B&M doctor who sets.

Lepter1

Re: B&M doctor who sets.

Post by Lepter1 »

SJF wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:05 pm
To me Big Finish IS Doctor Who opposed to anything that’s appeared on screen, so I’d rather have at least one Big Finish companion, preferably for Eight.

I mean I’m not against more Classic stuff, but really anything Big Finish would be alongside the regular releases rather than instead of, so I don’t really see what the big deal is.

We got a Dark Eyes McGann and Harry Sullivan in 2019.
It's not a big deal.....just feels strange to be focussing on companions that have never been seen outside of a photograph. Still....just glad that dr who figures are being made at all.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis »

Yeah I've got no problem with them making any figures based on big finish, it's no big deal, I just wouldn't be particularly interested in them. But that's fine, it'll save me money. :lol: I certainly don't think it's strange and if people want them then they should make them. But I personally would prefer other figures.

Rackers96

Post by Rackers96 »

I was saying to a friend of mine the other day, I would love for them to do One of those 4 daleks packs as a dalek legacy pack,

Dead planet daleks, death to the daleks dalek, Genesis dalek and imperial dalek
Former HUU Doctor Who Society President. All Round Who Boffin.
Co-founder Vault Cosplays - https://vaultcosplays.wixsite.com/home

Gek2Win

Post by Gek2Win »

It's funny to think, if these are due in weeks then it's likely that we would have seen them around now if not for the BBC's involvement. I'm sure we'll get a press release sooner rather than later.

CharlieTheWhovian
Location: I could tell you but then I'd probably have to kill you... ;)

Post by CharlieTheWhovian »

Gek2Win wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:06 am
It's funny to think, if these are due in weeks then it's likely that we would have seen them around now if not for the BBC's involvement. I'm sure we'll get a press release sooner rather than later.
Toy Fair's next week now so idk if they'll show up before that now...

skifflebits

Post by skifflebits »

So I'm guessing CO is hoping these get out while the show is still on the air so they'll have the built-in publicity?
None of Doctor Who is canon.

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

skifflebits wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:50 pm
So I'm guessing CO is hoping these get out while the show is still on the air so they'll have the built-in publicity?
The B&M sets seem to do pretty decent regardless of whether the show is on or not, but it certainly can't hurt. I wonder if the Series 11/12 wave is held back by the fact that it's got the new Judoon in it and they don't tend to release stuff before it's been on TV?

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

skifflebits wrote:
My fear: The show's performance affects release.

Al made this sound like it already could affect a potential wave 2. But if BBC merchandising is the financial reason we were getting a Series 11/12 line, and it was based on Series 11's overall performance...what if a slower start to Series 12 is giving them pause?

This is, of course, all speculation and I'm assuming that a new series line would be partially supported/funded by the BBC. But since series 12 started, suddenly news went quiet, where just prior we had advance listings. If this was a January release, we should have SOME news by now.

Being optimistic, I'm thinking it's more....

January: B&M revamps/rereleases
March: Series 11/12 wave.
Summer (August): 2020 B&M

Doctor What

Post by Doctor What »

Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 pm
skifflebits wrote:

Al made this sound like it already could affect a potential wave 2. But if BBC merchandising is the financial reason we were getting a Series 11/12 line, and it was based on Series 11's overall performance...what if a slower start to Series 12 is giving them pause?

This is, of course, all speculation and I'm assuming that a new series line would be partially supported/funded by the BBC. But since series 12 started, suddenly news went quiet, where just prior we had advance listings. If this was a January release, we should have SOME news by now.

I doubt the performance of series 12 would affect them releasing figures. For one, it's not doing that bad as far as I can tell, I don't think it's doing bad enough to affect any releases, and also with how far in advance things are prepared I imagine most stuff was set in stone at the end of last year so it would probably be too late to pull anything anyway.

Spannerintheworks

Post by Spannerintheworks »

Doctor What wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:32 pm
Spannerintheworks wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 pm
skifflebits wrote:

I doubt the performance of series 12 would affect them releasing figures. For one, it's not doing that bad as far as I can tell, I don't think it's doing bad enough to affect any releases, and also with how far in advance things are prepared I imagine most stuff was set in stone at the end of last year so it would probably be too late to pull anything anyway.
So, "bad" is subjective. I don't think the show has done "bad" at all.

The BBC perception is what I worry about. Briefly, they heralded last year as a triumph. Numbers wise overall, sure. I agree. In multiple statements and associated reviews it was argued that the show was "doing better". Usually held against series 10 or the prior 3-4 years.

We're now back around Series 9 or 10's numbers. I think that's fine. But I'm not the company sinking money into the show and its merch.

If Series 11 numbers overall are what will encourage more merch, then we aren't getting them currently.

That's why I worry.

I'd wager we get the Series 11/12 wave 1. I bet we get it in March. But, again just going with facts here, Al himself said hopefully Series 12 numbers would pick up and help merit a Wave 2. He said that after Spyfall, pt 1. The numbers are since at best steady, with a minor decline.

All speculation, yes. I'm optimistic but if Al says "Yeah, maybe" or "Yeah, no", I'm gonna look at why he said it and if anything changes for the better or worse.