Series 11 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

Deborah J

Re: Series 11 Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Postby Deborah J » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:39 am

I havent seen the new trailer yet, Im kind of on limited internet rn, but no-one Ive heard from has liked the new trailer. All I really know is that theres modern music and apparently jodie literally breaks a glass ceiling? I dont think I can really form an opinion on that until I see it, which wont be until tomorrow night

Bill

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Ben C. wrote:Yea. This is the first bit of promotional material I didn't feel positive or neutral about, but actually didn't like.
Doctor Who is a fantasy / sci-fi adventure show. This promo didn't indicate any of that. Rather it just expressed to the viewer:

1) Glass ceiling shattered... GET IT?
2) "It's about time"... yes, double entendre, but GET IT?
3) Pop music to appeal to a younger audience.

And that's it. No exposition about adventure, travel, friendship, story, history, etc. Just, "Look, a blonde woman is here and may have accidentally caused the breaking of some beautiful stained glass architecture... and listen to that banging song!". I'm not entirely sure who this is supposed to appeal to - to the fanbase, it's a nothing bit of material - content free. There's nothing exciting or new to discuss. For newcomers it's also a nothing bit of material; if you didn't watch Doctor Who at all and saw this, it tells you nothing you haven't seen online or in print about Jodie being cast, and nothing about what the show is about or things to expect.

So, while ever the optimist, I now worry a bit that the show is going to be a lot of, "hey, GET IT?" moments. I honestly thought they would rely and focus on story and character, and in the process, make poignant statements about diversity and subverting stereotypes without interjecting it ham-handedly. The Expanse is amazing at this, for instance. But this promo... yeesh. Fingers crossed that this was just a one-off bad idea that slipped through the marketing department.

Couldn't disagree more with this.

The marketing for the series is just beginning - so naturally, all we'll be getting at the moment is brief teasers before a full trailer (possibly a couple of weeks beforehand). The clip does its job perfectly for whenever it might be slotted in on BBC One. The casual viewer will be very aware of the incoming 'first female Doctor', so why not capitalise on that? Yeah it's a gimmick, but it's certainly not offensive.

I also doubt the show is going to be a series of 'get it?' moments too. Chibnall's clearly stated that the gender issue is going to be pretty much bypassed, and given his work on shows such as Broadchurch, Torchwood, etc. you can very much expect this will focus on story and character.

Ben C.

Postby Ben C. » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Bill wrote:I also doubt the show is going to be a series of 'get it?' moments too. Chibnall's clearly stated that the gender issue is going to be pretty much bypassed, and given his work on shows such as Broadchurch, Torchwood, etc. you can very much expect this will focus on story and character.

Chris Chibnall's statements are what has given me hope that they will not use gender as an overarching gimmick. That they will write the Doctor so that she just embodies certain inspirational qualities and thereby the point is laid to rest: it doesn't matter what your gender is - strength, intelligence, leadership, loyalty, etc. are non binary qualities. SO - that being said, this promo is the complete opposite of that intention - let's not say anything about her qualities as a person, but focus only on gender to the exclusion of all other descriptors.

Like I said, I am forever optimistic, but I think this promo was a misstep. Obviously, just my option. I'm hoping that Chibnall delivers as he says, but *seeing* media that indicates otherwise is somewhat disheartening. "Who knows", maybe he cringed at this promo too. :lol:

But anyway, fair enough - everybody has an opinion, nothing is certain, and I'm hoping for the best!

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:07 am

Deborah J wrote:I havent seen the new trailer yet, Im kind of on limited internet rn, but no-one Ive heard from has liked the new trailer. All I really know is that theres modern music and apparently jodie literally breaks a glass ceiling? I dont think I can really form an opinion on that until I see it, which wont be until tomorrow night

I've seen it and I don't like it at all.

Apart from the obvious "She's breaking the glass ceiling- get it", there is literally nothing.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:23 am

I've seen it now, I neither liked nor disliked it, it was kind of a nothing for me, the visuals looked a little rushed, jodie looks a bit like a cartoon at the start, but it's too short to really have any effect. From what I've heard they needed to get their airdate announced in a hurry after it was leaked elsewhere, so maybe that's the best they could do in the time. The little face Jodie does at the end I really liked though.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:19 am

Trailers fine. It doesn’t really feel Who with the music, but hey ho. As for glass ceiling thing; could be intentional, could not, doesn’t really affect me in any way but I’m sure there’ll be those who hate and love it. As for the tagline. The 1996 movie had “he’s back, and it’s about time” so it’s not something new, even if there might be a double meaning. Could have a triple meaning - it’s about time this show got good again!

3 weeks until it’s back! I’m starting to get buzzed. This is a whole new era and my excitement for the franchise is at an all time low after the last couple of series; there’s been moments but it’s just such bad quality compared to what else is on. I tried watching the pilot and god - bad editing, direction, writing, comedy. Just all over the place

I really hope this goes well, I’m excited for where the shows going. The TARDIS and Sonic May look dodgy, but the characters look interesting and some of the stories sound exciting (there’s something with a returning villain that sounds very, very cool, but spoilers I guess)

Bring on 13!

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:07 pm

idontremembermylogin

Postby idontremembermylogin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:11 pm

I really hope that the episodes don't have similar soundtracks to the trailers. I don't want edgy teen drama Doctor Who.
Yes you're right, they don't even sell Doctor Who figures in Dubai.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:16 pm

That's a lot better than that last one, really gives the first sort of flavour of what the new series is going to be like. And it looks great! Stunning cinematography, Jodie just oozing charisma, a sense of a real team dynamic just from that little bit we saw, I'm so stoked for this new series, can we have it now? I don't want to wait 2 more weeks.

ANewWatchBegins

Postby ANewWatchBegins » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:23 pm

I really loved the content of the trailer, the cast, the visuals, everything there really excites me - and Jodie seems so charismatic. The moment where she says 'I'm just a traveller' really stood out to me.

As for the trailer itself... The BBC needs to get better at this because a lot of their shows recently have had terribly cut trailers. This one was so badly edited, it was such a shame. Trailers are a big game these days, they need to up their game.

Return to “Doctor Who Chat”