Printable Emperor Dalek

Who?

Printable Emperor Dalek

Post by Who? »

Hi everyone! Yesterday I finished work on my latest project,
a printable Dalek emperor from Evil of the Daleks. It's taken quite a while to make, I made a 'prototype' version with hand drawn templates and then drew out some final templates, scanned them in and then touched them up and added colour using GIMP.
Strictly speaking he's slightly too tall, but only by a centimeter or two so he looks fine. :D
I'll post the printable templates once I'm on my laptop later, just in case anyone else wants to have a go at making it.
I think I'll have a go at making a throne room for him next, and then after that I was thinking of trying a quark or a clockwork soldier from the Mind Robber... Does anyone else have any ideas for figures that may work as a printable?
Don't make me do the old soft shoe shuffle...

Who?

Re: Printable Emperor Dalek

Post by Who? »

Here are the templates:
The skirt:
The back two panels of the skirt, the skirt's top and bottom and the skirt rim:
The neck:
The neck slats:
The dome and eye-stalk:

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

Great work!!

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

This is awesome, if this was on AFT back in the day I imagine this would have been in everyone's figure adventures.

Who?

Post by Who? »

Whovastron wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:19 am
Great work!!
Thank you very much!

Who?

Post by Who? »

Doctor What wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:22 am
This is awesome, if this was on AFT back in the day I imagine this would have been in everyone's figure adventures.
I do love a bit of AFT... That is a compliment indeed, thank you! :D

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

This is great. A definite make for me. I tried to do this myself previously, but I found working with the various angles difficult. If I may ask, what was your design process? Did you work from images, and how did you do scaling?

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J »

I know it's not what this thread is about, but those two big tomb cybermen models in the background are super nice

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Deborah J wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:09 am
I know it's not what this thread is about, but those two big tomb cybermen models in the background are super nice
Yeah, props to those and the autographs. :)

BOT, having an Emperor Dalek to flank all the 60's Daleks around = goals, and that one is pretty great. Scale looks fine to me!

Who?

Post by Who? »

Gek2Win wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:26 am
This is great. A definite make for me. I tried to do this myself previously, but I found working with the various angles difficult. If I may ask, what was your design process? Did you work from images, and how did you do scaling?
Thank you, if you decide to have a go I'd love to see the result! :D
For the designing, I started by using a picture I found of a Dalek with the Emperor, measured the height of the Dalek and the Emperor's skirt and calculated a scale factor. I used this factor to calculate the height of the model's skirt from the height of a Dalek figure. The diameter of the skirt was just measured roughly by eye. I drew out a 'prototype' skirt by hand and made it, then found a cone generator online (on blocklayer.com) and used this to make the ring at the top of the skirt. I then drew out the 'prototype' templates for the neck section and it's slats, using the skirt for scaling from the picture. The dome was quite tricky to work out, it basically involved splitting the height and diameter (for each dome section) of the dome (measured from a picture of an Eaglemoss Emperor) into 2 sections (since it has a sort of double dome effect) and then splitting these into several pieces of equal heights and decreasing lengths. I split the circumference into 12 pieces and drew a segment for each on MS Word (there are probably better things to use, but it worked for me! :lol: ) I then hand-drew a 'prototype' eye stalk and fitted it. Once the 'prototype' was fully made (I've included a picture, although it is falling apart a bit now :lol: ) I drew some final templates (some by hand, most on the computer), and assembled them into the templates above!
So yes I did work from images, and this was how I did the scaling for the skirt. The rest of it is scaled based on the skirt.
Sorry the answer was so long! :D