What ever happened to the big boys?

bad geminton

What ever happened to the big boys?

Postby bad geminton » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 pm

Has anyone else noticed that neither of our full mods have been online in nearly a month? Where did they go? And am I right in thinking theyre the only two with full mod powers? Can the section-specific mods swing the banhammer, or are they only able to tidy threads in their little areas? Because if it's the latter we should totally make the most of this lack of authority, there are half a dozen parts of the forum with no mod control, we could run riot, we could have another flamewar...

Please? I really hope there's somone out there mad enough to, because this place is a boring wilderness these days. That's probably why marcus has buggered off.
Don't worry, I'm not stopping here long...

Whovastron

Re: What ever happened to the big boys?

Postby Whovastron » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:55 pm

Flamewar... blimey the flashbacks, what have you brought upon me BG!

I don’t even know who the mods are these days, this place has had tumbleweeds blowing for like 2 years now. It might come back if the new series brings huge success and merchandise, but if not..nah. It’s a shame, Gallifreybase is atrocious to use on iPhone so I’ve never got on board with it, all my Doctor Who chat is basically here.

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:25 am

bad geminton wrote:Has anyone else noticed that neither of our full mods have been online in nearly a month? Where did they go? And am I right in thinking theyre the only two with full mod powers? Can the section-specific mods swing the banhammer, or are they only able to tidy threads in their little areas? Because if it's the latter we should totally make the most of this lack of authority, there are half a dozen parts of the forum with no mod control, we could run riot, we could have another flamewar...

Please? I really hope there's somone out there mad enough to, because this place is a boring wilderness these days. That's probably why marcus has buggered off.

As section mods we only have as you say "tidy up"/moderator functions and as far as I'm aware the only two mods with full control are Melkur who hasn't been online since January and Marcus who was last on a month ago.

I'm sure the other section mods would agree with me when I say whilst we don't control what happens on the rest of the forum we still do our best to moderate our sections but we I think having a more active full moderator is a better idea. I did message Marcus a while back suggesting making up a new moderator or upgrading a section mod to a full moderator.
Although I stress to add that I explicitly took myself out of the running in my message to him, as whilst I am active on this forum I know that I have had my fair share of disagreements with people on here so I'm not prepared to fan any flames, I'm happy staying as a section mod.

But I do hope that the new series does bring renewed success, merchandise and along with it activity!

bad geminton

Postby bad geminton » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:12 pm

I was a moderator for about a week and a half about 8 or 9 years ago. It was every bit as gloriously chaotic as you would probably imagine it would be. I'd offer my services again, but I feel like I wouldn't really be anyone's first choice for having that sort of power.

Doctor What

Postby Doctor What » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:30 pm

Yes I think some more full mods would be useful, as although it's quiet, if something does happen then we're a little stuck. CO have updated their Facebook banner to a new Doctor Who one, so they've at least remembered that they still make Doctor Who toys, which could mean new stuff isn't far away.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:35 am

bad geminton wrote:I was a moderator for about a week and a half about 8 or 9 years ago. It was every bit as gloriously chaotic as you would probably imagine it would be. I'd offer my services again, but I feel like I wouldn't really be anyone's first choice for having that sort of power.

Dyou remember when it was so busy here we have the rotating moderator? I remember when I did it, I was really busy that week so never really actually came on, the mods weren’t to happy with how I didn’t make use of the responsibility :lol:

TW.

bad geminton

Postby bad geminton » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:24 pm

Whovastron wrote:
bad geminton wrote:I was a moderator for about a week and a half about 8 or 9 years ago. It was every bit as gloriously chaotic as you would probably imagine it would be. I'd offer my services again, but I feel like I wouldn't really be anyone's first choice for having that sort of power.

Dyou remember when it was so busy here we have the rotating moderator? I remember when I did it, I was really busy that week so never really actually came on, the mods weren’t to happy with how I didn’t make use of the responsibility :lol:

TW.

Yes, that was the circumstances I was moderator under, I quite enjoyed it, but I got into a massive argument with a couple of the forums past trouble-makers and they complained that it was unprofessional for mods to be weighing in on arguments like that. Even though they were clearly talking rubbish in the first place.

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:06 am

Can’t believe I’ve been on this forum for nearly 8 years...that’s just nuts. I really, really hope that the new series brings back popularity, and with it merchandise, and with that a more lively forum. Although with the current toy climate, I can’t see Doctor Who merch faring well at all. The time of the original run of figures was at the most perfect moment for them to be popular, a lot has changed in the past 12 years.

TW.

Neon Wolf

Postby Neon Wolf » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:34 am

Think it's worth pointing out that although I haven't posted in what seems like forever I do still browse the forum frequently and have been doing some mod stuff in the background (deleting double posts, thread merging etc). It's also worth noting that I am a full mod though I don't appear on the list of mods for some reason.

Personally I'm really hoping that the new series brings a lot more interest back to the brand because as it stands Doctor Who has become wallpaper television and by that I mean it's on but no one really pays much attention to it outside of the fandom. We've moved past the 50th anniversary which was the last big thing for the brand and I think the higher ups at the BBC realize this which is why they've brought in the first female Doctor as a way to stoke up interest. Hopefully it does indeed get the boost it needs to make merchandising more profitable otherwise you won't see much more outside of pencil cases and lunch boxes.

Anyway I'll try to post a bit more, I've been into Marvel Legends and Lego items as the Who line went by the wayside so maybe I can post about those if there are people on the forum with similar interests. Must say that it's nice to see so many of the people I used to talk to are still here, hope to talk to you all soon.

bad geminton

Postby bad geminton » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:29 am

I also can't help noticing we've had no new members in about 2 months. I can't tell if that's because interest in joining dropped away all of a sudden or if there's just a queue of people waiting to get in, but no-one approving entry. Either way, that's kind of concerning, people will drift away over time, if no-one's coming in to replace them we're going to get even more like a ghost town.

Return to “Doctor Who Toys”