. I know there was a crossover comic; I think it was called Assimilation^3.

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Truth is, Dalek tech has never been nailed down in the series. Star Trek is big on "hard science" and technical explanations behind every last gizmo, but the Daleks have remained completely vague, usually for story reasons. They're kind of generic "they destroy everything in their path!" type aliens, without a lot of detail explained. And since in-universe their reign seems have a lasted for hundreds if not thousands of years, who's to say how their tech evolved over time?

Honestly, it's a bit like asking if Batman could beat the aliens from "War of the Worlds." We don't really know enough for a solid answer.
None of Doctor Who is canon.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Depends entirely on when in the dalek’s history this occurs. Do they have a reality bomb? A DARDIS? Or are they The Mutants-level?

If they are anywhere beyond The Mutants (or, perhaps, Invasion), then the Federation is completely and utterly screwed. If the Daleks are still either confined to Skaro, or constrained by numbers, then the Federation has a chance- it can phaser the City from orbit if it has the guts to do so, or conduct a war of attrition.

After that, however, the Daleks have at least primitive time-travel (and without having to slingshot the sun, too). Or they have the reality bomb/similar super weapons. They have the fleet size to bulldoze their way to Earth and nuke it to pieces, along with a couple of other planets they noticed along the way.

Also, the Daleks (after a very early point in their history) can clone literally trillions of themselves, and they don’t have to waste time training them.

Basically, the Federation just got 360 noscoped.
RIP TW :(

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

DalekCheese wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:23 pm
Depends entirely on when in the dalek’s history this occurs. Do they have a reality bomb? A DARDIS? Or are they The Mutants-level?

If they are anywhere beyond The Mutants (or, perhaps, Invasion), then the Federation is completely and utterly screwed. If the Daleks are still either confined to Skaro, or constrained by numbers, then the Federation has a chance- it can phaser the City from orbit if it has the guts to do so, or conduct a war of attrition.

After that, however, the Daleks have at least primitive time-travel (and without having to slingshot the sun, too). Or they have the reality bomb/similar super weapons. They have the fleet size to bulldoze their way to Earth and nuke it to pieces, along with a couple of other planets they noticed along the way.

Also, the Daleks (after a very early point in their history) can clone literally trillions of themselves, and they don’t have to waste time training them.

Minimum: the Daleks have saucers, space travel and transmat capabilities to beam aboard ships/down to planets.
Gek2Win wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:58 pm
I feel like it's because of an argument. Other than that, I have little to add to the conversation. I'm unfamiliar with the specifications on either craft; and it's difficult when there's little equivalencies between the universes. I know there was a crossover comic; I think it was called Assimilation^3.
That one dealt with the Federation battling the Cybermen. The Daleks were probably at least mentioned, but they weren't a major factor.
Fire....walk with me.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

DukeNukem 2417 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:13 pm
DalekCheese wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Minimum: the Daleks have saucers, space travel and transmat capabilities to beam aboard ships/down to planets.
‘K the Federation’s dead now.

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

DalekCheese wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:16 pm
DukeNukem 2417 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:13 pm
‘K the Federation’s dead now.
XD Anything that'd help the Federation stay alive for....say, 20 stories' worth of material would be helpful. (Stay tuned to the Fan Fiction area over the coming days/weeks ;) ) And yes, the Federation gets the aid of a Doctor (probably not the one you're expecting), so....
Fire....walk with me.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

Well, if the Daleks were relatively early on in their history, the Federation could probably enforce some kind of blockade on Skaro and conduct a war of attrition on the remaining outposts?

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

Yeah, it depends on the era. Honestly, even "Dalek Invasion of Earth" Era Daleks would probably have to put up a serious fight to beat the Feds.

Once the Daleks get time travel, it's pretty much over, obviously.
None of Doctor Who is canon.

DukeNukem 2417

Post by DukeNukem 2417 »

skifflebits wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:41 pm
Yeah, it depends on the era. Honestly, even "Dalek Invasion of Earth" Era Daleks would probably have to put up a serious fight to beat the Feds.

Once the Daleks get time travel, it's pretty much over, obviously.
They wouldn't have time travel in this case. Just space travel. They follow the Doctor through a fissure in time, space and reality to this point in time where they come into contact with Starfleet.
Fire....walk with me.