Controversial Opinions!

Anything About Doctor Who *Caution Spoilers*

Moderator: Doctor What

Whovastron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby Whovastron » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:12 am

The 4th Doctor is...fine. I used to think he was great, but in a documentary on one of the DVDs they talked about how much of a dick Tom Baker was on set after a few seasons, it seems the 4th arrogant personality traits might not have been just acting... really put me off the guy.

TW.
Been on here 8 years...blimey

The Outcast
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby The Outcast » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:21 am

Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear.

This is a question that probably shouldn't have been asked...

1: Looms are canon.

2: Day of the Doctor isn't very good and massively overrated.

3: Series 11 doesn't deserve a lot of the hate it gets. It's not the best Series in the world, but it's not as bad as Combat Rock or Fear Her. It certainly doesn't deserve all this "#NotMyDoctor, too PC" garbage.

4: Series 9 is the worst Series/Season of Doctor Who.

5: Resolution is one of the stronger NuWho Dalek stories.

6: Canon exists, and all licensed Doctor Who and Doctor Who character media is a part of it, the trick is fitting it together.

7: The War Doctor is the worst Doctor. Whilst John Hurt is really, really great in the role, the idea doesn't work at all, especially with it's execution. It would have been better if they'd just brought back 8.

8: The Daleks work best when at war with themselves.

War: I think 7's TV Movie outfit is his best one...

9: Davros needs to be in more stuff, because he's great.

10: the upcoming Sil Movie is more of a Doctor Who spin-off than Class was.

11: The latter two 7th Doctor Seasons are some of Who's very best stuff

12: We need more stuff with Frobisher in god damn it!

13: I really like the secrecy of Doctor Who's filming under Chibnall's reign, even if the TV stories aren't the greatest.

User avatar
EmeraldThorn
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:57 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby EmeraldThorn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:21 am

10 is my least favorite for all the reasons listed but has grown on me
I don't have a set favorite as it varies
Series 1 is my least favorite season
Rose is overrated
I like 6's coat
There was nothing controversial about Colin's run, people were just looking to complain
Same as above for Series 11
I loved Resolution
5 is underrated
Clara was more likeable than Rose
Simm's Master was good but overrated
Classic era dvd's shouldn't suddenly have modern era logos
RTD era was just alright
I prefer the less organic looking console rooms
Capaldi is the best new era Doctor
K-9 is a great companion

That's off the top of my head, may add more later.

User avatar
SarahJaneFan
Posts: 1259
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:54 pm

1. Spearhead from Space is terrible

2. Love and Monsters is extremely underrated

3. The Eleventh Doctor is a rubbish gimmick and massive sexist creep

4. Big Finish is more canon than the TV Show

5. The definitive holy trinity of Doctors are Colin, Billy Fluffers and Paul, anyone else is just an imposter.

6. Series 11 is both overrated and underrated when really it’s just average and there’s nothing particularly offensive about it.

7. There’s more “SJW propaganda” in the Moffat era than there was in Series 11.

8. Charley Pollard is overrated and I actually like Tamsin

9. Tom Baker is only popular because he’s like the perfect American interpretation of the Doctor, aside from Matt Smith. Otherwise he’s just average and Tom Baker himself is make interesting than the character he plays.

10. The Doctor never loved Rose romantically and on the beach in Doomsday he was just telling her what she wanted to hear like with Charley in Scherzo.

11. Susan, Peri and Mel are actually really good characters.

12. Canon doesn’t exist but equally because of that, everything is also canon simultaneously. With a lack of a policy for canon, everything counts, therefore everything is canon. Which then makes the term redundant because everything is included. At least everything licensed anyway, obviously charity anthologies don’t count.
Image
Helen Sinclair, Don’t You Dare!
Member Since June 2013

The Outcast
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:14 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby The Outcast » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:41 pm

How dare you call the 7th Doctor an imposter!!! :x

(only kidding, obvs, opinions and all that)

Anyway, here's a real Controversial (surprisingly) opinion for you: The War Chief and the Master are one and the same.

User avatar
SarahJaneFan
Posts: 1259
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:20 pm

The Outcast wrote:How dare you call the 7th Doctor an imposter!!! :x

(only kidding, obvs, opinions and all that)

Anyway, here's a real Controversial (surprisingly) opinion for you: The War Chief and the Master are one and the same.




Don’t be disgusting :o

Next you’ll be telling me that Missy is the Rani and the Monk was also the Master all along.
Image
Helen Sinclair, Don’t You Dare!
Member Since June 2013

Whovastron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby Whovastron » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 pm

SarahJaneFan wrote:1. Spearhead from Space is terrible

2. Love and Monsters is extremely underrated

3. The Eleventh Doctor is a rubbish gimmick and massive sexist creep

4. Big Finish is more canon than the TV Show

5. The definitive holy trinity of Doctors are Colin, Billy Fluffers and Paul, anyone else is just an imposter.

6. Series 11 is both overrated and underrated when really it’s just average and there’s nothing particularly offensive about it.

7. There’s more “SJW propaganda” in the Moffat era than there was in Series 11.

8. Charley Pollard is overrated and I actually like Tamsin

9. Tom Baker is only popular because he’s like the perfect American interpretation of the Doctor, aside from Matt Smith. Otherwise he’s just average and Tom Baker himself is make interesting than the character he plays.

10. The Doctor never loved Rose romantically and on the beach in Doomsday he was just telling her what she wanted to hear like with Charley in Scherzo.

11. Susan, Peri and Mel are actually really good characters.

12. Canon doesn’t exist but equally because of that, everything is also canon simultaneously. With a lack of a policy for canon, everything counts, therefore everything is canon. Which then makes the term redundant because everything is included. At least everything licensed anyway, obviously charity anthologies don’t count.

Hit the nail on the head with Tom. He’s popular in fan circles because he is what most middle aged fans remember as their Doctor, so how Tennant will be remembered in decades time. But for Americans, he is the embodiment of this quirky British adventure form the 70s, it’s the nearest to quirky looking modern protagonists classic who has to offer, because Colin looks too extreme, Sylvester is too late in the franchise and everyone else dressed alright

Some more from me:
- series 10 is the worst series of nuwho, it’s more average than series 11 and looks cheaper than the 80s, all the artistic and technical bounds they took in the Moffat era were just ignored.

- Bill is almost as bad as Clara, she is just an amalgamation of all moffats characters. Also why did Moffat have to get her to say she’s gay in every episode, it just makes making her gay redundant if all you’re gonna do is flaunt it rather than actually use that personality aspect. It’s like JK Rowling saying dumbledores gay but not actually showing it.

TW.
Been on here 8 years...blimey

User avatar
SarahJaneFan
Posts: 1259
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby SarahJaneFan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Whovastron wrote:
SarahJaneFan wrote:1. Spearhead from Space is terrible

2. Love and Monsters is extremely underrated

3. The Eleventh Doctor is a rubbish gimmick and massive sexist creep

4. Big Finish is more canon than the TV Show

5. The definitive holy trinity of Doctors are Colin, Billy Fluffers and Paul, anyone else is just an imposter.

6. Series 11 is both overrated and underrated when really it’s just average and there’s nothing particularly offensive about it.

7. There’s more “SJW propaganda” in the Moffat era than there was in Series 11.

8. Charley Pollard is overrated and I actually like Tamsin

9. Tom Baker is only popular because he’s like the perfect American interpretation of the Doctor, aside from Matt Smith. Otherwise he’s just average and Tom Baker himself is make interesting than the character he plays.

10. The Doctor never loved Rose romantically and on the beach in Doomsday he was just telling her what she wanted to hear like with Charley in Scherzo.

11. Susan, Peri and Mel are actually really good characters.

12. Canon doesn’t exist but equally because of that, everything is also canon simultaneously. With a lack of a policy for canon, everything counts, therefore everything is canon. Which then makes the term redundant because everything is included. At least everything licensed anyway, obviously charity anthologies don’t count.

Hit the nail on the head with Tom. He’s popular in fan circles because he is what most middle aged fans remember as their Doctor, so how Tennant will be remembered in decades time. But for Americans, he is the embodiment of this quirky British adventure form the 70s, it’s the nearest to quirky looking modern protagonists classic who has to offer, because Colin looks too extreme, Sylvester is too late in the franchise and everyone else dressed alright

Some more from me:
- series 10 is the worst series of nuwho, it’s more average than series 11 and looks cheaper than the 80s, all the artistic and technical bounds they took in the Moffat era were just ignored.

- Bill is almost as bad as Clara, she is just an amalgamation of all moffats characters. Also why did Moffat have to get her to say she’s gay in every episode, it just makes making her gay redundant if all you’re gonna do is flaunt it rather than actually use that personality aspect. It’s like JK Rowling saying dumbledores gay but not actually showing it.

TW.


Though I basically disagree with your thoughts on Series 10 and Bill, I do agree with you on how she kept going on about how she was gay. Some people dismiss this idea by saying that she doesn’t mention her sexuality anymore than any of the other companions but that’s just not true. The other companions didn’t go around saying they were straight all the time did they?

So why did Bill keep going “by the way I’m gay” instead of just fancying a female character in the story like what would have happened in a story with a straight character.

Also I think it was an insult to the character that she ended up with Heather at the end. Like they actually had a chance to do a proper romantic storyline with that Penny girl and then they were like “Nah Space Puddle tho”.

Plus Rona Munro gave her a weird straight subtext in Eaters Of Light.
Image
Helen Sinclair, Don’t You Dare!
Member Since June 2013

User avatar
EmeraldThorn
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:57 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby EmeraldThorn » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:03 am

Wasn't every episode and I took it as an accurate representation of a lesbian who is constantly hit on by men or has family trying to set them up with men and so exasperatedly had to inform or remind them or in some cases let them down gently. I hated the trope of kill your gays though.

ANewWatchBegins
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:42 pm

Re: Controversial Opinions!

Postby ANewWatchBegins » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:08 am

As for Bill, I'd say the amount of times she mentioned her sexuality is pretty average for an LGBT individual. Coming out isn't one moment and on you go, because it's not expected to be the norm, you come out a number of times in your lifetime to a whole host of different people you encounter. She was travelling around time and space meeting a lot of people, it would have come up. 'Other companions didn't constantly bring up they were straight' doesn't really work as a counter-argument because heterosexuality is the norm, straight people almost never have to announce that, and I think what is meant here is that Bill's sexuality didn't come up anymore than any other companions, she just handled it differently. By this, it's not just coming out, but it's flirting, desire, romance, stuff like that has come up a number of times with most companions, Bill's rebuttal/response to that was just different.

Her sexuality wasn't handled perfectly, I grant people that. The romance with puddle girl wasn't amazing, and she did end up falling into the whole 'kill your gays' trope. Personally, Bill's sexuality wasn't the most prominent feature of her character to me, and I liked her as a companion because for the first time in a very long time she felt like a companion, and fulfilled the role of companion much better than most Moffat era companions - she was inquisitive, she was relatable, she wasn't the most special person in the universe, it wasn't all about her and she definitely felt like a much more accessible way into the Doctor's life for the audience, much more so than Clara.


Return to “Doctor Who Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests