Debbie Does Dalek: but this time Deborah actually does the dalek

Deborah J

Re: Debbie Does Dalek: but this time Deborah actually does the dalek

Post by Deborah J »

Chapter 9: Sprays and Delays

I'm sure you've all been on the edge of your collective seats these past 2 and a half weeks wondering what on earth of going on with my dalek. Well, quite honestly, so am I.

the day after I posted the last update I took the head and hemispheres outside and sprayed them. That's the first update. I didn't take any pictures of them outside, but here is a picture of the hemispheres in a box:

I also ordered in some red LEDs to use for the dome lights. WHat I didn't realise, however, was that there are two types of LEDs, clear lens and diffuse lens. I bought the former and realised only when they arrived that they were only red when lit up. the rest of the time they are colourless. Since I had no plans to have them light up, indeed no way to go about doing this, I had the option of either recolouring them, by glass paint or similar, or just buying some more with a diffuse lens. It was cheaper to just rebuy, so that's exactly what I did. in these next pictures we see the dalek with its completely blue dome, with red LEDs just slotted in for effect, to give a sense of how they'd look when permanantly stuck on.

Already at this point I was running into a few difficulties. I chose to spray the inner end of the eyestalk blue along with the dome, since the ring it pivots on is supposed to be the same colour as the head. Unfortunately the thickness of the paint on that combined with the thickness of the paint on the edges of the slot it feeds through meant that it was unable to turn without scraping its paint back off. I should have left it untouched long enough to be hard enough to withstand this, but I'm a clutz so of course I didn't, and ultimately completely wrecked the paint on both the ring and the slot, with the amount of metalic blue spray starting to run out. I hastily made adjustments to the slot, widening it, and stripping off the thick paint that was layering on the ring, an action that left a load of fingerprints etched into the still soft paintwork of the dome... a bit of a disaster, I had enough to respray it back to looking ok again and then I ran out. And of course proceeded to rub some the paint right back off the eye ring again almost immediately.

To worsen an already bad situation, the rebuilding of the eye axel housing went horribly, the brackets that I removed would not go back in, and chose instead to fall to bits. my original plan was to stick them back on and reinforce them with leftover styrene strips from the neck bin rods, but instead I had to make new brackets from the rods and goodness me were they unwilling to stick on. I had to use so much glue, and they constantly tried to slide off their position when I sat them in, or I'd place them more precisely with tweezers and they'd just stick to the tweezers. I nearly glued the eyestalk into a fixed position with all the glue that was going around and not only did it further spoil what paint was left on the eye ring but it also managed to get onto the outside of the dome at the back of the head and to the side of the eye slot. So not my finest hour there. The new bracket also doesn't work very well, it's a little too high, so the eye is kind of loose in there. I don't really know if I can do much about that though. I also glued the LEDs in at this point, which was the source of some of the errant glue, no doubt.

So, having kronked up the paintwork of the dome with no paint to respray it with, I decided to move my sights to ruining other things. I set about masking off all the silver areas around the shoulder bands and over 3 days I painted the bands gold. Then on day 4 I removed the tape to find... that the gold had somehow seeped in under the tape. I don't understand how, but it was a real mess. I got most of the bleed cleaned up, but one particularly messy bit tight at the front between the armboxes took so much shifting that it took the silver underneath with it. RIght through the paintwork. With no silver spray left to clean it up. Whoops. I also painted the neckbins black around this time, about the only thing this past fortnight that didn't end in disaster.

Can you see that bit where the paint is rubbed through? Can you? Haunting. Tragic. I'm super upset about it.

And that is where you rejoin me, my current position. Most of these things happened like a week and a bit ago. I also re-enforced the bit where the head connects to the neck, I don't have any photos of that, and it's not exciting enough to warrant a paragraph, I might stick a pic in in the next instalment maybe. But everything is currently on hold, because one of my little tins of paint has gone astray in the post. I ordered 6 pots of paint on the 31st of march, 5 came within the week, the 6th did not. the missing one was from the same seller as 4 of the tins I did get, so I assume it was just left out in error. I've been in touch with the seller several times over the past 7 weeks, they've assured me three times it would be sent on to me, but as yet I don't have it. and it's the silver one. My plan after wrecking the silver paint was to try and patch it up with the brush-on paint, since another can of spray paint would bump an extra £10 onto my budget. But I don't know for certain that that would work, and if not I'd need to respray it. So I can't stick the rest of it together until that's sorted out, because it would be infinitely harder to respray it if it had bumps and neckrings and all that going on. And tbh, if I'm buying another can of spray I'm giving the whole thing a full and thick recoat, I'm not spending £10 to give it a light spritz in one place then call it a day. I also wanted to give the arm and gun a further coat with the silver brush on paint, that can't be done, and I need the silver for the rod of the eyestalk, which is the next part of the eye needing done. There's nothing I can do until my silver paint turns up.

Well, almost nothing, I did find a pot of metalic blue humbrol in the house, a little darker than the spray I used on the head, but not by much, today and yesterday I gave a light touching up to the eye ring and the underside lip of the head dome, so at least those look a little more presentable now. Although I noticed that areas that were through to the red plastic showed darker through the light coating of paint, so that suggests a brush-over cover up on the rubbed off part would not work properly. I decided this evening that I probably will just bite the bullet and get that extra can of silver. It'll probably do the dalek some good to have another coat, the blue coats have a much nicer finish where I haven't spoiled it, much smoother and glossier where I've been able to use a whole 100ml can on a smaller area.

Here is my dalek roughly assembled for now, hope you don't mind the long wait and giant wall of text update. I'm less inclined to take pics when it's going badly, hence the lack of pictures for the second half.

DalekCheese

Post by DalekCheese »

He’s looking good. Somewhat late- and a Sevans dalek- but I feel that this might give a few useful tips.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... -finished/
Long thread, though.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

DalekCheese wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:01 pm
He’s looking good. Somewhat late- and a Sevans dalek- but I feel that this might give a few useful tips.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... -finished/
Long thread, though.
that's pretty interesting, the construction of that model is very very different to the comet one. Probably a bit easier on the whole to do from the look of it.

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

Honestly, I think it's looking great. Maybe it's more obvious in the flesh (plastic?) than in these pics, but if you hadn't pointed out that the paint had rubbed through I probably wouldn't have noticed. I am slightly disappointed that you didn't spell out "Debbie" with the hemis though. ;)

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Fincon1 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm
Honestly, I think it's looking great. Maybe it's more obvious in the flesh (plastic?) than in these pics, but if you hadn't pointed out that the paint had rubbed through I probably wouldn't have noticed. I am slightly disappointed that you didn't spell out "Debbie" with the hemis though. ;)
It doesn't show up so bad on camera, but it is bad enough to bother mem so I will have to fix it. It would be a shame to go to as much work as I've done so far and leave a big patch of paint rubbed off on the front like that. But he's definitely coming along well, the colours I picked have all turned out to be pretty good matches, all the joins on the skirt ar nice and robust, that's supposedly a very hard thing to keep together, aside from a few issues with panels not quite stuck in the right position, none of it is threatening to come unstuck. Once I've got the paintwork issues sorted and stuck the last few bits on he's going to look lovely, hopefully.

Also, ask and you shall recieve xx

Fincon1

Post by Fincon1 »

Yay!

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

The whole hemisphere 'Debbie' reminds of those big movie/theatre light signs you get, y'know with the massive light bulbs? It'd be like a 'Debbie' show touring all theatres across the nation with TCoS providing the musical scores.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

It's really hard to write with dots like that, especially when the word is fairly long and has a lot of half-round letters and you have a limited number of dots.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

Deborah J wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:08 am
It's really hard to write with dots like that, especially when the word is fairly long and has a lot of half-round letters and you have a limited number of dots.
I mean you did a good job, it clearly spells out 'Debbie'.

Incidentally I once spelled out my name on the floor using price stickers from one of those pricing guns during work experience. It was the highlight of the two weeks.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

Danoftardis wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:39 am
Deborah J wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:08 am
I mean you did a good job, it clearly spells out 'Debbie'.

Incidentally I once spelled out my name on the floor using price stickers from one of those pricing guns during work experience. It was the highlight of the two weeks.
My school only gave us one week of work experience... It was more than enough.