Mark's Dalek Army

fincon16

Re: Mark's Dalek Army

Postby fincon16 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:06 pm

Galifreyan wrote:I LOVE the gold chrome Daleks.

They are pretty special. I now have one on display with the rest of my collection, and one in its box stored away in my attic. It's a bit weird that I have two of those but only one silver chrome!
Collector and occasional customiser of 12" Daleks

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:19 pm

fincon16 wrote:
I'd love to see a pic of your CO one. I'm always up for more Dalek pics!

I saw your other post about the Comet Dalek. You should definitely give it a go. What's the worst that could happen? For what it's worth, I always use spray paints to do mine as I think it gives a much better finish. Of course, that's hard if you cannot take the hemis off. If not, why not spray the whole skirt, then use a brush to pick out the hemis in the colour of your choice. I think for that model, simple modelling cement glue would work just fine - obvious test it first on a hidden part. Good luck, and keep us in touch with how it's going!

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful. The hemispheres are removable, I had a go at popping them out, theyre n little pegs tyat feed through holes, so I might look into spraying him, I'm going to have to take his base and his head off to fix him so I could do them separately maybe, idk maybe he'd need to be glued together before being painted. Is spray paint quite reasonabley priced? And would I need primer? Im not that sure what primer even is, but it seems like something I might need. Once I'm home from my break I'll make a thread about him, put some pictures of him in his current state. And I'll also show you a picture of my CO one, he's quite nice even though he lacks the big blue base and big lights. Oh, that's another thing Ill need to work out, my big dalek is missing his lighfs, so I'll need to find something to fill in for those.

fincon16

Postby fincon16 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm

Deborah J wrote:Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful. The hemispheres are removable, I had a go at popping them out, theyre n little pegs tyat feed through holes, so I might look into spraying him, I'm going to have to take his base and his head off to fix him so I could do them separately maybe, idk maybe he'd need to be glued together before being painted. Is spray paint quite reasonabley priced? And would I need primer? Im not that sure what primer even is, but it seems like something I might need. Once I'm home from my break I'll make a thread about him, put some pictures of him in his current state. And I'll also show you a picture of my CO one, he's quite nice even though he lacks the big blue base and big lights. Oh, that's another thing Ill need to work out, my big dalek is missing his lighfs, so I'll need to find something to fill in for those.

Well that sounds very hopeful! Do as much separately as you can, and take your time. I have not needed to use primer, but I do give everything a thorough cleaning before spraying.

I've found this stuff pretty good, and not too expensive: https://www.cassart.co.uk/painting/acrylic_colour/spray_paint/montana_spray_paint.htm

You can also get spray paint from B&M at a reasonable price, but they only have a very limited range of colours.

I believe that you might be able to find some Lego pieces to double for the lights.
Collector and occasional customiser of 12" Daleks

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:42 pm

fincon16 wrote:
Deborah J wrote:Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful. The hemispheres are removable, I had a go at popping them out, theyre n little pegs tyat feed through holes, so I might look into spraying him, I'm going to have to take his base and his head off to fix him so I could do them separately maybe, idk maybe he'd need to be glued together before being painted. Is spray paint quite reasonabley priced? And would I need primer? Im not that sure what primer even is, but it seems like something I might need. Once I'm home from my break I'll make a thread about him, put some pictures of him in his current state. And I'll also show you a picture of my CO one, he's quite nice even though he lacks the big blue base and big lights. Oh, that's another thing Ill need to work out, my big dalek is missing his lighfs, so I'll need to find something to fill in for those.

Well that sounds very hopeful! Do as much separately as you can, and take your time. I have not needed to use primer, but I do give everything a thorough cleaning before spraying.

I've found this stuff pretty good, and not too expensive: https://www.cassart.co.uk/painting/acrylic_colour/spray_paint/montana_spray_paint.htm

You can also get spray paint from B&M at a reasonable price, but they only have a very limited range of colours.

I believe that you might be able to find some Lego pieces to double for the lights.

One of my concerns is that it has previously been painted, although not terribly well, by the person who originally built the kit, so that might leave a slightly lumpy finish. I think if i sand that paint down a little maybe that should fix that problem, though. Lego sounds like a good place to look for the lights, I'll look into that. And don't worry, I'll definitely be taking it slowly, I'm a complete novice, so I'll be going very slow and careful.

Return to “Collections & Fan Art”