Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

bluehinter

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:19 am

skifflebits wrote:Random question: How fine of a resolution would you need to print out a pair of sunglasses in scale with the 12th Doctor figure? :)

I made a set when I made Capaldi's guitar. Here's the STL file if you're interested: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rtWaJ-xEptmQO0znUb0pthXfWqciWwBS

The problem is, even flubbing the design to be thicker than normal, It's still only about 2mm thick, and the stems are only about 1-2mm wide, every part of which is a recipe for disaster. Of course, the one and only time I tried to print it, it completely self-destructed, even on my HD machine. I never really expected it to work. Your filament control would have to be absolutely flawless to even think about pulling it off.

A SLA resin printer *might* be able to handle it, but since I don't have one, I've never had an opportunity to experiment.
I might give it another go on my HD machine once I get my new Flexion extruder upgrade kit, if I notice a substantial improvement in detail printing (I mainly bought it because my old extruder has been jamming, not because I expect it to work miracles). But still, in the off chance it does work at all, we're talking about a highly specialized and upgraded machine. It's still the sort of thing you probably wouldn't be able to have custom printed.

skifflebits

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Ha! Well, thanks for the info. I'm sure some day technology will catch up to my tiny imagination. :)
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 am

So many printer setbacks over the last month and a half, that I've hardly gotten any work done at all. Both my machines have spent more time disassembled than they have printing, but at least that finally seems to be at an end.

Well, my SD machine is going to have to remain in pieces for a few more days because the heating element is quite literally fused in place, so I can't remove it from the old block to install it into the new replacement extruder I bought, but I'm thrilled that the HD machine is back up and working beautifully now, and has been running non-stop ever since.
I've managed to print everything but the big hexagonal pad for the redesigned Dalek Transmat, without a single misprint so far, which hasn't happened in a good long while. I'm hoping I'll be able to have this design done and dusted by the end of the weekend.
And I'm even noticing a very slight improvement in print quality too... The corners on straight edges are now a tiny bit sharper, and the underside of overhangs marginally less stringy. Nothing that has any real practical impact on my figure design, but ehh... I suppose it's something to show for all the time and money I've wasted on repairs lately.

So now I can finally refocus my attention back on more important matters, like fattening up the Wirrn so maybe he'll actually print this time.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Lookin good, Mr. Hinter! Can I ask how the base is going to work? I was never sure just how a Wirrn stood up in the first place.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:30 am

skifflebits wrote:Lookin good, Mr. Hinter! Can I ask how the base is going to work? I was never sure just how a Wirrn stood up in the first place.

Answer: a removable butt!

The bottom end of the practical costume(s) were never shown, but we do see their earwig-like behinds during the model spacewalk sequence, so I decided "why not both?" and just split the design more or less where the original costume ended. The top part will (hopefully) be flat enough to stand on it's own, and because it'll be hollow, it can be used like a finger puppet. I'm hoping that if I print the base at 100% fill, it will be weighty enough to keep the rest of the figure upright when sitting on a shelf. (if not, maybe I can come up with a way to insert a lead fishing weight)

We'll see. I'm almost done with the Dalek Transmat (just having a little bit of trouble with the door panels, and after that, I need to reprint some PETG parts) but fingers crossed, I'll have that done by this weekend, and then I might be able to start test printing Wirrn pieces.

joe38658

Postby joe38658 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm

bluehinter wrote:Image

That looks a bit like a... well... :lol:
i dont know what to put here

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 pm

Nice work.

Though I feel there's a potential for the use of this toy for purposes for which is was not intended. :)

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:45 am

skifflebits wrote:Nice work.

Though I feel there's a potential for the use of this toy for purposes for which is was not intended. :)

Well, I had to do something to compete with the new sonic.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 pm

bluehinter wrote:
skifflebits wrote:Nice work.

Well, I had to do something to compete with the new sonic.

Next project: Erato's pseudopod!

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:11 am

For anyone interested, I've updated the Dalek Transmat templates on my website with the new final version, and some step-by-step photographic instructions for assembling the LEDs similar to what I did for the light-up TARDIS.

The final version comes in 3 flavors depending on whether you want to print it solid, use non-blinking LEDs (with a switch) or blinking LEDs (with a button.)

Return to “Customs”