Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by Doctor What »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:08 pm
Doctor What wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:32 pm
Whovastron wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 pm
My 13 has horrible eyes, a real shame as the hair looks great. And the coat is painted really well too. She looks like a cross between Palpatine and Bowie when it comes to her eyes though.
Graham’s a lovely figure. Reuses parts sure, but he works well enough. His smile is perfect though.
Dalek is great. Paint is a bit bland though, needs a bit more silver/gunmetal grey in there rather than brown I think. But other than that and the innacurate size it’s a great figure.
Passed on the judoon.
TARDIS is great, just looks fantastic even if it is really innacurate
Is the recon Dalek the wrong size? He looks about right next to Jodie.
Well Jodie is definitely the wrong size. So there's a ringer. Both figures are too tall compared to the actual articles, so that's that. But honestly I didn't notice until I put the Recon next to a standard 2005 Dalek. He's about equal when he should be smaller.

And yeah, that TARDIS. I look at it, I place 13 with it, and it still looks wrong. Usually that stuff doesn't get me, but this time it does.

8 looks awesome with it, though.
I think i'd rather have him the size he is so he looks right next to Jodie, rather than against normal Daleks that you'd never really put him with anyway. If they do that upcoming special Dalek I think they'd have to remould the skirt anyway so maybe his height would improve.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

They won’t do that unfortunately. Too costly.

So the deal with scale. Scale has never been right across the board. Tennant and Colin are way too small, the silents are way to tall etc. There’s many examples. But that just comes with the territory of action figures.

The thing with the current ‘scale’ though. It’s it’s bigger across the board, but CO says otherwise. Back in 2015 we were introduced to the ‘collector series’. Where there said ‘5.5inch’ on the box. Now good ol’ CO and Al claim that this is just the scale they’ve always been, it’s the Daleks that are 5”, and that this means nothing. I however have another theory.

Whilst the true scale being 5.5 is generally true. In 2015 there was a new design house used for some of the figures, and this through some kind of cock-up, all the new designs turned out huge. Capaldi, the 8th Doctor, The Curator, they’re all huuugggeee. I believe that this is why they changed it to ‘5.5’ because whilst that is technically true for the whole line, the new figures were extremely far from the blanket ‘5”’ term previously used. And basically they’ve just kept to that new scale ever since. Jodie is big, the Dalek is big etc.

I might be wrong, but that’s my theory. At the end of the day scale isn’t the worst thing. It only gets weird when you’re displaying the series 9 Capaldi next to Tennant, or the curator next to 4, or the junk Dalek next to the regular Daleks. But hey, Cal Kestis shouldn’t be taller than Anakin Skywalker, but according to black series he is

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Whovastron wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:53 pm
I mean everyone thought that about making the Recon Dalek in the first place. It's definitely unlikely but I wouldn't rule it out.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Whovastron wrote:
I might be wrong, but that’s my theory. At the end of the day scale isn’t the worst thing. It only gets weird when you’re displaying the series 9 Capaldi next to Tennant, or the curator next to 4, or the junk Dalek next to the regular Daleks. But hey, Cal Kestis shouldn’t be taller than Anakin Skywalker, but according to black series he is
Weirdly, the scale thing only gets me when it's something I EXPECT due to actual visuals I've seen. Colin Baker never shared the screen with Tennant, Capaldi, Pertwee....but he's taller than Peri and Troughton, so I'm good with it.

Tennant and Smith look about right together (Yes, I know they aren't), but they never stood next to Capaldi or "Night of the Doctor" McGann, so the discrepancies there don't bug me. But man, did I make Capaldi dramatically lurch to make him look right next to Bill, who SHOULD be a bit taller.

Troughton and McCoy should be shortest, and Ace is bang on where she should be next to McCoy. (As is Pertwee or the Brig next to Troughton.) I know Whittaker should be down there too, but....she'll likely never share a screen with any of them, so her height inaccuracy is no biggie.

The Recon Dalek never would've occured to me if I hadn't put it next to a regular 2005 Dalek, but I agree 100% having it in scale with Whittaker makes more sense: They're the two that need to be in scale, not the Recon and, say, the "Planet" Supreme Dalek.

SJF

Post by SJF »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:55 am
Whovastron wrote:
Weirdly, the scale thing only gets me when it's something I EXPECT due to actual visuals I've seen. Colin Baker never shared the screen with Tennant, Capaldi, Pertwee....but he's taller than Peri and Troughton, so I'm good with it.

Tennant and Smith look about right together (Yes, I know they aren't), but they never stood next to Capaldi or "Night of the Doctor" McGann, so the discrepancies there don't bug me. But man, did I make Capaldi dramatically lurch to make him look right next to Bill, who SHOULD be a bit taller.

Troughton and McCoy should be shortest, and Ace is bang on where she should be next to McCoy. (As is Pertwee or the Brig next to Troughton.) I know Whittaker should be down there too, but....she'll likely never share a screen with any of them, so her height inaccuracy is no biggie.

The Recon Dalek never would've occured to me if I hadn't put it next to a regular 2005 Dalek, but I agree 100% having it in scale with Whittaker makes more sense: They're the two that need to be in scale, not the Recon and, say, the "Planet" Supreme Dalek.
This is basically my view too

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

Doctor What wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:30 am
Whovastron wrote:
I mean everyone thought that about making the Recon Dalek in the first place. It's definitely unlikely but I wouldn't rule it out.
It’s a different situation though to be honest. They wouldn’t retool the skirt just to make it shorter for the sake of scale. They didn’t retool the imperial Dalek skirts despite the fact they are a different shape entirely to every other Dalek skirt. I would safely say it can be filled out unless that new Dalek has any significant detail in the skirt that the recon doesn’t (if it does I apologise I haven’t looked much at the filming pictures)

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Whovastron wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:55 am
Doctor What wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:30 am
Whovastron wrote:
It’s a different situation though to be honest. They wouldn’t retool the skirt just to make it shorter for the sake of scale. They didn’t retool the imperial Dalek skirts despite the fact they are a different shape entirely to every other Dalek skirt. I would safely say it can be filled out unless that new Dalek has any significant detail in the skirt that the recon doesn’t (if it does I apologise I haven’t looked much at the filming pictures)
The skirt on this new Dalek does appear to be completely different to the recon skirt, it wouldn't be for the sake of scale, they could just correct it a bit while they're there.

Link to image of new Dalek (SPOILERS)
https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... 61DeMaibuU

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

I actually think the new skirt looks more upright than the original, so it's possible the figure's height is correct scale for the prop in it's current form, but perhaps that is taller than the original.

Whovastron

Post by Whovastron »

Ah I take back everything I said then, that skirt is completely different

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 »

it seems at least from what i can tell from mine, its a fairly modular with the gun box being seperate to the skirt witch is very different to any other dalek released, maybe they have made it like that on purpose so they can make this new one by simply making a new skirt section but re using the mid and head sections.
Former HUU Doctor Who Society President. All Round Who Boffin.
Co-founder Vault Cosplays - https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home