Face Sculpts and likenesses

Whovastron

Face Sculpts and likenesses

Postby Whovastron » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:41 pm

Okay so as a community, there’s always bashing of products we get, it happens with every collectors community. ‘Too expensive’ ‘to rare’ ‘too tall’ etc. All valid criticisms of course.

But I just wanna take a moment to open a discussion about something sorely under appreciated with CO’s Doctor Who figure line. And that is sculpts, specifically actors likenesses. They are almost always brilliant, and 8/10 times painted to match. Compare a figure from the 13th Doctors boxset with any Star Wars Black Series figure, and I garuntee that the CO figure is better. I was just watching a video on YouTube where someone said the Marvel Legends Infinity War Black Widow was an amazing likeness for a £25 figure (and this is a guy that is used to Hot Toys sculpts). And I just had to laugh. In the £18 B&M 3 figure packs, the sculpts are almost all spot on. Imo Missy and Clara aren’t amazing, but all the others are brilliant. And even the paint apps, which have been shoddy with the B&M sets, still somehow look more natural and less ‘plasticy’ than the Hasbro £20* ranges.

So share the love guys! What are you favourite sculpts? What ones have had the best improvements? And what are your least favourites?

Favourites for me include Hartnell, Dr, Constantine, the War Doctor and the 3rd Doctor. They are all just 100 spot on. Dr. Constantine is eerily lifelike to the actor. Roger Delgado and Ainely are also amazing.

For improvements, Capaldi’s second sculpt is far better, they didn’t have to do it, but they did. Also the slight thinning of Jon Pertwee’s sculpt for post-2009 releases is such a subtle but impressive choice.

Least favourites probably go to both John Simm sculpts, the initial Capaldi, and the second Doctor (the second Doctor does look good, but the expression just isn’t his character to me)

TW.
Been on here 7 years...blimey

ADandyAndAClown

Re: Face Sculpts and likenesses

Postby ADandyAndAClown » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:17 am

Whovastron wrote:Compare a figure from the 13th Doctors boxset with any Star Wars Black Series figure, and I garuntee that the CO figure is better.

I would agree with you on that, but since Hasbro started using face printing technology, their figures do look quite good. Imagine if CO did that to their figures. I'd happy buy/rebuy all the Doctors, companions, monsters, and other characters if it meant more accurate paint work. Not that theirs is all bad - look at the original Hartnell and Troughton figures. Hell, any figure from the early years of the Classic line. I think their Sixth Doctor figure should be applauded. While not entirely accurate to his costume, the patterns were produced more accurately than most companies would even attempt to do. (Sorry, got on a bit of an unrelated tangent. :lol: )

In regards to sculpts, I have to agree with you for most of them. I do think that the Troughton expression is a bit grumpier than his character truly was, but he certainly had his serious moments, and would pull a face nearly exactly like the CO figure's. For me, the S18 Tom was a real highlight, especially when compared to their already brilliant S12-S17 headsculpts. The slight changes in his face - droopier neck and jowls, the gaunt cheeks, the slight creases around the eyes - are simply astounding. I feel like most of the Classic Who figures had better likenesses to their characters than New Who did (which is odd, considering all of the New Who figures were 3D scans of the actor's/actress's faces). The clear standout for me though would have to be Pertwee. While we think Pertwee is just some white hair, a big nose, and a stern expression, to actually make a sculpt that resembles him is quite tricky. The Titans bust of Pertwee is a perfect example of this; it has all the features of Pertwee, all the details correct, yet something seems ever so slightly off, which ends up throwing the whole figure off. CO's Pertwee, to me at least, is near-identical to the man himself. (on another side note, I can't wait for Big Chief's 3rd Doctor - that sculpt is simply gorgeous <3)

While CO has had its fair share of "nearly there" and "not quite" likenesses, I feel that more often than not, they had "shrunken actor" likenesses. I wish CO had the money to produce more figures - I'd love to see classic companions like Susan, Jamie and Zoe, Romana I and II, and Nyssa, Tegan, and Adric as figures. If only... :cry:
"Ah, there you are! I seem to be stuck up here. Hmm? Oh, so you're my replacements. Hmm. A dandy and a clown. Have you done anything?"

"Uh, well we've assessed the situation-"

"Just as I thought! Hmm. Nothing."

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:44 am

I love the idea of this thread, we need more positivity in our lives.

Personally, I think most of the sculpts have been really impressive S18 tom baker is one I'd definitely agree with, he aged a lot when he was in the show, particularly towards the end, so having a head that reflects that is really impressive. Also the really old old man tom figure, from Day of the Doctor, that one is just wonderful, the body they kind of messed up a little, but his head is wonderful. Also - and this is a personal favourite of mine that I've mentioned before - I love the Julian Glover head from City of Death. for someone with less prominant features than a lot of the doctors for instance have, the likeness is amazing. I also think that the brigadier sculpt deserves some praise, the paint work might be kind of variable from figure to figure (from what I can gather, Axos head got the best paint) the sculpt itself is really good, they even have that funny little line under his mouth that is a small feature but quite characterful. I also think Peri is a great likeness, the female characters seem to have less consistant results - there is one good and one bad head for jo, to my knowledge, leela is ok but could be better, but I think Peri is the best of the lot. I agree with Dandyclown, I'd love to have all of those companions, in fact I'd happily see multiple variants of them - even characters like Nyssa and Tegan had a few costume changes, if I could have a burgandy velvet Nyssa and a blue/yellow mawdryn Nyssa that would be lovely. I'd even take a Deckchair outfit Nyssa. And Tegan had 5 costumes. I''d also like a classic series sarah jane, the new series one just doesn't quite fill the hole for me, even though I have three of her.

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:26 pm

I would like a Nyssa, Tegan & Adric.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 pm

I was reading the 5th doctor mr men book today, and I want them even more now, they're such a fun little gang.

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Deborah J wrote:I was reading the 5th doctor mr men book today, and I want them even more now, they're such a fun little gang.

Agreed, I think the first 5th doctor series was really strong tbh.

Figures please. ;) :lol:

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:48 am

Galifreyan wrote:
Deborah J wrote:I was reading the 5th doctor mr men book today, and I want them even more now, they're such a fun little gang.

Ive bèen watching s19 recently, Im really enjoying it. the only problem for me is that my favourite nyssa outfit is mawdryn undead and my favorite tegan outfit is warriors of the deep/awakening, but I feel if we had the set of 3 theyd need to really be in their s19 outfits to look right together.

Galifreyan

Postby Galifreyan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Deborah J wrote:
Galifreyan wrote:

Ive bèen watching s19 recently, Im really enjoying it. the only problem for me is that my favourite nyssa outfit is mawdryn undead and my favorite tegan outfit is warriors of the deep/awakening, but I feel if we had the set of 3 theyd need to really be in their s19 outfits to look right together.

Yeah I agree they would look best as a set of 3 in their s19 outfits together. My favourite Tegan outfit would be the one from Resurrection of the Daleks and my first choice for a figure though.

Deborah J

Postby Deborah J » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Galifreyan wrote:Yeah I agree they would look best as a set of 3 in their s19 outfits together. My favourite Tegan outfit would be the one from Resurrection of the Daleks and my first choice for a figure though.

ressurection of the daleks is another lovely costume, Id easily buy a figure of that. tegans wardrobe for that last year or so was pretty great, really, Id be pretty happy to raid her wardrobe for myself. I mean I have quite a similar haircut to s21 tegan at the moment, so Id fairly look the part. All of Nyssas clothes are lovely too, the peter davison tardis crew was a very well dressed one

Return to “5" Figures”