Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

bluehinter

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:14 am

For anyone interested, this fellow has started a YouTube build diary for assembling and painting the 20th Anniversary TARDIS console based off my design. (Sorry about the weird extraneous red piece, dude. I obviously forgot to remove it when I was zipping up the STL files.) He's now up to day 6, and it already looks better than mine in most places, especially the Time Rotor and door lever.

Seeing someone else have to assemble it makes me feel a bit guilty, since there are some functional changes I plan on making to the final version, but haven't gotten around to yet, so he's going to have to go through all the hassle of making the LEDs fit with the old cramped interior layout, and deal with the wonky lopsided spring drive.
I've got the HD printer test printing the new fatter version of the Wirrn head now. I should know in about 24 hours whether it turns out okay. (or sooner, if it self destructs like the last version.) I still haven't separated out the top antenna layer because I'm really hoping with some extra cut-away supports, I can keep it all one piece.
I also discovered that there is something seriously geometrically wrong with the top set of Wirrn legs, that causes it to spawn some sort of horrible fractal cancer that sends the polygon count through the roof and makes it impossible to import back into TinkerCAD. Luckily, I'm pretty sure I can adapt the middle legs and nobody will be able to tell the difference (and I may still end up having to completely redesign them to print flat anyways.)
We're getting closer. I'd really like to get this one done so I can move on to more fun stuff.

bluehinter

Re: BlueHinter's free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:27 am

Look at you, you sexy thing!

The Wirrn head came out gorgeous this time. The only problem is, I made the supports too thick so they broke off the end of the antenna when I tried to snip them off. I should hopefully be able to fix that on the next printing. I'm going to reset tonight, then if the reprint works, attempt the legs over the weekend (Once I decide what method I'm going to use to connect them to the body.) I'm trying out a new plug type on this design, that I hope will be easier to slot and lock in place, but getting joints made out of rigid material like PLA to function correctly is always the trickiest part of the build, and this has got 7 of them to deal with.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:16 am

Thanks to Tony Harrison's awesome vlog about building and painting the TARDIS console, interest in the project has exploded in the last few weeks. I wish I had new stuff to actually show off for the people who are just joining in.

The Wirrn continues to be a never-ending headache, as the legs themselves are finally printing adequately, but the new socket designs just aren't working. I've tweaked them and tweaked them, and I keep running into the same issue that to lock in place the way I want, they need to be significantly bigger around than the amount of room in which I have to place them.

ImageImage

So, it's back to the drawing board, and some sort of plug design, which I was really hoping to get away from since they're unreliable and very easy to break or otherwise damage when forcing into the holes, which really sucks for anybody who is relying on a printing service to print parts for them.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Mr Hinter!

I have a quick question for you. I was trying to get the Rutan model printed via 3dhubs, but the printer rejected the order because he didn't think FDM would print it properly. He went on to suggest SLS or SLA printing. Do you think those would work all right? How tight are sockets for those tentacles?

(His exact comments are below.)
These are very interesting models! Unfortunately the printing method you have selected (FDM) is not likely to successfully produce them. This type of model is much better suited for printing methods like SLS (nylon powder) or SLA (resin).

The reason I say this is that those processes are better able to produce thin, curvy geometry like all of these tentacles. FDM would fail to reproduce most of them, and those that were successfully printed would most likely break in the support removal process or in shipping.

I hate to do it, because it is such a cool model, but I think the best advice I can give you is to find another hub that offers SLS or SLA printing so that you can get a finished print that will meet your needs. If you want a translucent green like you selected on this order, then I'd focus your search on SLA. Please let me know how you would like to proceed with this order.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:04 am

skifflebits wrote:Mr Hinter!

I have a quick question for you. I was trying to get the Rutan model printed via 3dhubs, but the printer rejected the order because he didn't think FDM would print it properly. He went on to suggest SLS or SLA printing. Do you think those would work all right? How tight are sockets for those tentacles?

It would probably look gorgeous in resin. If you can find somebody who will print it that way for you, and it's not ungodly expensive, totally go for it. Mine was printed on a HD machine with transparent green PETG at 100% fill, and it still came out looking pretty crappy.

This photo is after I used a solder gun after printing to smooth out the worst of the rough edges. It looked even worse before. A SLA printer would give you darn close to a perfect print, with the added benefit of being significantly sturdier and mostly transparent. And they do make transparent green resin, you see it in demos all the time:
A Rutan would look spectacular out of this stuff. I you do get it printed out of SLA, I want to see pictures. I've already reached the conclusion that when I go back to work on the 20th Anniversary Console, I'm either going to have to break down and buy a small Resin printers, or have the transparent time rotor pieces printed special.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:18 am

I've got the plug design Wirrn legs printing now. I'm going to try two different versions... one where I let CURA build the supports, and one where I build them myself to see which looks better when they're cut away. (the CURA support versions have a rough waffle pattern to them and jagged scalloped edges which I don't like.

With any luck, I'll be done with the legs tomorrow or Tuesday, and can move on to the body next. Other than possible warping of the sockets due to being printed vertically, I'm pretty sure the body will print just fine. But because it's quite a large piece there's no point wasting filament until I'm certain the legs are going to come out close to their intended shape.

If it's not immediately apparent, I'm eager to move on from this hellish design and get on to something fun. I'm itching to get started on the Kroton, which I anticipate will be a far less time-consuming build. After that, it's really time I went back and cleaned up the War Machine. I've already done some minor work and hopefully now have a base that's Go-Brix compatible. That'll be a good one to leave printing when I fly out to Oregon in 2 weeks time. Fingers crossed, the Wirrn will be done before then.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks for the insight, BH. I'll check to see if SLA would be prohibitively expensive.

And just so I'm clear, you need to print two copies of each of the tentacles, yes?

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:09 pm

skifflebits wrote:Thanks for the insight, BH. I'll check to see if SLA would be prohibitively expensive.

And just so I'm clear, you need to print two copies of each of the tentacles, yes?

No, everything you need is there in 4 files (print 1 of each):

Rutan Body
Rutan Key tentacle (this is a long single tentacle that slots in the back with a + on the end that can be used to turn the LED brick on and off)
Rutan Lego (a flat piece with a 2x3 Lego compatible top that hides the underside of the LED brick)
Rutan Side tentacles (Both side tentacles combined in the same file)

skifflebits

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Ah! Good to know! Thanks!

I'm getting a quotes at about $50 for a resin print, so I'm trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger.

Oh, and the LED lego brick is the one you reference on your site, right?

bluehinter

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 pm

skifflebits wrote:Ah! Good to know! Thanks!

I'm getting a quotes at about $50 for a resin print, so I'm trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger.

Oh, and the LED lego brick is the one you reference on your site, right?

Yes, either the green one from this set: https://smile.amazon.com/UniBlock-Light-Up-Bricks-Compatible-Brands/dp/B01JQLXL4K/
or clear one from this set: https://smile.amazon.com/UniBlock-Light-Up-Compatible-constant-emergency/dp/B01JQJY31C/

They're not an official Lego piece (those have a different style of light brick that's longer and push button activated, so not at all useful for my designs) but these UniBlocks are a pretty common item in educational toy stores and science museum gift shops here in the US, I'm not sure about the UK.
Got a 3D printer? Print your own 5" scale Doctor Who figures today!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3DPrintingDoctorWho/

Return to “Customs”