3D Printable figure release thread. Download and print your own custom 5" figures for free!

skifflebits

Re: Free 5" scale 3D Printable figures! Kroton, Wirrn, War Machine, Yeti, Quark, Zarbi, TARDIS console & more!

Postby skifflebits » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:51 pm

I have a vague memory of someone making lead miniatures of Tractators years ago, but I could be wrong about that. Not that something that small would have enough detail for modeling purposes.

There are a surprising number of photos of the costume on line, but not to the degree you'd be looking for.

I'm pretty surprised Eaglemoss hasn't done a Tractator yet. It's not the most iconic monster, but they've done more obscure ones.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Re: Free 5" scale 3D Printable figures! Kroton, Wirrn, War Machine, Yeti, Quark, Zarbi, TARDIS console & more!

Postby bluehinter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:03 pm

skifflebits wrote:I have a vague memory of someone making lead miniatures of Tractators years ago, but I could be wrong about that. Not that something that small would have enough detail for modeling purposes.

I scanned an Eaglemoss figure once before, and a Dapol figure as well for comparison.

The Eaglemoss clearly has significantly more surface detail than the Dapol figure, but is hampered by being so small. The Dapol figure is bigger, but has less surface detail, so it looks pretty horrible blown up to 5" scale. I'm afraid that even the most intricate lead miniatures would probably be as bad (if not worse) than the Dapol when blown up about 6x their normal scale.

There are a surprising number of photos of the costume on line, but not to the degree you'd be looking for.

The thing with Recap is that they all have to be photos taken 360°around a fixed object. Both the object and the background surrounding it, need to be identical for every shot for it to stitch them together. Even if I had 200 different photos of the Tractator costume (or went through and selected 200 frames from the episode itself) it wouldn't work because the arms, antennae, and other body parts aren't in the same position.

That's not to say that the technology to do this is completely out of reach. It's entirely possible that in another 5-10 years or so, machine learning and pattern recognition will have advanced to the point where I only have to show my computer clips of the monster, and it'll be able to reconstruct a complex 3D model automatically.

I'm pretty surprised Eaglemoss hasn't done a Tractator yet. It's not the most iconic monster, but they've done more obscure ones.

Me too. I always keep a close eye on Gav's facebook page to see what's coming down the pipeline. I'm sure we'll get one eventually, since Eaglemoss' contract just got extended. The Mandrell figure just came out in the UK, so that's another one that I definitely plan on doing if this project works.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:14 pm

So here's what I finally finished painting today:

Features include:

• Whomping arms
  • Moving guns
  • Rotating radar dish (can be made to spin with a rubber band, but I didn't want to risk breaking it)
  • Swappable number plates
  • Remote controllable with two GoBrix motors!

I promised the folks on Facebook I'd post a video of me driving the War Machine around when it was complete, so here is the "technically correct" version of that video. https://youtu.be/T94cyzIkXmI

I say "technically correct" because the ThinkGeek GoBrix motors, while easy to install, are too under-powered to move the War Machine around reliability. What you see here is an edited clip showing the few times it *didn't* stall out and fail to move.

The design is supposed to incorporate 4 different RC motors (2 for drive, one for the arms, and 1 for the radar dish) and mechanically it works fine. Practically, I had to strip all but the drive motors out, then carve up the insides with a soldering iron to get the weight down to a point where it would mostly trundle forward. Even so, it still didn’t have the torque required to turn.

I will be uploading a super-stripped-down version that cuts off every spare bit of internal surface area possibly that may make future printings easier to drive, but for now, it still functions fine as a regular non-RC toy.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:52 am

I've updated my templates page and added a new Beta version of The War Machine to Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EXLSnterjCvwVkx8FQDCBJeig8UEcpDx

Cosmetically, the only noticeable difference from V3 is that the light panels on the sides have the correct number of cells now, but internally, it has been completely redesigned.
It should be safe to print if you don't intend to motorize it. If you *do* intend to motorize it, it's got an entirely new and untested cam system, and I've stripped as much weight from the body as possible in the hopes that this will allow the poor GoBrix motors to function as intended. No promises though, and I won't get a chance to reprint again until after the McGann console room is done, which will probably take me at least another 3 or 4 weeks.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:18 am

I don't want you to think I'm being rude, but I've been wodering this for ages, why do you have two seperate threads for these? They seem to both be your printy figures, and you always update them both simultaneously. Sorry if thats a rude sounding question, I'm just wondering

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:36 am

Deborah J wrote:I don't want you to think I'm being rude, but I've been wodering this for ages, why do you have two seperate threads for these? They seem to both be your printy figures, and you always update them both simultaneously. Sorry if thats a rude sounding question, I'm just wondering

The thread in the Customs section is my ongoing development thread, where I make the vast majority of my posts, and over 33 pages long now.
This one I only post to occasionally when I release a new design or a major upgrade for a figure and make the template available for download. (though yes, I do post in both threads simultaneously when that happens.)

Unlike most of the other customizers, when I announce a new figure template, it's not just a picture of a cool one-of-a-kind object for people to look at and be jealous of. You can actually download and print that exact same object yourself. (Or pay someone else to print it for you.) In that way, it's similar to an official toy release announcement, and I keep this separate thread open for doing that, so folks who don't regularly visit the customs section can know when something new is available without having to sift through all my other posts.

I should probably change the title of the first post though to make that more explicit.

Deborah J

Re: 3D Printable figure release thread. Download and print your own custom 5" figures for free!

Postby Deborah J » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:52 am

Ah right, that makes sense, I hadn't quite realised that was what you were doing. That's good though, it'll be nice for people to be able to make their own ones of the things you make.

bluehinter

Re: 3D Printable figure release thread. Download and print your own custom 5" figures for free!

Postby bluehinter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 am

023 - Season 14-17 Newbery TARDIS
TinkerCAD link: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/aBtZYgYTxT3
Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xltHXvnWE8BdhjVFMWDH32_lPPuGJqNH

This started out as a quick favor for a friend that quickly ballooned into a full-fledged figure of its own.

Originally it was just an alternate roof and base for customizing the Character Options Yardley TARDIS (which is pretty close). This proved to be not as good as it could have been, so he sent me a 3D Yardley TARDIS designed by someone else (I've got the parted out pre-tinkering version up here: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0IoQXJb22md if anyone wants to play with it) which I was just supposed to move the lock and mantle signs on. Well, perfectionist that I am, I went on TARDIS Builders and noticed a whole bunch of other things that would need to be changed if it was going to look accurate, so I more or less rebuilt the thing from scratch and added a secret compartment in the roof where you can hide a Mini Keychain light to make the lamp on top light up at the touch of a button. I may also make an alternate back panel that is easier to pop in and out, just like the actual Newbery TARDIS.

Note: I don't really plan on doing any more TARDISes, especially because they seem to be the one classic series toy that Character Options are actually releasing new versions of. It's entirely possible that we may get a new 4th Doctor set at some point that contains a Newbery TARDIS, at which point, this design will be pulled from release, as I've promised with all my designs.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Amazing work! I'm impressed at the care and detail that goes into these things.

Would you consider doing a TVM TARDIS since CO never made a mold for that one, and probably never will?
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

SomeCleverReference

Postby SomeCleverReference » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:35 pm

skifflebits wrote:Amazing work! I'm impressed at the care and detail that goes into these things.

Would you consider doing a TVM TARDIS since CO never made a mold for that one, and probably never will?

Obviously not who you asked, but I already have a model for all the classic TARDISes (except S18-19 because apparently there are no highly accurate plans yet), most of which just need test printing before I put them up. The TVM box was actually the first one I designed, and I printed most of it before accidentally breaking it and having to reprint from scratch. Really the only thing I need to do to it is add the hidden handle into the base, maybe I'll print that one next.

Return to “5" Figures”