How2Do : Casting Ainley Master Heads

Moderator: CaptainJimiPie

CaptainJimiPie

How2Do : Casting Ainley Master Heads

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:10 pm

I found myself in need of some Ainley heads for future customs so taking a leaf from KM’s post (as well as some advice) I had a go at casting my own.

For the full start to finish/step by step process you can see my video on it here :
https://youtu.be/FBQNUfb1M6Q

For this I used a polycraft silicone and fibreglass resin mini kit from Amazon
D3959B28-A092-4B8C-A0FA-B4CE20A5D736.jpeg
D3959B28-A092-4B8C-A0FA-B4CE20A5D736.jpeg (111.83 KiB) Viewed 435 times

To start I used hot glue to fix the Ainley head into a disposable (plastic) shot glass, then when thar was dry mix up the silicone and pour into the shot glass.
After leaving it for atleast 8 hours (overnight in my case) I broke the shot glass open and making a small cut either side of the mould base, prised the original Ainley Head out
E1178005-8C80-4C6B-B64F-8BC5E8AC3DF1.jpeg
E1178005-8C80-4C6B-B64F-8BC5E8AC3DF1.jpeg (47.68 KiB) Viewed 435 times

The next step was mixing up the resin and pouring that into the mould, this time leaving it for 24-26 hours to set, and again afterward carefully prising the new casting from the mould
4E063166-0CEB-4BEC-B286-226E435CBD43.jpeg
4E063166-0CEB-4BEC-B286-226E435CBD43.jpeg (52.64 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Not perfect for the first attempt, a few bubbles and gap here and there but with a bit of Milliput I can fill in any gaps

Lastly here is the original, one of my castings and one painted up, again with the painted one not perfect for my first proper attempt at painting a head but I’m happy with it
CB3BDD61-EC6B-4434-A5E1-448D874ACB8E.jpeg
CB3BDD61-EC6B-4434-A5E1-448D874ACB8E.jpeg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 435 times

EmeraldThorn

Re: How2Do : Casting Ainley Master Heads

Postby EmeraldThorn » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:32 pm

The cast just shows how strong the likeness is, good work.

CaptainJimiPie

Postby CaptainJimiPie » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:40 pm

EmeraldThorn wrote:The cast just shows how strong the likeness is, good work.

That is half the issue with CO's figures, when you look at the sculpts before they are painted they really are a fantastic likeness for the actors, but the paint application ends up hiding half of that, especially when it's done badly

ADandyAndAClown

Postby ADandyAndAClown » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:02 pm

CaptainJimiPie wrote:
EmeraldThorn wrote:The cast just shows how strong the likeness is, good work.

That is half the issue with CO's figures, when you look at the sculpts before they are painted they really are a fantastic likeness for the actors, but the paint application ends up hiding half of that, especially when it's done badly

While thick paint has always been a bit of an issue, it seems that over the past 4 years or so, the issue has gotten much worse. Take the S9 Capaldi for example - Affable Designs, who created the sculpt, posted photos of the 3D render on their Facebook page. These photos show just how detailed the sculpt is. Obviously, not all of the details like hair strands and wrinkles would have made it into the final sculpt, but the end result is so soft and smooth that it hardly even looks like Capaldi.

Capaldi sculpt change.jpg
Capaldi sculpt change.jpg (138.31 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Last edited by ADandyAndAClown on Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah, there you are! I seem to be stuck up here. Hmm? Oh, so you're my replacements. Hmm. A dandy and a clown. Have you done anything?"

"Uh, well we've assessed the situation-"

"Just as I thought! Hmm. Nothing."

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:22 pm

ADandyAndAClown wrote:On the other hand, sometimes the paint is applied so thickly that it hides the details of the sculpt underneath. Take the S9 Capaldi for example - Affable Designs, who created the sculpt, posted photos of the 3D render on their Facebook page. These photos show just how detailed the sculpt is. Obviously, not all of the details like hair strands and wrinkles would have made it into the final sculpt, but the end result is so soft and smooth that it hardly even looks like Capaldi.

Capaldi sculpt change.jpg

Oh my goodness, I've never seen that before, that's really amazing, it looks so much like Capaldi, can you imagine if the figure had even one third as much detail as that? I mean I think the figure we got looks like him, not so much the previous one (I only have one s8 headed capaldi figure, I call him sad capaldi and I always just want to give him a hug and cheer him up a bit) but the sculpt itself there just looks so much more like him, it's like the real peter capaldi.

ADandyAndAClown

Postby ADandyAndAClown » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Deborah J wrote:Oh my goodness, I've never seen that before, that's really amazing, it looks so much like Capaldi, can you imagine if the figure had even one third as much detail as that? I mean I think the figure we got looks like him, not so much the previous one (I only have one s8 headed capaldi figure, I call him sad capaldi and I always just want to give him a hug and cheer him up a bit) but the sculpt itself there just looks so much more like him, it's like the real peter capaldi.

They've posted multiple photos of the sculpts they've done over the past few years. I think I'm right in saying this, but I think that every headsculpt produced over the past 3-4 years has been sculpted by them. Sad, really, since their photos show how detailed the sculpts are, but the in-hand heads look like they're half-melted.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheAffableD ... e_internal
"Ah, there you are! I seem to be stuck up here. Hmm? Oh, so you're my replacements. Hmm. A dandy and a clown. Have you done anything?"

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:40 pm

ADandyAndAClown wrote:They've posted multiple photos of the sculpts they've done over the past few years. I think I'm right in saying this, but I think that every headsculpt produced over the past 3-4 years has been sculpted by them. Sad, really, since their photos show how detailed the sculpts are, but the in-hand heads look like they're half-melted.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheAffableD ... e_internal

Those are really interesting, none of them are quite as detailed as that capaldi sculpt, but really nice. Do you know what the story is with that clara head? Because that's not what the hair is like on the clara we have, it looks like a different figure, is it the teeny tiny scale one?

ADandyAndAClown

Postby ADandyAndAClown » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Deborah J wrote:Those are really interesting, none of them are quite as detailed as that capaldi sculpt, but really nice. Do you know what the story is with that clara head? Because that's not what the hair is like on the clara we have, it looks like a different figure, is it the teeny tiny scale one?

It's actually the head sculpt used for the Big Chief Studios Clara figure.
clara heads.jpg
clara heads.jpg (66.84 KiB) Viewed 319 times

Whovastron

Postby Whovastron » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:19 pm

ADandyAndAClown wrote:
Deborah J wrote:Those are really interesting, none of them are quite as detailed as that capaldi sculpt, but really nice. Do you know what the story is with that clara head? Because that's not what the hair is like on the clara we have, it looks like a different figure, is it the teeny tiny scale one?

It's actually the head sculpt used for the Big Chief Studios Clara figure.
clara heads.jpg

Imo, the painted version there looks nothing like her, but the sculpt does, and yet it’s painted well. Bizarre.

It’s always a shame that the sculpts have been butchered with paintin recent years. There obviously some cost or machinery limitation reason for it, but compare the 1st Doctor from 2009 to the one in the 13 Doctors Set and the difference is insane.

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

ADandyAndAClown

Postby ADandyAndAClown » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:06 pm

Whovastron wrote:Imo, the painted version there looks nothing like her, but the sculpt does, and yet it’s painted well. Bizarre.

It’s always a shame that the sculpts have been butchered with paintin recent years. There obviously some cost or machinery limitation reason for it, but compare the 1st Doctor from 2009 to the one in the 13 Doctors Set and the difference is insane.

TW.

Has anyone ever tried using paint stripper on the 12th Doctor or Curator heads to see how much detail is actually there? The paint is thick, no doubt, but I also think that part of the problem has something to do with Affable's sculpts and moulds. If you look at the figures recently, only the figures that have been produced by Affable Designs have the super soft sculpts - NOTD McGann, 12th Doctor, Curator, even the Benedict Cumberbatch figure from the Sherlock set had a soft head sculpt. (I know most, if not all of the figures recently released have softer sculpts, but Affable's seem to be the worst affected.)

I'm not saying it's Affable's fault, as it's plain to see that their sculpts are extremely detailed, but it seems that the process of printing and moulding the heads has softened the sculpt a decent amount, and is worsened by thick and sloppy paint. Although, the Bill Potts and 13th Doctor sculpts both look quite good. Granted, Bill doesn't have as many wrinkles and imperfections as 12 or the Curator, and 13 is twice the size of the standard head sculpts, but the detail in the two is far sharper than on other Affable sculpts. Looking at the hair, in particular on Bill, confirms this. I don't have a photo on hand, but the detail in Bill's hair is astounding after the recent sculpts we've been getting.

Return to “Customs”