Haven't updated on here in about 2 weeks (about half of which was spent feeling sick), so here's a rundown of what's been accomplished since then.
All the arches, console feet, and floor plates are completed. I can't really print anything else brown until I completely finish the design work on the console, so I may switch filament back to grey and start printing the top part of the column tomorrow.
I spent an entire day ripping out and altering the mechanism for making the time rotor move up and down. Instead of an entirely internal mechanism, there's now a small lever on the underside of the console that will make the bottom half of the rotor rise and fall. It's small and out of the way enough that most people shouldn't even know it's there, and I think it'll be a lot more reliable in the long run.
The upper part of the console uses a plunger mechanism and a 40mm spring to keep the rotor raised by default. (Otherwise, due to gravity you'd always have the top rotor just hanging there in the lowest position) and both sections have internal guide rails that should keep them perfectly vertically aligned, and limit the travel path to exactly 10mm. The Seal of Rassilon on the top can be used to operate the plunger, but since this adds 30mm to an already massive design, I've also provided a flat "cap" piece that's not quite so tall, which can just be popped on and off to access the light switch and plunger.
As for the console itself, I've been working on making functionally rotating versions of the destination settings.
Smappy's design had these already, with the idea that you could swap the cylinders out of you wanted more than 6 choices. It's a clever idea, but I don't think it's possible, even with a SLA printer, and especially not after I slightly shrunk everything to make it more screen accurate.
The current plan is to have the cylinders slot in and lock in place from the underside when you're assembling the console, though it's still a leap of faith assuming that they'll print at all.
Each cylinder is about 5 to 6mm across, which is pushing the border of what I'd consider the minimal safe size to print. They will probably print file in SLA, but ideally, I want the entire project to work for anybody with a regular filament printer. Even if the cylinders print, I don't know if the lettering will, but I'll include an alternate blank option for anyone who wants to try using stickers.
I'm slightly flubbing the design a bit by merging the gear toggle with the display for all but the very top row (which is oddly disconnected) the thought being that it might make them slightly easier to spin during play without having to resort to a pin or toothpick. I'm also going to cheat and make the month/day and hour/minute/second cylinders all one piece, again, in the hopes that it'll make filament printing easier.
In other news, I should be uploading files for a slightly improved version of the 20th Anniversary Console in another day or so.
The main changes are creating a deeper spring cavity for the time rotor (which should allow for better range of movement and mean you don't have to cut the 40mm spring in half) tracks and guide rails on all 4 sides to keep the central column level when moving up and down (at least in theory), swapping out the dual LED battery pack hole for a single (it's not really necessary, since a single 20 LED light string works just fine, and the lights should be white rather than multi-colored anyways), splitting up both halves of the console to hopefully improve printing and reduce overhangs. And just because, there's now a removable access panel in the base if you want to have the Doctor do some tinkering. I may make some dummy circuit board components to go inside as well.