Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

bluehinter

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:50 am

A new year, and I'm diving straight into construction on the 8th Doctor console set.
I started out with the column supports, since they required the most work to make them screen accurate and filament printer friendly. I found a nice behind the scenes photo taken during set construction which shows off the positioning of every rivet, which is convenient. I also want to try to replicate the spotlight pattern in the second picture, which is a bit tricky, since the spotlights are actually mounted in the studio roof, not the arches, but I think if I position the LEDs inside of tubes angled to 23 degrees, I can replicate the effect. I should be able to get away with a single white CR2025 fairy light for the top part of this build, and just color the interior lights for the central column with a blue sharpie.

Here's what I've come up with so far, Frankensteining together the best elements of Jeffrey and Smappy's designs with my own improvements...

The version on the right is what I thought was true scale (which would be a massive 22" wide!), and the version on the left is reduced in scale by 75%. I threw in a 135mm test figure in there (the same size as McGann's CO figure) and the 75% scale version is looking way more proportionally accurate. There aren't that many good shots of McGann standing close to the columns, but there are some of Eric Roberts, and his head is almost perfectly level with the 4th roundel of the column strut, the same as my test figure.

Overall, this is good news since 17" x 15" is a far more manageable size, and it means I can print the bottom half of the strut in one piece, but it does now mean that some of the parts I deliberately sized to 5mm (about the smallest width that will reliably print while keeping structural integrity) will now be 3.75mm, which is pushing minimal tolerances, even on my HD machine. I wish I'd known that before I spent an entire day shoring up columns and rebuilding the cross-braces from scratch, but I may have to test print one and then go back and further shore up the design if it doesn't work.

There should be enough room to hide the CR2025 battery case in the top part of the column, but I won't know if there's also enough room to hide a spring-loaded plunger mechanism to make the time rotor rise and fall until I get to that part of the build. (The main problem is, there's not a lot of room to do the same for the base, and the spring would have to go the opposite direction.)

I'm going to make the very top-most part of the time rotor pillar an optional slot-in, with two different versions. A simple flat cap that hides the switch to operate the LEDs, and a taller, more screen accurate version that adds another 2 or 3 inches to an already massively oversized playset, that most people probably won't have the shelf space for. (I'm already going to have to reposition my entire room to create an additional display space for these larger sets!

skifflebits

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:01 pm

Honestly, the console in the full-sized version looks a little high anyway.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

who_customs_

Postby who_customs_ » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Would you ever consider posting these designs to a website such as Shapeways? I've used the website before, as I don't own a 3D printer but love your work and would love to get myself a console or two.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:39 pm

He does have a site called http://3dprintingdoctorwho.com/

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:00 am

who_customs_ wrote:Would you ever consider posting these designs to a website such as Shapeways? I've used the website before, as I don't own a 3D printer but love your work and would love to get myself a console or two.

All my designs are available for download on https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/templates.html.
Once you download the STL files, you can use these to have them custom printed using a print-to-order service. (Read the directions on the Templates page, because sometimes I include different versions of the files depending on how you plan on having the items printed, or you may need multiple copies of a single file.)

I highly recommend checking 3Dhubs.com for pricing first before going with Shapeways. For one thing, Shapeways pricing is outrageously expensive, and with 3D hubs, you're usually dealing with printers who are semi-local to your area, and you can communicate back and forth with them if you or they have questions.

If you're going for filament printing (PLA) rather than the more expensive resin, be warned that layer height is going to be a very important factor in how well your print is going to come out, especially on the consoles, which have lots of flat diagonal slopes.

All my templates are designed to be printed at 0.1mm (100 micron) layer height or lower. 0.02mm (20 micron) is better, if you can get it. Beware of any place that doesn't specify the layer height, because a lot of companies jack up their layer heights to 1.0mm (10 micron) instead, which allows them to print significantly faster, but causes all slopes and curves to have a very noticeable ziggurat-like step pattern. If you're going to spend a packet paying someone to print you a custom TARDIS Console, be sure you know exactly what you're getting into beforehand.
Got a 3D printer? Print your own 5" scale Doctor Who figures today!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3DPrintingDoctorWho/

who_customs_

Postby who_customs_ » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 pm

bluehinter wrote:
who_customs_ wrote:Would you ever consider posting these designs to a website such as Shapeways? I've used the website before, as I don't own a 3D printer but love your work and would love to get myself a console or two.

All my designs are available for download on https://www.3dprintingdoctorwho.com/templates.html.
Once you download the STL files, you can use these to have them custom printed using a print-to-order service. (Read the directions on the Templates page, because sometimes I include different versions of the files depending on how you plan on having the items printed, or you may need multiple copies of a single file.)

I highly recommend checking 3Dhubs.com for pricing first before going with Shapeways. For one thing, Shapeways pricing is outrageously expensive, and with 3D hubs, you're usually dealing with printers who are semi-local to your area, and you can communicate back and forth with them if you or they have questions.

If you're going for filament printing (PLA) rather than the more expensive resin, be warned that layer height is going to be a very important factor in how well your print is going to come out, especially on the consoles, which have lots of flat diagonal slopes.

All my templates are designed to be printed at 0.1mm (100 micron) layer height or lower. 0.02mm (20 micron) is better, if you can get it. Beware of any place that doesn't specify the layer height, because a lot of companies jack up their layer heights to 1.0mm (10 micron) instead, which allows them to print significantly faster, but causes all slopes and curves to have a very noticeable ziggurat-like step pattern. If you're going to spend a packet paying someone to print you a custom TARDIS Console, be sure you know exactly what you're getting into beforehand.

Thank you for your help! I will certainly look into it now I have some expert advice

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:26 am

The first piece of the 8th Doctor console room set is printed. Doing the math, it's going to take 20 days of continuous 24 hour printing to complete all 18 pieces of the arches! Realistically, since I can't be home and monitoring the printer at all times, that probably means I'm going to be printing away at this project for a full month!

On the plus side, the piece you see here is straight off the machine with the support structures removed, and nothing else. The PLA+ I bought is working great, and the finished model is hardly going to require any sanding or finishing at all. You can really see the improvement in quality, especially on the overhangs. I still don't know exactly what's in PLA+ but it's apparently a "special blend" of PLA with some magical extra ingredient that makes it a "vibration absorbing and less brittle version of PLA, with the strength and durability of ASB." I don't know if it's the "vibration absorbing" but something about it makes it print much crisper and cleaner than regular PLA, especially on my 20 micron printer where the layer lines are almost invisible.

It's still not as good as resin, but is well worth the extra $2 to $5 a roll. From now on, I think I'll be using nothing else.

I've got the middle section printing now, and then the top to follow. Assuming all three fit together as intended, I can keep printing while I finish up the rest of the design work for the console, monitor, base, and floor. I just rewatched the movie, and took a bunch of screenshots and notes that should help with movement, lights, and other special features I want to include.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:00 am

One full arch completed. I'm glad I didn't make it any bigger!
The pieces slot together wonderfully, but the back of the round “pivot” came out a little smushed from printing upside down. I've added some additional support on the next printing, and thankfully it’s the smallest piece in the entire build, so I'm not losing two full days reprinting it.

In unrelated news, I'm almost done painting a previous project that I'm really eager to show off. Hopefully I'll be putting the finishing touches on it this weekend, and can drive it around the back patio if it's not pouring again.

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Impressive. But wow, that is big. I'm not sure how you'd fit the final piece on a shelf.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:00 am

skifflebits wrote:Impressive. But wow, that is big. I'm not sure how you'd fit the final piece on a shelf.

I literally rearranged my entire office a week ago, just so I'd have enough room to install an extra-wide shelf for this and the other console rooms.
It's going to look awesome, but I expect most people will just stop at the console.

Return to “Customs”