Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

skifflebits

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby skifflebits » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:47 pm

I could also imagine a display that used only the back half of the support struts for a "cross-section" type effect.
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Re: Bluehinter's Free 3-D printable 5" scale figures & vehicles (Got a printer? Print your own customs!)

Postby bluehinter » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:13 pm

skifflebits wrote:I could also imagine a display that used only the back half of the support struts for a "cross-section" type effect.

It will be totally possible to do that, though there will be some holes in the floor base where the struts are supposed to connect.

So here's what I finally finished painting today:

Features include:

• Whomping arms
  • Moving guns
  • Rotating radar dish (can be made to spin with a rubber band, but I didn't want to risk breaking it)
  • Swappable number plates
  • Remote controllable with two GoBrix motors!

I promised the folks on Facebook I'd post a video of me driving the War Machine around when it was complete, so here is the "technically correct" version of that video. https://youtu.be/T94cyzIkXmI

I say "technically correct" because the ThinkGeek GoBrix motors, while easy to install, are too under-powered to move the War Machine around reliability. What you see here is an edited clip showing the few times it *didn't* stall out and fail to move.

The design is supposed to incorporate 4 different RC motors (2 for drive, one for the arms, and 1 for the radar dish) and mechanically it works fine. Practically, I had to strip all but the drive motors out, then carve up the insides with a soldering iron to get the weight down to a point where it would mostly trundle forward. Even so, it still didn’t have the torque required to turn.

I will be uploading a super-stripped-down version that cuts off every spare bit of internal surface area possibly that may make future printings easier to drive, but for now, it still functions fine as a regular non-RC toy.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:52 pm

:o That looks really nice!

skifflebits

Postby skifflebits » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:02 pm

Radom question: Have you considered doing a junkyard Dalek from "Resolution?"

Or has anyone else put one on line?
Life's too short to engage with chuckleheads.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 am

skifflebits wrote:Radom question: Have you considered doing a junkyard Dalek from "Resolution?"

Or has anyone else put one on line?

I'm not really interested in doing New Who for multiple reasons, but the big one is that the new series is far more aggressive when it comes to pursuing copyright infringement, and I don't want to risk my entire project sculpting a monster I don't really care that much about, and would probably end up having to pull eight months from now when Character Options or one of the other licensed toy companies eventually decide to get off their asses and release an official figure.

You should check Thingiverse occasionally though. Somebody somewhere will probably make one eventually, especially as there's already a new series Dalek available to use as a base.

bluehinter

Postby bluehinter » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:44 am

I've updated my templates page and added a new Beta version of The War Machine to Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EXLSnterjCvwVkx8FQDCBJeig8UEcpDx

Cosmetically, the only noticeable difference from V3 is that the light panels on the sides have the correct number of cells now, but internally, it has been completely redesigned.
It should be safe to print if you don't intend to motorize it. If you *do* intend to motorize it, it's got an entirely new and untested cam system, and I've stripped as much weight from the body as possible in the hopes that this will allow the poor GoBrix motors to function as intended. No promises though, and I won't get a chance to reprint again until after the McGann console room is done, which will probably take me at least another 3 or 4 weeks.

Return to “Customs”