Toys R Us may not be dead...

skifflebits

Toys R Us may not be dead...

Post by skifflebits » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:24 pm

At least in the States.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-report-sa ... 1835803495

How this would affect Doctor Who toys remains to be seen, but at least Seven20 would have a retailer beyond "Toots" to sell to.

Effin' Toots, man...!
Be nice or I'll bring back this: https://i.imgur.com/TGx4F7A.jpg

BilliePiperFan

Re: Toys R Us may not be dead...

Post by BilliePiperFan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:26 pm

I grew up going to Toys R Us. It was a sad day when they shut. :cry: :cry:
I don't have a signature. Sad reacts only.

Doctor Gamer

Post by Doctor Gamer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 pm

BilliePiperFan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:26 pm
It wasn’t all bad, at least there were some who figures and whatnot at a cheap price.
Last edited by Doctor Gamer on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Cult of Skaro’s No. 1 Fan

BilliePiperFan

Post by BilliePiperFan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 pm

Doctor Gamer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:29 pm
BilliePiperFan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:26 pm
It wasn’t all bad, at least there were some who figures and whatnot at a cheap price
Well there was that I suppose.
I don't have a signature. Sad reacts only.

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 pm

I hardly ever went to toys r us. I went to the one near luton airport the day before my 18th birthday, and I nearly got their exclusive version of the Eleventh hour set, with the two matts, but I had to leave because my mum needed to rush home to go to the toilet (probably tmi, sorry) and I didn't get it after all. Then when I was in uni there was a TRU near me, but I didn't find out until I'd been there like 3 years, so I only visited for the last couple of years I was there, and they never got any of the doctor/dalek sets I wanted in stock, so I never bought anything there either. I did get my capaldi tardis from TRU, but that was online. Also Night Mcgann, if I remember correctly, I was so paranoid about missing that figure I would get online at like 8 in the morning as soon as I woke up to check if they were in stock so I could buy one straight away if they came up before they sold out. Fun times.

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:47 am

I got some nice stuff from Toys R Us back in the day, the crash set Deborah mentions with the blue bowtie Matt, the Peter Davison and Sea Devil from classics wave 1 and the Fourth Doctor Adventure Set which was great. Probably got a few more new series figures that I can't specifically remember.
I never got any of the Doctor/Dalek packs though, they were released when I went through a period of not buying the figures. Nor did I scoop any bargains when they went under, the idea never occurred to me at the time as I'm a wally :lol: .

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:16 am

Danoftardis wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:47 am
I got some nice stuff from Toys R Us back in the day, the crash set Deborah mentions with the blue bowtie Matt
Yes, I noticed those in your pictures, that's part of what put that back into my head again.

By the tome TRU closed down I'd moved and was about 100miles from the nearest store, so I couldn't really go in to look for bargains.

Avon

Post by Avon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:07 pm

I have very fond memories of my local Toys R Us, but none of it Who unfortunately and surprisingly (Revenge of the Sith, Micro Machines, Men in Black, Power Rangers, Batman, Action Man, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Toy Story, X-Men figures, Lego, buying old games consoles like a Game Cube, videos and DVD's etc). My local one, Dale End in Birmingham went around 06/07 I think, so no Who figures, much like Deborah for awhile that was it unless I traveled 20 miles plus, not really worth it between two comic shops, Smyths, the Entertainer, Woolworths in my local area at the time etc. I did visit one, and bought the first Dalek collectors set, it took 2 hours and the place was an absolute dump though, which tainted the whole experience for me.

I did get a new Toys R Us, but it was in an area both way out of the way and, well, the kind of place that's worse than Skaro where you take a kevlar vest with your shopping bags. I did get Missy from them, though, along with two classic sonics.

It's tragic, that old Dale End store became an Ikea, then closed, the area went all to hell and it's sat derelict for years and years now, the above multi story car park becoming a home for drunks, drug users and assorted violent attacks, my bus stop overlooks it and I always think back to the many good times I had back in it's heyday. I'm sure many in the states look at their stores like that - so I'm very very happy for them for potentially getting it back.

Now Woolworths, that had some good memories!

Deborah J

Post by Deborah J » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:15 pm

Avon wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:07 pm
Now Woolworths, that had some good memories!
Aw, I loved woolworths, that was my favourite shop throughout the whole of my childhood, closed when I was 16, I was heartbroken. First place I ever saw doctor who figures in person, and the place where I got like 90% of my "new" toys growing up (I did get quite a large percentage of my toys at boot sales and similar places). I also have two towels that my mother bought as beach towels to replace one my sister lost on holiday, and they are still the main towels I use. One of them came to uni with me and weirdly it's in much better condition, despite being used a lot more over the 5 years I was there, the one that stayed at home is quite frayed now. My first doctor who dvd also came from woolworths, that was very near the end, though, I think. Got lots of Dvds and even more videos there. I miss Woolworths. :(

Danoftardis

Post by Danoftardis » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:26 pm

I used to love Woolworths as well. So much great stuff from there, many Who figures, loads of other toys not Who related. Like Deborah my first Who DVD also came from Woolies, Destiny of the Daleks in 2007. It was just a brilliant shop, nothing like it now anywhere I think.

I was absolutely gutted when it closed. My local one is now a clothes store called 'Fat Face', why you'd buy clothes from a shop that says your face is fat I don't know :? . I'd give a lot to have Woolworths back in my town.